“French for 'slaughterhouse'...and they mean it” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
L'Abattoir Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 2,789 restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: French, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Cordova Street
Vancouver, Canada
“French for 'slaughterhouse'...and they mean it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Foodie heaven with some pretty interesting meat-centric menu items. Not all meat though, lots of yummy fish dishes as well. I had the halibut...it was killer good. Great sense of arrival, very cool decor, excellent service and a super smart wine list. I'll be back!

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

91% Recommend
Vancouver, Canada
“French menus to me are non-appealing, but oh my....... this was perfection!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Dinner last Friday was a last minute thought while shopping in Gastown. L'Abattoir welcomed us in from the rain, and despite what we thought was a small and not terribly appealing menu, every single thing we ate was absolutely delicious - from appies to dessert. A lovely small venue (that is much larger than it looks from the outside) and oh the warm house-made brioche and breadsticks to start make my mouth water even now. The suggested glass (ok - I had two!) of Pinot was a perfect match for my dinner, and the service was friendly and prompt. We'll be back! And we'll bring friends!

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Brussels, Belgium
“One of Vancouver's best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

We visited L'Abattoir this summer and enjoyed dinner in what is a rather unique setting. The restaurant being built on the remnant of a city jail in what use to be the meat packing district of Vancouver.

We were seated on the top floor, the ground floor rooms are split by a corridor adjacent the open kitchen where you can get a glimpse of what is going on.

The assorted warm breads that arrived once we'd ordered wine and food were simply delightful. Crunchy or full flavored, they all hit the mark.

Starters included fois gras, quail salad and a mix of chicken and escargot in parsley butter sauce.

For mains my partner had the pork shoulder which was the star of the show. It collapsed on impact with the cutlery and just melted in the mouth.

Roasted scallops were well cooked and seasoned. The duck was good though maybe a little overdone. The taste of it was great though, so maybe just a bit unlucky.

Now for dessert! Sticky toffee pudding certainly isn't common feature in French classics but this succulent delight left me wobbling home.

An excellent dinner, with a good wine, in a great setting. I would recommend. It is a bit dear but the food is of good standards. Service was friendly and timely. Maybe not the place to go with kids or for a quiet dinner, tables are a bit close.

Would gladly go back.

Visited July 2013
“What took us so long!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Living in downtown Vancouver, we like to walk to restaurants, not sure why we never walked to Gastown to try L'Abattoir, but will return sooner than later. I thought the food was very good and the prices accordingly. It's now on my top list of restaurants.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Paris, France
“Great dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

We had a very memorable dinner here for my husband's birthday. The staff were friendly and the service was just right. An inspiring menu and the dishes didn't disappoint, perfect presentation and delicious. We also had an excellent wine and the feature Tarte Tatin was a great finish.