“Perfectly fine...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Nelson House B & B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Vancouver
Nelson House B & B
You added Nelson House B & B to your Saves list
977 Broughton St, Vancouver, British Columbia V6G 2A4, Canada   |
Ranked #7 of 63 Vancouver B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“Perfectly fine...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I was looking for a change of pace on the weekend after staying in a string of business hotels for work during the week and I found it. It was located in a nice neighborhood and close to bars and restaurants. The owners' guide -- notes on places they preferred -- was very helpful as there are many restaurants to choose from. The amenities were ok, the room comfortable, the breakfast good. AC was not required, and I imagine rarely is, but would have been uncomfortable had it been a few degrees warmer. If I were looking for a B&B experience again, I would likely go back.

Room Tip: Each room is unique so make sure you select one that suits your needs. I opted for the 3rd floor Sha...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
VancouverCalling, Owner at Nelson House B & B, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Since you are new to the B & B experience, Jakerohn, I am really pleased that you rated us "Perfectly fine"! B & B s are found worldwide & have been around forever. Still there are some weird misconceptions about the modern-day, independently-run hospitality business. It seems just as odd to me that anyone would settle for the hotel norm of impersonality, dubious security, poor hygiene, mediocre food and add-on fees for everything!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

Located in the heart of Vancouver's West End, Nelson House B&B is just a short walk to all the high-end shopping on Robson or the diverse pleasures of Davie. I enjoyed fine cooked breakfasts and good conversation with other guests in the cheerful breakfast room. The adjacent living room is amply supplied with travel guides and other reading. The decor, at least in my room, was simple but comfortable and there was a small balcony with table and chairs to enjoy a bit of air. If you desire fancy antiques, lots of chintz, and a split of champagne on arrival this B&B is not for you. But if you are looking for a warm welcome in a central location Nelson House B&B is a good choice.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
VancouverCalling, Owner at Nelson House B & B, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Thank you "cacadian". You are so right! We like to put the emphasis on fine food & conversation. And when it comes to décor, we definitely prefer comfort & a bit of fun over ye olde chintz. All the best, David
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

We didn't have breakfast, so we can't comment on that. The breakfast table was set beautifully, however. We were underwhelmed by the Nelson House. It reminded me of a run-of-the-mill English B&B: It also reminded me of my grandmother's house in decor and upkeep: somewhat shabby; mostly clean but not overly so; OK beds but not hotel quality; worn-out bed linens; overused pillows needing replacement. The host was friendly enough but seemed somewhat disinterested. We can't recommend the place, especially at the price, which we thought was about $50 Canadian too high.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
VancouverCalling, Owner at Nelson House B & B, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
The old adage holds true in this age of anonymous internet opinions: "You can't please ALL the people ALL the time". We keep trying though!! We have no idea who posted this review because no one uttered a word to us in person about beds, linens, pillows, décor, etc, Those are the kinds of things that can be so easily put right if given half a chance. Anyways, thanks for this. I am off to do pillow inspection!
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

We stayed in the very spacious suite with lots of character. The room was lovely and comfy and the breakfasts were great. The location is pefect, short walk to some lovely restaraunts and the beach front one way and a short walk to the shops the other way.The hosts were very friendly and helpful, we really enjoyed our stay!
What more could you want!

Room Tip: The suite has a lovely large bathroom with jet tub, small kitchen, balcony and living space.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind appreciation and positive comments. We will hope to see you again! Cheers, David
Airdrie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

What a great place to stay. From the moment we arrived the hosts made our stay very welcome. The room was on the main floor and was very spacious and comfortable. The breakfast was more than we could have asked for. (Eggs and sausage one day, French toast the next). The weather was very rainy for a couple days and there are umbrellas to use at the front door.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
VancouverCalling, Owner at Nelson House B & B, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Thanks so much! We still believe in putting the emphasis on classic B & B virtues - genuine local hospitality and delicious home-cooking & baking. You and other Nelson House guests really do seem to appreciate it. All the best, David
Melbourne, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

My husband and I were there for a few days in March. The facilities were clean as a whistle, the ambiance was perfect, the breakfasts were outstanding, the hosts Michael and David couldn't have been nicer.

What more can I say? Oh, yes. I forget to mention, location, location, location! You don't need a car but if you have one, they offer free off street parking. Just about everything is walking distance.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have private bath.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
VancouverCalling, Owner at Nelson House B & B, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Thank you folks. We loved having you. Please come back for Vancouver's warm summer weather;)

Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here 6 nights. We were in the top floor suite. It was great! Michael took great care of us. His breakfasts were AMAZING! And you have to try the lemon poppyseed bread- it's the best I've ever had. He knew a lot about the area and things to do. He kept us updated on the weather. I also met Lisa briefly and she was also very lovely. We loved the family photos on the 2nd floor of the owners and their families. The next time I visit Vancouver I will definitely stay at the Nelson House B & B.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
VancouverCalling, Owner at Nelson House B & B, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Thank you so much! We look forward to seeing you both again.

Cheers, David

Been to Nelson House B & B? Share your experiences!