“A treat!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Urban Tea Merchant - Downtown is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #362 of 2,804 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Tapas
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Burrard St.
Transit: Georgia and Thurlow
Toronto
“A treat!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is an upscale tea and sweets shop with a little tea salon attached. The tea salon was intimate and cozy - perfect for lunch or tea with good friends. The menu features tea infused food - a very creative and delicious modern take on high tea. We each ordered a tea service, and were not disappointed. Service was great.

In the store, the tea can be expensive, and the staff person we had was a little pushy (I prefer to be left alone to browse and explore). Nevertheless, I could come back again - but not too often!

• Visited April 2013

90% Recommend
montreal
“Exquisite Tea Salon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

On our recent visit to Vancouver, we discovered a very cosy tea salon that serves exquisite teas from around the world. We benefited from the suggestions of a knowledgeable and very patient hostess who brought us the tins of different blends of teas from which we could smell and then choose our teas to our taste. We ordered two different delightful plates from the all-day dining menu consisting in tasty sandwiches, fresh greens and deserts. The presentation and service were impeccable and our lunch was very fresh and delicious. The teas perfectly matched our choice of menu. We spent a lovely afternoon at the Urban Tea Merchant and will most certainly go back there when we return to Vancouver.

• Visited December 2012
British Columbia
“Gourmet Flavors and Flare”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Since I am opening my own private "Parlor for Tea Parties" for Bridal Showers or any celebration in Port Moody, I thought a visit to this establishment was in order. The ambience was quiet and I loved the teapot wall sculpture with a cascading water fountain designed to calm the senses.
The server was very helpful in suggesting different teas to order. Although 'I was very confused about the cost of them and found the teas very pricy. The creative names like "Weekend in Dubai" conjure up mental imagines but it's only tea.I enjoy tea but not at 8$-20$ a pot.
We ordered the "Western Plate" on the menu as my husband accompanied me and I hoped he wouldn't be still hungry after the lunch. When our tray of food arrived it was a work of art.We savored each morsel as the quality was amazing. The eye appeal ranked highest along with the flavors.
The tea was a little weak and I would have enjoyed another cup which wasn't offered.
The atmosphere was very relaxing and an experience to remember.
Be prepared to make this a very special occasion.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Memphis, Tennessee
“Not High tea but first class place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I let the Sheraton make this reservation. I asked for a High Tea and expected the Fairmount Hotel or other similar place. This is upscale retail place with tables in a separate room. The retail place has lots of high end teas ($60 for a take home canister of about 12 oz.!) In the food service room (not quite a restaurant) The wait staff was professional, well trained and took their time to explain about hteir teas and food menus. Way kewl food service, good quality and beautifully served. This was not what we expected but we were glad we went. We would go again.

Visited December 2012
Vancouver, Canada
“Making Tea Special”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

If you enjoy afternoon tea sets or just love tea, you have to visit here. The staff were really superb and professional. I ordered the "Petite" tea set and it was filling. Even though the sandwiches may LOOK like any other little sandwich, the taste is really something else. And the macarons are really flavourful - they're not just sugar bombs. PLUS, the staff actually pronounced macarons correctly - with a French accent! That's how you know that this place is legit. I actually went there just to have some alone time and to read a book. It was a delightful experience. Will definitely bring my friends here too.

• Visited December 2012