“Vancouver Comfort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hycroft Suites

You added Hycroft Suites to your Saves list
Hycroft Suites
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   1248 West 15th Avenue, Vancouver, British Columbia V6H 1R8, Canada (Formerly Hycroft Bed and Breakfast) (Fairview)   |
Special Price
40% off room rate
Muntinlupa, Philippines
“Vancouver Comfort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

A home away from home. All the comforts of home and then some. The little amenities are a plus. All the information we needed was available ... as well as instructions on where to find what. We were very happy with the place and wish we could have stayed longer. We unfortunately did not have a TV in the bedrooms but that was minor since we were out most of the time.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Peterborough, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Owners website was helpful as were brochures and maps left in the unit. The unit is in a convenient location and has parking. The rome suite that we stayed in was in need of repair. Paint was marked up, furniture worn out, 2nd bathroom has no shower just a really stained grubby old tub, bed in 2nd bedroom was awful, 3rd bedroom had no window coverings on skylight so plan on getting up with the sun. The washing machine broke the first time we used it and leaked through ceiling into livingroom. It was difficult to reach the owner but when we did he told us where a laundromat was but since we didn't have a car and had purposely chosen to rent this unit because of the laundry facilities his answer was very disappointing. The washing machine was not repaired though we were there for almost a week.

Room Tip: Rooms at Pan Pacific hotel were cleaner, newer, nicer, and in a better locations - yes, you pay more...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
HycroftSuites, Owner at Hycroft Suites, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Dear Jean, thank you for your review, but I find your comments less than honest. When you called me Sunday morning to say the Rome Townhome washing machine broke down, I met you right away. I did not bother with a repairman, but ordered a replacement unit right away. We developed Hycroft Suites in 2000, and after 10 years of hard service, this machine did not owe me anything. The unit was installed the next day, well before you checked out. Also, you failed to mention that the Oaksville Laundromat is 2 blocks away at 15th & Oak with free wifi and a great wash & fold service. We also replaced the Paris Townhome washing machine due to the same service life. We are considering machines in the Monaco & Madrid Master Suites for next summer, as we find most Townhome guests appreciate them. We provide many ammenities in your suite our competitors do not, like 2 bathrooms, 3 bedrooms, king beds, gourmet kitchen with Bosch dishwasher, dedicated phone lines, dedicated parking spot, keyless security...oh & front loading laundry with detergent & fabric softener.
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

From the moment I found the Hycroft Suites, I knew this was the place for my family to stay! With family members coming from all across the country, I knew they needed a nice neighbourhood, but still accessible to everything. Hotels were not helping much and then a finally found the Hycroft Suites. What a perfect place it was.

Staying for 5 days and having the fully stocked kitchen with all the dinnerware and utensils needed along with the top two units having a washer and dryer.

Pam and Randy were so helpful from the moment I explained to them that my husband and I were getting married in BC with no family here, I needed to have this place to keep them all together. The great thing about this place, which Randy shared with me as well is that by booking the full house, the family members were able to mix and mingle with each other but at the same time they were able to have their own privacy of their own suites.

Lastly, every single one of my family members raved about the beautiful interior, luxury beds to sleep on and high quality towels and bathroom products. They really felt like this was their home away from home with the comfortable luxury they had while on vacation for our wedding!

A thank-you to Shandy-Rae (inn- keeper) who was also very accomodating with one of my cousins having a 2 year old and she was able to make the request to have a pack and play crib available in one of the master bedrooms.

All in all, the stress of the wedding was a lot, however finding this place for my family was a real dream. Thank-you Randy, Pam and Shandy-Rae. My family is so thankful as much as we are! Perhaps they will come back in the future when we have little ones and stay at the Hycroft!

Cheers!
Amber

Room Tip: The Paris and the Rome suite are true gems! :)
Lancaster, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

I booked the Madrid suite in January this year for a 4 night stay in July. I received e mail confirmation and paid my 50% deposit. However, less than 2 weeks prior to our departing for Canada, and after I had paid the full $920, I received an e mail from the owner informing us that the suite was not available on the first night I had booked. It took him 5 months to tell me this. He eventually offered us a room in Granville House for the three of us, my husband myself and adult daughter. This room turned out to be the smallest bedroom they had and was "cosy" to say the least and my daughter understandably was not too happy about the situation having to share with her parents, but we had little choice as it was too late to find alternative accommodation. The owner did say that he was giving us this night free but on checking my paperwork we should have been given 4 nights for the price of 3, however we paid over $900 and the suite is $200 per night plus taxes, so in effect we were owed one night.

On the website this suite looks amazing but the photos do not show the hidden faults. When entering the suite and stepping through the door the first thing we noticed was the dirty floor mat. Not a good start! The bedroom is very small and there was only a gap of 5/6 inches between the bed and the wall so not much room there. The duvet on the bed did not look as though it had been washed from the previous letting and looked well worn and in need of replacement. There are no rugs on the bedroom floor so cold when you get up in the morning. The wall light in the bedroom was also not working. On opening a drawer beside the bed there was also an empty packet of condoms so obviously had not been checked by their housekeeper. The microwave in the kitchen was dirty and I had to clean that before I could use it.

In the lounge itself the sofa bed and rug were dirty and in need of a good clean. The sofa bed was also very uncomfortable. The blinds in this room were very flimsy and see through which meant they kept no light out and woke my daughter up very early in the morning. There was also exposed pipework in the lounge, but a very pretty sight! There was also a broken window pane in this room. I have photos of all these faults in anyone wishes to see. Also because this is a basement suite it was very noisy as you could hear people walking about upstairs and children running around.

To add insult to injury, we were told by Sandy, the Innkeeper, that we could have complimentary breakfast at Granville House, which is owned by the same people, for the 3 days we were staying at the Hycroft Suites. However she then phoned us to say that unfortunately this offer was withdrawn as there "wouldn't be room for us as they were full up". That was the "icing on the cake". During all our stay we did not see the owner or his wife. I think they were too embarrased at having to face us due to the situation they had put us in. We have a good idea why we were notified as such short notice that the room was not available on July 1st, Canada Day, but of course have no proof so cannot speculate.

Would definitely not recommend this suite to anyone as it is in dire need of a good clean and update. It is the worst accommodation I have ever had to stay in.

Room Tip: Definitely do not choose the basement suite
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Wow, this one stings! Truth is, we did have an over booking for your first night. In our 13 years in business, we never had an over booking until we integrated with Booking dot com earlier this year, where a glitch in THEIR system affected about 4 of our guests. My wife & I were mortified by these issues, and did our best to correct the situation. Your deal was to be refunded the first night, be given a free night in our Granville House B&B Birch Suite and cover all your transfers, which you accepted. Breakfast was included at the B&B, but was never offered at Hycroft (which has full kitchen facilities). Although I find your comments about Value, Sleep Quality and Cleanliness a little suspect, we have had a talk to our staff to ensure stories like this are not repeated. We were not embarrassed to meet you, just away with our family during this national Canada Day holiday. It is worth noting that hotels & airlines expect over booking, often with little more than an apology. Our apologies again for the inconvenience this booking caused you & your family.
Ventura, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

We've rented vacation homes all over the world and Hycroft Suites was probably the most thoughfully appointed home we've stayed in. Lovely, restored two story suite that easily accomodated our 9 family members, from teens to 88 year old Grandpa. Everything from spotless white linens (and lots of towels!), the good quality bath and beauty items provided (full size bottles - not little skimpy ones!), the great quality cookware and cutlery and even a washer/dryer. We loved walking around the neighborhood and indulged ourselves at the deli/bakery on the corner - EXcellent food. The view of the downtown skyline with the mountains behind from the front of the suite was great and the deck and comfy outdoor furniture were a nice touch for those staying in the back bedroom. The fireplace was cozy for a rainy afternoon/evening and the thoughtful "tear sheet" pad of a full map of the area made sure that we didn't get lost. Hycroft Suites is one more reason to come back to this wonderful city!

Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012 via mobile

We had actually booked for the sister b&b, but when we arrived the owner suggested we swap to the suites they also owned. This was a good call - the suites are very family friendly with room for the children to run around inside and a grass area outside. Local amenities are great - a playground, great deli with restaurant, food shops and restaurants.

There was a single bed, double bed and a fold-out double bed, plenty of linen and towels, and a fully fitted kitchen area with dishwasher. There was a small dining table that was great for feeding the children.

Overall, I'd definitely stay here again with the children - it had a family feel more than a plush hotel, but this worked great for us.

Stayed April 2012
Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

We decided to try a different B&B in our recent stay in vancouver. The suite is beautiful ,

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hycroft Suites? Share your experiences!