“Somewhere between poor and average” 2 of 5 stars
Review of HR Macmillan Space Centre

HR Macmillan Space Centre
1100 Chestnut St, Vancouver, British Columbia V6J 3J9, Canada (Kitsilano)
604-738-7827
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #177 of 335 things to do in Vancouver
Activities: Group tours/walking tour
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Multi-media astronomy shows in the Planetarium Star Theatre are enhanced by 20-minute live demonstrations in the GroundStation Canada Theatre that keep you up-to-date on the latest space news. The Cosmic Courtyard ehibit gallery contains a real piece of moon rock you can actually touch, a J-2 Rocket Engine, artifacts and simulations. On Saturday nights you can visit the Gordon MacMillan Southam Observatory right next door and, if the skies are clear, you can see stars and maybe even a planet through the .5 metre Cassegrain telescope.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
BC
21 attraction reviews
“Somewhere between poor and average”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I am really unsure as to whether what the mind remembers from many years ago paints an accurate picture of what something was really like after much time has passed by. I had visions of this place and the Planetarium to be much more than it actually was, it had likely been 25 years since I was there last though and maybe then I was in awe. This time not so much. We spent time going through the space displays and avoided the 'what life is like for a spaceman' talk as there were lots of little kids there, that part of our visit took about 20-30 minutes. We went on up to the planetarium to take in the 'tonight's sky' 'show' and with out much ado it was over and we were out of there. If it wasn't for the bathroom break I would be skeptical that we were there for even an hour.
In 25 years I do not think I will go to take another look as I think this place will be the same as it was 25 years ago, not much to do and no bang for the buck. They could really use some updates to the place & their shows and find some more variety in entertainment to make it worth the while.
I hate to give a long standing scientific organization a 'poor' rating but when nothing changes....

Visited June 2013

Johannesburg
8 attraction reviews
“Okay but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

This isn't especially big and starting to look a bit tired. Show is okay. We were there with a 3- year old and he was entertained for a good hour. Science World is 10 times better so try that first. Planetarium show is fascinating as always and am makes entry worthwhile. Really for kids, wouldn't bother if no kids.

Visited June 2013
Calgary, Canada
27 attraction reviews
“night sky”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

only open on Saturday evenings but well worth the time spent
saw so much from the observatory. Centre was closed when we arrived so never spent time there but certain it would be wonderful

Visited May 2013
Vancouver, Canada
5 attraction reviews
“A nice museum but not much there”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I've been here a couple times with my children (5 and 9). We've all had a nice time, but the museum is small (it shares a building with the Museum of Vancouver). My children lost interest after an hour.

Visited September 2012
Vancouver B.C.
14 attraction reviews
“Something for everyone in the family.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We had a good time and learned a lot. This is a good place for the whole family to enjoy. The shows keep changing and so some will interest you more than others.