“Beyond delicious!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Oakwood Canadian Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #28 of 3,035 Restaurants in Vancouver
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: MacDonald
Transit: Bus stops within a block
Vancouver, Canada
“Beyond delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

One of my clients brought me here last week, and it was an extraordinary place! The food was beyond delicious. We ordered seared gnocchi, brisket poutine, duck cannelloni, and the kale salad. I heard that they have good burgers too, but we didn;t get a chance to order. All dishes were creatively decorated and were a feast for the eyes. The atmosphere was a combination of rustic and funky. Service was excellent. Definitely one of the top restaurants in Vancouver.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

“Amazed - a restaurant I will enthusiastically recommend to friends!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

(Disclaimer: I love Vancouver & Canada, hence a 5 instead of 4.5 rating.) Decided to try this new restaurant during my holiday given the good ratings on Trip advisor. And it did not disappoint us. I always love the cozy n warm decor provided by wood furnishing. Good settings. Honestly not sure what Canadian cuisine is other than poutine. They don't have a big menu, but I like the idea of sharing plates. We ordered raw tuna (fresh, love the sauce), warm kale salad (distinct taste, quite strong for me but my hubby loves it), artic char (nicely done with smoke cauliflower purée) and finished off with lemon meringue pie (well balanced, delicious!) Topped with great services, we are definitely coming back and will recommend to all my friends!

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“very creative food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We were visiting Vancouver from the states and decided to try The Oakwood after reading the rave reviews on TA. We were not disappointed. The food is so creative and yummy. I started with the "smoking barrel" drink. It was so unusual...and delicious. The warm kale salad was great and so were the mussels. The portions are perfect for sharing and it allows you try more that one item. I would highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited April 2013
Edmonton, Canada
“Amazed-too bad I don't live in Vancouver”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Truly some of the best food we have ever tasted. A huge and diverse selection of dishes. It was suggested we share and that worked out perfectly. We were there for over three hours-very well paced service. We left filled up--yet not that feeling of being unable to continue the evening due to being bloated and needing a nap. We had several bevies and two bottles of wine--I was surprised at the inexpensive check at the end. A definite must do, when you are in Vancouver.

Vancouver, Canada
“Disappointing-”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I don't get the hype! We saw this so high on Tripadvisor and specially selected it because of this. Unfortunately, it did not impress.
Yes, it's a nice room, but-
1)Short response from hostess when I called to reserve, 'first come first served'..I get it, but there is a more polite, professional way to deliver that message-
2)Service-average..kept coming by to see if we were ready to order...catching up with friend, so no real hurry, plus restaurant wasn't that busy....no 'wow' factor-no recommendations-had to ask for features(?)
3)Food..borrrrring-went for brunch and was really disappointed. Hashbrowns dry and cold-other items on plates very average...Only nice touch was the almond butter and homemade ketchup-bread also pretty good(kind of sweet).
4)Coffee was constantly topped up-that was nice.
5)No acknowledgement upon exit-
Warmth in this restaurant is lacking..I think the positive reviews are not given by guests who actually dine out a lot, but rather by 'locals' who are just comfortable in this AVERAGE place.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere