“Solid, great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Windsor Guest House

You added Windsor Guest House to your Saves list
Windsor Guest House
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   325 West 11th Avenue, Vancouver, British Columbia V5Y 1T3, Canada (Mt. Pleasant)   |
Ranked #29 of 62 Vancouver B&B and Inns
Toronto
“Solid, great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We had a great short stay here. It is very relaxed, clean enough and in a lovely central location close to the Canada Line. If you are expecting 5 star, don't stay here, but it is a great choice if you don't mind a bit of dust in a charming old house with friendly and relaxed service. We would go back again for sure.

Room Tip: Ask for advice if you are a light sleeper as the old floors are a bit creaky and sound travels.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

I stayed only one night and met Leslie and a few other guests the next day morning. It is an old house with creaky wooden floors, sliding doors and a bit dusty here and there. But that is how I like it :) If you want sparkling floors, fantastic views, room service and such, don't go to this B&B. Do keep in mind that most hotels in this area will cost you twice as much.

Leslie is a great host and single-handedly managed to serve breakfast to about 8 of us in less than an hour. And during all this time she was chatting with almost everyone.

The location is excellent. It is in a residential area right next to the big hospital. Seems safe enough.

My only complaint and is that in my room (Library) I could hear people talking in the kitchen and noise from the silverware, sink etc. I am light sleeper and this bothered me a little. Besides this, it was no problem.

Room Tip: The Library does not have an attached bathroom so you have to walk down the hall to the bathroom whi...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

We stayed at the Windsor for 4 nights and found it to be a convenient and friendly place to stay in one of Vancouver's charming suburbs yet not far from the CBD and its attractions. We had an attic room with a shared bathroom which was fine for us at the time as we were on a budget. Breakfast was very well done and our hostess was knowledgeable of not just Vancouver/BC but many of her visitors countries as well. Transport is only a couple of blocks away and the BC Ferry bus can pick up from near the local Sky Train station. The local shopping centre is nearby including a clean coin Laundry. I would recommend the Windsor as a clean, friendly base to explore the Vancouver area.

Room Tip: If you have trouble with stairs or heavy bags choose a lower room as the stairs are a narrow up to t...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Holland, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

When I rate this bed and breakfast as average, I mean it in all the best ways. :) The Windsor Guest House is like staying with earthy middle-aged relatives in Vancouver. The decor isn't up to date, but you feel like you can sit on the couch without asking. Breakfast was tasty and cooked to order--better than you'll find most of the time when you stay with actual relatives. There are plenty of clean bathrooms and some easy-going internet access, too. The location can't be beat. Once you realize how vital the Sky Rail is to your transportation around Vancouver, you'll understand how ideally the Windsor is located. A few blocks' walk will take you to the nearest station. Definitely recommended!

Room Tip: Beware if you have any physical limitations, since the house has lots of stairs unless you're st...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Whitehorse, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

They serve a lovely breakfast. The rooms are big and well decorated but not overly fussy. Comfortable I think is what best describes this B & B. Our host was a sweet woman, friendly and helpful. The house is in a nice area with lots of other similar houses around it. It is also close to the the Sky Train station on Broadway so it is easy to get around Vancouver from the B & B. A hint about the Sky Train - buy a day ticket for it at the Airport (if you are arriving that way) from the Drug Store in the lowest level of the airport, $9 for adults and $7 for seniors. Otherwise buying a ticket from the ticketing machine at the Airport (only) costs something like $5.
Windsor House has lots of lovely stained glass windows and wonderful old fashioned bathroom on the first floor (I don't know what the others are like) charming.
When I phoned to book another stay there the Manager remembered me without prompting which was lovely.

Room Tip: Various types of rooms available. Cheaper with a shared bath. There were renovations going on next...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Brsibane,Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

We spent 4 nights at Windsor Guest House while on our travels in Vancouver. We stayed in the Library Room and the Diana Room.

