“Great Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sandman Hotel Vancouver City Centre

You added Sandman Hotel Vancouver City Centre to your Saves list
Sandman Hotel Vancouver City Centre
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   180 West Georgia Street, Vancouver, British Columbia V6B 4P4, Canada   |
Ranked #70 of 96 Hotels in Vancouver
Lancashire.U.K.
“Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

Ideal location at the lower end of Georgia Street, 10 minute walk to China Town and only 3 or 4 mins more to Gas Town. A 15 minute walk will see you in the heart of downtown Vancouver. A 10 minute $10 cab ride will see you at theCanada Place cruise terminal.
Rooms are spacious and comfortable and a decent choice of bars and eateries within the hotel.
Prices are very reasonable and car parking is underground .

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
sandvan, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Vancouver City Centre, responded to this review, July 29, 2009
Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of the staff and management, please accept my apologies for your disappointment.

There is absolutely no reasonable explanation for the carpet being wet between the bathroom and bed, however be assured once this concern was brought to our attention, the issue would have been properly resolved by the maintenance department.

The pigeons is an on-going concern, due to our location and overall building design and configuration. Please be assured the guestroom outside windows have been properly cleaned and a proper schedule of cleaning implemented with a qualified window cleaning company.

The two elevators for the north tower is extremely busy, especially for a tower with 216 guestrooms. Unfortunately we are unable to rectify this concern as we are restricted to the original design that was implemented almost 35 years ago.

Again, thank you for sharing your concerns and our apology for your disappointment.

Respectfully,

Sandman Vancouver City Centre

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Vancouver Island
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2009

Pros:
- Excellent location for events at GM place / going downtown
- Secure parking ($11 a night)

Cons:
- Window was covered in bird poop
- Carpet between bathroom and bed was soaking wet
- Pigeons created a next in the wall between rooms. Could hear them all night
- Elevators take FOR EVER to get to your floor and when they do you have to pack in like sardines
- Not worth the price (We paid $200 for 2 people, 1 night) I guess you are paying for location

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Victoria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2009

Summary:
I hope this company learns there lesson that things could have been worse with BLOCKED EMERGENCY EXITS, NO LIGHTED EXIT SIGNS IN THE HALLWAYS AND NO DIRECTION MAP FOR EXITS ON THE HOTEL ROOM DOORS.

Lets start with the fact that the front desk staff let us know that because we didnt book directly with them, that we were not elgible for a free up grade and to call them directly and they will match expedia etc... WHY WOULD YOU TELL ME THIS IF I WAS NOT ELGIBLE......Got over it off and went on with my night.

****4am in the morning fire alarms went off, smoke filled the 3rd floor or at least that what i thought. Nope someone let the smoke extinguishers off and filled the air, couldnt see anything.. Why couldnt I find the emergency exit. 1: NO MAP on the back of my door and 2: NO EXIT SIGNS that were lite up, just a white sign that says stairs. In a hallway of smoke you cant see ANYTHING. Ran down the stairs to get to the bottom of the emergency exit that was BLOCKED OFF with lumber (Crown molding i think) a few feet tall that people had to climb over. What would have happened if this was a real fire......Fire department fanned out that floor and the staff send us back to sleep in a room filled with fire extinguisher smoke...who sleeps in that!!!!! Got moved to another room after an hour of asking for someone to help move my stuff to a new room. Finally once the police came, the staff helped me move my stuff to another room.

Spoke with the day manager the next morning and again made us feel horrible that we used a third party company (example expedia) to book our hotel stay and couldnt do anything for us for what we went through. She did ask if we would stay there again and maybe give us a little discount next time... Next time!!!!!!!! I said I wold never stay here every again. She then said that shes had people in the past that were unhappy and stayed with then the second time and very happy... ahahahahahahah.. I guess I am not the only unhappy customer.....

I hope everyone reads this and knows how unsafe this hotel is......

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Nanaimo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2009

My son and I stayed at the hotel as to be close to GM Place for a Canucks game. I really enjoyed the close proximity to the venue and that is the main reason we stayed there. I was very disappointed with all the time we had wasted in the elevator as the security cards were not being read properly and it was very frustrating trying to get off onto the proper floor. Also found a very rude waitress in Moxie's that seemed that she could not handle the busy crowds too well. Service there was poor as the wait for a table she said could be up to 3 hrs. (For two people?) Wow! Sorry but we a game to catch so we opted instead to grab some food at the arena instead of wasting time waiting some more. I would stay at the hotel again as long as the elevator problem had been fixed as I would not want to go through that torture again and would probably find another local restaurant in case the hotel was booked solid.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Vancouver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2009

Stayed there for a hockey game. Staff were extremely rude and the hallway smelled like a university dorm. Though it was low priced for downtown Vancouver I would've expected a lot more and afterward found much better deals to be had. Never again.

• Liked — That I only had to spend 1 night there
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
sandvan, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Vancouver City Centre, responded to this review, February 19, 2009
On behalf of the staff and management, please accept my apologies for your disappointment as it is also ours.

There is absolutely no reasonable explanation for the poor level of service you experienced, please be assured a quality assurance program is in play to cease this type fo unacceptable practice from being repeated.

