“Cheap but quite dated” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Vancouver Downtown

You added Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Vancouver Downtown to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Vancouver Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1110 Howe Street, Vancouver, British Columbia V6Z1R2, Canada (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #59 of 96 Hotels in Vancouver
Yorkshire, England
“Cheap but quite dated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

OK for a cheap overnight & pretty central, but is now looking dated & things like the in room films quite expensive.
Was allowed to check in early, but the room pretty stuffy & small so was glad it was only for one night.
Clean, but the decor, carpets, bath rooms etcs seem a little shabby but probably ok for the £60 I got it through hot wire.
Next time though will probably shell out more & get some where better.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Bel Air, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2010

This is one of the better Holiday Inn's I've stayed in. The hotel is modern and clean. The staff is courteous. The pool and exercise room are above average, the sauna is a neat amenity. The hotel's restaurant and room service is decent. Location is great, its only a few blocks from the SkyTrain which if you are traveling in by the airport you may want to just try the Vancouver mass transit, its very efficient. It made getting to and from the airport very easy. I also rented a car and found that the commutes were longer and the hotel does charge for parking. One negative aspect was the wireless internet was a little spotty at times.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Fayetteville, GA- outside of Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2010

i did not comment above on value, nor service because we never used housekeeping. and we cashed in priority club points, so I don't know about the value.

however we were pleased because they upgraded us to the executive suite. and platinum status also saved us some money at the restaurant downstairs, and offered us free parking!

The room was spacious and offered amenities. I'm not sure- maybe we were supposed to ask for the key to the minibar?? we didn't get one. I busted the tab to open it, but then a key was needed. we really didn't want to go through the trouble of asking for one downstairs, as we just were contemplating having a snack.

they offered many choices of pillow, but we didn't try many out. unfortunately my husband took off the signs that told us which were firm/soft.... so it was "anyone's guess". the bed was decently comfortable, but we probably should have worked on the pillows. not the best sleep ever.
(some mornings we woke up achy).

i think this would have been a great hotel, if we had utilized some of the services offered. but we were happy with it. the location was perfect.
and we would definitely come back!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2010

I agree with the previous comments in the reviews about wearing ear plugs. At 8:00 a.m. we could hear the entire conversation that our neighbour was having over the phone. At night, this same neighbour was singing by himself, which was crystal clear in our room. We haven't experienced such thin walls from a hotel in the $120/ night price category and would expect this from a cheesy motel for $50.

Our major complaint was when a family jumped in the pool wearing shorts, t-shirts, underwear, along with a baby in a diaper. My husband and I were looking forward to an evening swim when this sight appeared before our eyes we changed our mind. When speaking to the hotel staff about this situation it was stated that, "who are we to say that they can't wear their clothes in the pool?" and I was questioned as to whether or not I really saw a diaper and not a pull up. Needless to say, I felt that my issue was unheard and she also said that, "they do not supervise the pool area and someone would go down to take a look at the diaper issue". Well, if you don't supervise the pool area, who does?

Over and over it was stated in the hotel guide and all over holiday inn material that if for some reason you were not satisfied with your stay they would make it better. I was sorry I complained because this hotel employee treated me rudely and did not see this problem as an issue.

I'm sorry, but I am not swimming with others who are in their sweaty clothes, most likely stained old underwear, and a diaper with who knows what in it. If you are going to stay here, as stated, this hotel does not supervise the pool area so feel free to do what you want in this area. Hop in fully clothed, bring your glass bottles down, and hey don't bother getting out of the pool to go the bathroom.

My advice - For $120 a night try a different hotel.

Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for a month while working on the Olympics. It never felt like home, but nor was I desperate to get out of the place.

The good: the food in the restaurant is OK, not huge portions but OK. There's a small giftshop and a friendly bar. The hotel's location is good, just out of the main drag and up a couple of blocks from the bustling Yaletown. The bed was comfy.

The average: no minibar in many rooms, ageing decor, strange layout. Friends reported that the "suites" were "studios", with the advantage of a kitchenette but a bed that folded out from the wall and took all the remaining space.

The bad: the hotel doesn't cope with too many guests - often barely any hot water at night, restaurant struggled when only 4 tables were full, free wifi is slow when there are too many users and there's no faster, more reliable, paid option in the room. Indeed the wi-fi failed a number of times in one week during my stay but all the desk staff want to do is put you through to off-site tech support (thanks, but it's not my problem, it's yours!). Had to get the manager to sort it out instead. Don't even think of using Skype either. On check-in my phone didn't work, a lightglobe had blown and I had a faulty desk chair - all of which were rectified that day.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
West Kelowna, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2010

As I was traveling solo - for a change - I decided to take a chance on a 3 star rated hotel, as it offered a location that suited my needs. I had a 2 night stay (Monday & Tuesday).

This is not a newer hotel, but it has been fairly well maintained. The lobby is nice and has a restaurant/bar attached. Only 7 floors.

Pros: Downtown - close to everything
Excellent service from staff (really!)
Good food
Clean
Great bed
Less expensive rates
Lots of hot water
Nice swimming pool (but small)
Decent workout equipment and sauna
Covered smokers patio area (2nd floor)

Cons: Below average soundproofing (traffic noise)
Small rooms
Really small bathroom
Dated furnishings (chairs, lamps, etc.)
Poor TV signal/old TV
No hot tub
Small, slow elevators
Poor business center

In truth, I had a nice stay. Had my wife been with me, she'd have been upset at the bathroom size and audible street noise. Earplugs are recommended.

The room, while small, was neat, clean and well- attended. The area, while conveniently located, is a little run-down. I went out evenings - walking - without any problem whatsoever.

As I have enrolled in several hotel chain "club" plans, including the Holiday Inn's, I was able to take advantage of a free available room upgrade. Since these plans are - usually - free, it makes good sense, especially in combination with discounted online rates.

Based on the service, price and bed, I would recommend this hotel for budget travellers with some tolerance for minor imperfections.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Pugwash, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2009

People who really make you feel at home. Most hotels try, but this one actually does. From the front desk (Maggie, Wei, Diana and more) to the restaurant (Jesse, Roy, Candy and more) it feels like a second home. The hotel is in a great location for all downtown activities. Forget the car and walk to your destination. Reasonably priced and deliver each and every time..

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Vancouver Downtown? Share your experiences!