We found this to be an excellent bnb on all aspects - very comfortable, very clean, ideal for a good night's sleep and so convenient to good public transport. And the breakfasts were absolutely awesome, an absolute feast. There is access on their laptop to the internet and your e-mails if you have your access passwords organised. Leslie, the host, is a great source of information and assistance, and cannot do enough to help make your stay interesting and easier.

I can only say that the experience of staying at Windsor Guest bnb way exceeded our expectations and made our stay in Vancouver an excellent one. We loved the breakfasts and meeting other guests from other parts of the world.

Thank you Leslie for making our stay so great.

Room Tip: Have a look at their website and select whatever suits your budget and preference. The whole house...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Quebec
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

Staying at this guest house was an unpleasant experience right from the beginning.

As soon as I stepped in the door I was asked for my credit card--no greeting; the woman did not even give me her name (it was not the manager). Not exactly the warm hospitality promised on their website: "We are very proud of our warm hospitality with friendly and helpful staff always at hand."

I had e-mailed the manager a few days prior to my departure that I would be getting in early, but when I arrived at noon my room was still not ready despite check-out being at 11am. The previous guest had not yet checked out and was not even around. I was not given an apology and was asked to wait an hour (again, not very helpful, especially since check-in is supposed to be at noon) even though I was exhausted from my flight. I was not feeling well and just wanted to lie down. After I insisted, two women went up to move out the person's belongings and clean the room (don't know how much they could clean in 10 minutes).

I then had to lug my suitcase up the long staircase to the second floor. As soon as I lay down, however, the jackhammers started next door, so I got very little rest. I would wake up to jackhammers and heavy construction each morning around 7:30 (a new building is being constructed right next door). Not a pleasant beginning to the day. For that reason alone I would have chosen another accommodation, but there was no mention of the construction on Windsor House's website when I was researching Vancouver B&Bs in late July.

The bed was extremely uncomfortable as well, and the sheets, as far as I could tell, were not changed the entire 4 days I stayed. The one window in my room only opened a crack so they had a small fan in there. Good thing because the room had a musty odor.

The bathroom did not seem to be cleaned either as evidenced by the hairs on the floor and in the bathtub (I shared with one other room).

Breakfast was no more than adequate with terrible coffee and sparse fruit. The woman doing the breakfast never said good-morning to me and was generally unfriendly. I decided to skip the breakfast the last day and go to Whole Foods 10 minutes away where I could eat well and relax.

This accommodation deceptively advertises itself. It's definitely not a "grand Victorian manor." It's an old house with musty smells and old furniture. Also misleading was the mention of a guest computer and phone located downstairs in the living room. Both the free computer and phone were old and did not work well. The computer even broke down one day. There was a cordless phone you could take with you if you wanted to have a private conversation upstairs, but its battery life was very short (5 minutes or so).

The brochure they have at the B&B says it's 10 mins to Stanley Park--not true; 5 mins to Granville Island--not true; one block to major transportation--not true. It's about 3 blocks to the Sky Train, which goes to the airport or to downtown. It took me about 30 mins to get to Stanley Park by public transportation. I don't even think it would be 10 mins by car.

I've stayed in quite a few affordable B&Bs in Canada and the U.S. where my husband and I were treated excellently and ate and slept very well. This B&B, however, falls far short of the quality service and comfort that we've come to expect from a B&B.

Room Tip: Diana room: cramped, uncomfortable bed, faulty window
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
bachelorbroad, Manager at Windsor Guest House, responded to this review, September 8, 2011
The management and staff working at the Windsor Guest House, have over 30 years of collective experience in the hospitality trade, and we have never run into a more unpleasant guest.

It is true that there are renovations taking place next door, which we have no control over, and we have spoken to the developer and city hall about the noise but have not been able to come to an agreement with either party. So we have dropped our normal seasonal rates to compensate our guests for the early "wake up call" and will continue to so until the construction is complete.
As for the multitude of other complaints she raised, I will not offer a comment except to say this guest managed to stay with us for four days!! so it can't have been that terrible.

Been to Windsor Guest House? Share your experiences!