There are advantages and challenges to our locations, especially being so close to the various major events at GM Place and or BC Place. We have implemented certain criterias to ensure our hotel guest understand the hotel is for sleeping accomodations and not for additional activities that may affect other hotel guest. This is an on-going challenge that we fully expect to slowly overcome with positive results.

Since you experienced a disappointment, please contact me via email so a proper solution can be agreed for us to have another opportunity to welcome you back to the Sandman Vancouver City Centre Hotel.

Sandman Vancouver City Centre
Montreal
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2008

This shabby hotel needs work.

The first room I had was next to the elevator, which made a lot of noise. It was a tiny room, all bed, hardly any floor space, and no drawers for clothes.

I called and asked for another room and they obliged.

It was bigger (still no dresser drawers) and farther from the elevator.

Called for room service: "We don't deliver to your tower when it's this busy." Oh.

Went to cash traveler's cheques at the front desk. "I have a small float. I can only cash $100 today." Oh.

I woke up the next day with a couple of red bites on my side. The day after, more bites on my arms and hands.

I was sitting on the bed working on my laptop when a little mouse ran across the room. My final straw. I went down to the front desk to let them know. They offered me another room. I said I'd look and see. It smelled horribly of cigarette smoke.

I got on expedia and got myself booked at another hotel (which was fantastic - Century Plaza Hotel and Spa).

I asked if they'd received word of these problems before.
"Well, definitely the mouse is a first."
(Meaning, yes, we've heard of the bedbugs).
"And I wonder how it got all the way up to the 11th floor?" (This said skeptically, as if I was possibly imagining or making up the mouse?)
Also, "Are your bites itchy?"
"Yes," I replied.
"Well bedbug bites don't itch. They hurt."
"Then perhaps your hotel has given me fleas."
(By the way, bedbug bites DO itch. These were definitely bedbugs.)

Sandman offered no rebate or anything at all for any of my troubles.

Incidentally, Sandman Hotel was close to GM stadium which had hockey games going on. So the whole hotel seemed jam-packed with loud, drunk men with their faces painted, carrying cases of beer, and making a lot of noise. If that's your thing, and you don't mind bedbugs or mice, or shabby surroundings, or being jammed in an elevator with drunk hockey fans, and don't need to cash traveler's cheques, or want room service, you will love this hotel.

• Liked — Near a work event
  • Disliked — Bedbugs and mouse
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
sandvan, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Vancouver City Centre, responded to this review, December 24, 2008
On behalf of the staff and management, please accept our sincere concern for the inconvenience you experienced.

Bed Bugs are great hitch hikers and a lot of hotels are experiencing this growing challenge. Bed bugs are transported from the guest luggages from various sources like transportation services, storage facilities and many other types of businesses that may process luggages.

Our hotel follows an aggressive plan to address this very challenge. On a regular basis, we utilize the professional services of a professional pest control company as well as using enviromental friendly product to rid these hitch hikers. Our on-going challenge, is that despite all the efforts and succeses, a room that is finally clean of all bed bugs may again be brought in by another infected luggage. The biggest challenge is that the chemicals used to rid these bed bugs are no longer accepted in Canada, so instead of a short process of elimination, the time period takes longer. This particular chemical which was used in the past to eradicate the bed bugs are no longer available for usage.

International travel has increased over the years and the hotel is quite popular due to the valued location. The increased travel also increases the odds of having the bed bugs transported into the hotel and other hotels as well.

The main point is that the hotel is dealing with this growing challenge with honesty and continous education for the management, staff. Our objective is very clear, to respond accordingly, use the professional services of a pest control company, and keep the guestroom quarantined until the pest control company gives approval for the room to be available for sale. There are no exceptions to this objective.

Since you were disappointed with your accommodations, please email me at your convenience so the management may have the opportunity to hopefully provide a solution to your disappointment.

Sandman Vancouver Centre
British Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2008

We stayed here in July of this year. We were in town for a bachelorette party and we had two rooms. When we booked, we had asked for adjoining rooms or two rooms on the same floor if adjoining rooms were not available. We booked 2 or 3 months in advance.

When we arrived, we were told that only one room was ready (there was about 10 of us all together). So all of us had to get ready for our evening in one room, with one bathroom. Two hours later, our other room was still not available, apparently the guests staying in it had decided to stay another night. We checked in at about 3:30 and we didn't understand how the hotel didn't already know this little fact when we checked in. We had to phone down and REMIND them that we were still waiting. So we get a second room 4 floors up, not on the same floor like we had requested. The room was under construction. No beds, nothing. So we go back to the front desk and they give us a third room. The worst part was that they were indifferent to the massive inconvenience they were causing us.

Mixing up rooms is one thing but having no motivation to fix the problem or not being at all apologetic is quite another. We will never stay here again, which is a shame because the location is great and Moxies is a great restaurant.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
On behalf of the staff and management, please accept my sincere apology for your disappointment as it is also ours.

The hotel was undergoing renovations during the summer time, there were some difficult situations regarding proper communication in regards to completed renovated rooms available for sale.

I totally understand the concern regarding the staff reaction however please be assured this will be corrected with proper re-training.

At your convenience, please email me so we can properly correspond regarding your concerns, an opportunity for the hotel management to hopefully correct.

Sandman Vancouver Centre
gm_vancouver@sandman.ca

Been to Sandman Hotel Vancouver City Centre? Share your experiences!