“Not Pet Friendly, As They Claim To Be” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Hotel Vancouver

Save Saved
You added Howard Johnson Hotel Vancouver to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Hotel Vancouver
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1176 Granville Street, Vancouver, British Columbia V6Z 1L8, Canada (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #74 of 97 hotels in Vancouver
Victoria, Canada
“Not Pet Friendly, As They Claim To Be”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2006

I contacted this hotel directly, after seeing them listed on a specific 'pet friendly' website. On their own site they claim to be pet friendly too. However, when I called to try to make a reservation for 4 adults, (my folks are coming over from England to visit, and I live in Victoria, so I'm going to meet them in Vancouver and bring them back to the island), and my dog I was told that I could only book a smoking suite. I said that none of us smoke, including the dog, but apparently dog's are only allowed in smoking suites - I find that completely offensive, and also completely non-dog friendly. My dog is less anti-social than many smokers.

Stayed July 2006

352 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2006

We booked a long weekend trip to Vancouver through Expedia and this was the best value for the location that we wanted. Had an easy time taking the city bus to the hotel (stop is only a block away). Friendly front desk staff. Interior looked recently redone and was nice. Our room was on the fourth floor towards the back of the hotel. Small room, but nice and clean - had all the amenities that we needed. Location was wonderful - we walked everywhere and I felt it was very central...short walk to Granville ferry, Yaletown, Gastown, Robson Street.

My only complaint was the nightclub that is on the first floor. It played LOUD music until 2 in the morning. Didn't bother us too much, but would probably bother most people, especially with small kids. If you're looking for a cool lounge for a drink at night I recommend 'Ginger 62' which is just one block down across the street. Also, the bar/restaurant in the lobby of the hotel ('Wings") was delicious!

We would definitely stay here again!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise at night
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Birmingham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2006

I came to Vancouver for a conference followed by a short holiday with my partner and stayed in this hotel for the first week. It is reasonably clean and tidy, but without dining facilities. I had to move room when I arrived because my window was overlooked by from about 6ft away by another block office; this is how close some the rooms were.
However, the worst problem was the hotel manager who was has rude and ignorant beyond imagination. He refused to return my calls, and generally made himself unavailable. We did not have the promised wireless internet access in my room as promised, which meant I could not work effectively, and we could not research and plan the rest of our stay as we would have liked. The manager claimed it was because we had a corner room.7 days into my 9 day stay we eventually got moved to a room that did have wireless nternet access, but when I confronted him with the fact he accused both me and partner lying about the lack of internet access, and became aggressive, accusing me of not being able to speak English (I am English, born and bred!).
Also, do not believe the price promise and book your stay online. They promise the best prices are on their website, but my colleague got a 40% reduction off the advertised price when he booked a week or so before.
Really, I would advise against staying here, primarily because of the Manager, (not English, you might note). While it is reasonably clean, you will not got any problems and service issues addressed satisfactorily. There is also no dining and the hotel is a seedy area, with homeless camped outside the hotel and peep shows across the street. Definately dont stay here if you are a lady travelling alone, but you might be ok if you dont expect good service and like looking at tramps and peepshows.

Stayed July 2006
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2006

Most of the past reviews have touched base on the positive and negative aspects of this property. I will try to give my opinion on my 2-night stay. We stayed mid-week, so we didn't have to deal with the weekend noise.

First, let me say that most people's description of the neighborhood is accurate, however if you walk two blocks in any direction, you are pretty much out of the bad area. The only thing that you really have to deal with is agressive panhandling. Otherwise, normal street smarts will do you just fine.

The staff is really the best part about the hotel. Everyone that I spoke with (both in-person and via phone) were very nice and knowledgable. Check-in was quick and efficient, and we even received a call in our room after checking in to see if everything with the room was fine.

The room was just slightly on the small side, but not super small. The bed seemed fine to us. Extra pillows were stored in the dresser, not in the closet. As someone else mentioned, the air conditioner was part of the window, and the window had floor legnth curtains. So, you either had a dark room or a cool room, not both. As previously mentioned, wi-fi signal was weak. For a quieter room, request a room in the back of the hotel (away from the street, and less hallway traffic)

The bathroom contained all of your basic amenities, and actually contained a bit more than your standard 2* room. Amenities were replenished nightly. One thing to note was that the bathtub seemed a bit higher than a standard tub. Might be more difficult for certain people to get in and out of the tub.

The restaurant bar was nice, but not too fancy. Seemed to be perfect for the area, as it looked like it was the only regular and respectable bar. Food menu was plentiful and affordable. The staff here is very nice as well.

Parking was kind of a pain. First, like anywhere in Vancouver, you had to make sure that you left nothing in your car. Parking consisted of two lots, one on each side of the hotel. Parking was angled, but there was only one way in/out, so getting out was a little difficult.

In my opinion, if you can get this hotel for under $100, I think it it worth it.

• Stayed July 2006
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2006

This has to be one of the cleanest and best maintained hotels I have stayed in, regardless of class. And at around $75 CAD per night, it's a great value. My room was small but comfortable with nice new furnishing and immaculate housekeeping. If you ask for a room facing the interior you won't have a view but you wil have peace and quiet. Granville St. gets rather noisy at night with clubs catering to Vancouver's youth. The area is not at all bad and rapidly gentrifying. If you are a city person you will be more than satisfied with this location as it is convenient to everything on foot or by bus.
The only drawback here is the Wi-Fi. While it is free to use, the signal is pitifully weak. Staff told me that was true throughout the building except in the lobby area where it is only slightly stronger. In my room I was not able to hold a connection and eventually gave up trying. Not sure why the hotel invested in wi-fi if it's so dismal. If you're planning to use wi-fi, this hotel is not the place for you. Otherwise, go for it and you'll be more than satisfied.

• Stayed June 2006
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2006

After reading mixed reviews and being one of two female 30 somethings travelling together, I was a little worried about our choice. BUT we emailed the hotel from Australia and always got a prompt, polite reply (thanks Richard). Apparently it can be really noisy on weekends but we were there mid week - little traffic noise but no major problems. Yes there are adult book stores, beggars etc. but no more than you would get in any other major city. We walked everywhere, even at night - just have a healthy sense of awareness but we felt completely safe. Rooms were small but they were clean, had comfy bed and reasonable bathroom. It was a good, cost effective option for us in a convenient location. Would may be think twice about staying there on Fri / Sat unless you are a party aminal but other than that, go for it!!!

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2006

Date: 21st June 2006
Just a dreadful experience from the almost impossibility of parking a full-size car in the only available and very limited space of the smaller parking lot, trying to manoeuvre suitcases over concrete blocks and through a gap in the lot's fencing, and then to find it was a slow and ineffiecient check-in due to a lack of trained staff (the manager seemed grossly over-worked). The room's air-conditioning unit was ineffective and completely useless at night as it was fully covered by the window curtains, which didn't make sleeping in the small double bed any easier especially as ithe bed had a significant dip in the middle. My wife and I made a brief walking tour of the vicinity but quickly returned to get away from the multitude of beggars who accosted us on the street, from doorways, and even in the nearby 7-Eleven entrance way. An unpleasant hotel in an unpleasant district of Vancouver.

Been to Howard Johnson Hotel Vancouver? Share your experiences!