“Priced well but not the best for business travel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Vancouver Downtown

You added Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Vancouver Downtown to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Vancouver Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1110 Howe Street, Vancouver, British Columbia V6Z1R2, Canada (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #59 of 96 Hotels in Vancouver
Fredericton, Canada
“Priced well but not the best for business travel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

Like most of you, I'm a member of a limited number of hotel loyalty programs so I like to stay at them when it makes sense to do so. So picking a Holiday Inn for me made sense and it was close to my contact. It was also well priced.

Pros: Good value for the dollar, I paid $109 and $119 and that's good anywhere let alone for a major downtown hotel. It was very clean. There are a number of coffee shops in the area and a few local eateries which turned out to be quite good. It's a very short walk to the Granville Entertainment section although parts of the street are somewhat sketchy. Yaletown is a few blocks away. It's also easy to get to the hotel if you use the Skytrain but you will have to walk several blocks. That might be an issue in rainy season. The decor has been updated to a degree and the bed was very comfortable.

Cons: This is an old hotel. Lighting levels are poor and the room design reflects it's age. Very small bathrooms, the closet is open right next to the bathroom, small sink. They still use the old tube TV's. I also found the walls to be thin as I could hear conversations quite easily.

That having been said, the weekend I was leaving the hotel was booked out. There were traveling teams in for the weekend. It's also a favorite for Canuck fans who where in for the game. So for business, not so great, but for this type of clientele it might be a good choice.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Georgetown, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

I have stayed at MANY Holiday Inn and everything about my stay was not impressive.

location is not very desirable, between the pan-handlers, adult shops and poor view, I wouldnt venture very far at night.

Staff picks up phone promptly. I forgot my toothbrush and they brought one up pretty quick.

Major stains on CARPET, grout, paint and all sorts of crap (see photo)
room smells like paint or adhesive
resturant under renovation
old tv in room

Internet performance will range from;
400 kbps download, 70 kbps upload
10 Mbps download, 4.55 Mbps upload

Bathroom:
shower head too low, had to position it practically horizontally to wash my hair - and I'm only 5'10"
had to jiggle the toilet lever to stop the toilet from running
have to really turn the shower valve tight to stop the water
scratched tub with grout spots and other construction damage

No airport shuttle

Called the front desk to ask if all the rooms on my floor are in this condition and was told yes.
Emailed the manager to complain Monday night

Breakfast is a fairly typical layout - i had the buffet. i think I will just grab something on the way to work - should be way much cheaper.

Monday I asked maintenance to come up and fix the toilet, I have to constatntly jiggle the handle to stop the water from running. They were at my door before me, so I let them in and left to get a bite

When I returned, my luggage and laptop bag was missing, so I called downstairs and after 20 minutes, got a call back that they moved me to another room. I checked my drawers and my clothes were still there. I checked out the new room and 1000% better than my current room. The manager emailed me about moving me - about 30 minutes after they moved me. No mention of any kind of reimbursement for my troubles. So much about that comment from the front desk that all the rooms are the same.

Tuesday AM, no paper this morning in front of my door, but everyone else seems to have one. I grabbed breakfast from the MANY places on my way to work, about half the price of the hotel meal.

I understand they are renovating, but even this is too much

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Vancouver Downtown, responded to this review, April 27, 2012
georgetown_minky,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received service which was unacceptable. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Ben J
IHG Care
Victoria BC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

We stayed here for one night before an early morning flight. We got our room for $50 plus fees (total $66) on priceline. The original price is about double that. Check in and out were quick and easy. The room had two double beds which were nice, with numerous pillows. There's something a little down-market about the place, with a table piled with t-shirts for sale in the lobby, but it was clean and we slept well enough until the middle of the night when the guests next door decided to have a lengthy conversation. Poor soundproofing. In the bathroom you could mistake something being said in the neighbour's room with a sound from your own room. Location was great and it was 10 minutes walk to the direct train to the airport. The first train of the day was at 4:52 a.m., which we caught and were in plenty of time for our 7:10 flight. Would probably stay here again at $50 a night, but not at full price.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Stockholm
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

View from the room was very sad with really run down buildings and adult shop ... it was late and kids were tired so we decided to stay ... at night ppl were fighting & shouting outside in back alley ... told reception in the morning and they offered to change rooms ... packed our stuff and left for the day ... room was not ready when we came back and it took two hours before new room was ready ... this room is in front of the building so no noise from the alley but this wing is under construction ... they do try to keep area clean and even sent a little goody basket to make up for it ... today there are too many young people staying on the floor and it's really noisy ... hoping for some peace at night ... let's see? ... 2 b continued :(

• Stayed March 2012
Kris S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Vancouver Downtown, responded to this review, March 28, 2012
Dear doc-nm:

I would like to Thank You for your comment, as it is this feedback that helps us improve and that is constantly our goal.

We are currently updating our hotel to ensure is up to the latest standards - with a lot of rooms already under renovation we have tried our best to accommodate you based on your needs.
We have addressed the "noise" situation with the student group you mentioned and hope your stay turned out to be an enjoyable one.

As I was not able to see a to be continued I am hoping your issues got resolved to your full satisfaction.
If there is ever anything I can do to assist during your stay please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Kind regards,
Kris Szylowski
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

Wow, if you want to hear crack heads fighting over dumpsters and what they find in them, and hearing sirens through out the night, pay a ridiculous amount of money for a room in which the counter top had a chunck taken out of it and was repaired using silve spray paint, uncomfortable beds, I paid less to stay at the MGM grand in Vegas that is ten times better then this, and that little notice that if your stay wasn't good you stay for free, was meet with a laugh and continued billing of $570 for 2 sleepless uncomfortable nights, staff was good and efficient hotel garbage, on a business trip and the hyatt regency we found out later was 130 a night. I doubt I will ever stay again at a holiday inn using my own money.

Room Tip: Go to best western I've had better luck there
Dear Runt d:

I am sorry to hear that you were not happy with your stay.

We are currently updating our hotel and our first focus are our rooms - furniture, lighting and carpet all throughout the property.

At anytime you are not pleased with something during your stay, please bring it to our
attention so we have an opportunity to correct it for you and others.

I will address the points you mentioned and will look after them to the best of my ability.

Kris Szylowski
Dorchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

My Wife and I stayed here for a couple of nights after arriving from the UK and prior to an eleven day Rocky Mountaineer 'Grand Circle' train journey (FANTASTIC EXPERIENCE) followed by hiring a self-drive motor caravan (RV - recreational vehicle - as they call them there) for a couple of weeks - another great experience, before returning to Vancouver for another day (night) at the Holiday Inn before our departure from Canada.

We cannot praise the Holiday Inn enough, the reception staff gave us a really warm welcome, our room was spotlessly clean, extremely comfortable and well equiped. Throughout our stay we found every staff member to be both friendly and efficient. I think that the 'icing on the cake' was the buffet breakfast, I have visited many hotels over the years and the choice and quality here must rank amongst the very best.

The location is ideal being within walking distance of everything you might need.....The prices are reasonable.....If you are looking for somewhere to stay in Vancouver this is the place!!.....You will ENJOY YOUR VISIT.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

I just stayed here one night on business. The check in staff was ver efficient and friendly, even offering me upfront 2pm late checkout since I'm a priority club member. Walkable to lots of decent restaurants. Wireless internet didn't work well in the room but worked great in the lobby and there were lots of comfortable seats to use while on the computer. Across from a Starbucks if that works for you. Room was big and very comfortable. Hotel provides umbrellas, which comes in handy, at least for me this time.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Vancouver Downtown? Share your experiences!