“Great location, excellent amenities for a family stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hycroft Suites

Booking.com Travelocity
Hycroft Suites
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   1248 West 15th Avenue, Vancouver, British Columbia V6H 1R8, Canada (Formerly Hycroft Bed and Breakfast) (Fairview)   |
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Great location, excellent amenities for a family stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012 via mobile

We had actually booked for the sister b&b, but when we arrived the owner suggested we swap to the suites they also owned. This was a good call - the suites are very family friendly with room for the children to run around inside and a grass area outside. Local amenities are great - a playground, great deli with restaurant, food shops and restaurants.

There was a single bed, double bed and a fold-out double bed, plenty of linen and towels, and a fully fitted kitchen area with dishwasher. There was a small dining table that was great for feeding the children.

Overall, I'd definitely stay here again with the children - it had a family feel more than a plush hotel, but this worked great for us.

Stayed April 2012

40 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

We decided to try a different B&B in our recent stay in vancouver. The suite is beautiful ,

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

We were in Seattle for business and a large group of us decided to visit Vancouver for the weekend, so we rented out all four of the Hycroft suites. The upstairs suites are far superior to the basement suites. I wouldn't rent the basement suite by itself - it doesn't have nearly the upgrades or amenities as the upstairs, but the two large suites were fantastic. Spacious, updated, beautiful kitchens and a great location.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Winnipeg, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

I found this place by online searching and booked the Madrid Suite for a weekend stay. The suite is well-equipped and comfortable, but an incident that was manufactured by the host, Randy, completely ruined our stay. We arrived on Friday and we were to leave on Sunday. Upon our return from our day activities on Saturday, we discovered that we are locked out of the suite. The host Randy has obnoxiously placed paperwork on the table outside the door with a rude note demanding in it that we sign the paperwork before we are given a new entry code to the suite. He already has my credit card number and in most of our stays at bed and breakfasts in Vancouver, we would sign paperwork before we leave. His tone on the phone was very rude and he at one moment dictated that we had to sign the paperwork immediately and hand it back to him, before we are given the new code. He sounded very paranoid and non-trusting.

In my opinion, he took this too far. This kind of behaviour contradicts the minimum level of hospitality that is needed to be a good host. It turns out he has my cellphone number. He could have called me on my cellphone and kindly asked us to sign the paperwork he needed. But this is what a friendly and considerate host would have done and this is clearly what the host Randy is not.

We travel a lot to Vancouver and we stay at many beds and breakfasts and hotels and this is by far one of the worst experiences we have had so far. This is enough for me to never consider staying at Hycroft Suites or at their sister bed and breakfast facility that is administered by the same management. And I would not recommend the place to friends and family.

Other minor issues that are not important were that someone was parked in our dedicated parking spot on Saturday night and that forced us to look for alternative parking on the street. The fireplace did not work, and the conditioner dispenser in the bathroom did not work well. Also, there is no oven or stove in the kitchen area of the suite.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
GranvilleBB, Owner at Hycroft Suites, responded to this review, November 29, 2011
Dear SateWpg.
First, let me thank you for your review. I appreciate your time, as do potential bookings looking for previous guest experience with our small owner-managed accommodations. We also appreciate that you rate our location 4/5 and rooms 4/5 while focusing your review on Service for 1/5. This gives credibility to your review.

Your negative review come from not following our Check-In policy. This policy states "Check-In Receipts will be left in your room. Please sign and return our copy to front mailbox on arrival date". This policy is shown 1) on our website (see Policies), 2) on your confirmation letter (sent immediately after an online booking), 3) when we email your time-sensitive door codes (we give you immediate access to your suite, with no pre-arranged check in time), 4) on your Check-In Receipt left in your kitchen on arrival, 5) Saturday afternoon with note highlighting "door codes maybe changed if signatures not received", & 6) Saturday evening on Check-in Receipt left outside your door with pen, phone and my business card. In the 10 years since restoring this property, you are the first (non-fraudulent) guest whose door code was changed from refusing to sign our Check-In Receipt. Please note that we do not call this a Check-Out Receipt;-)

During your stay, I picked up all other signed Check-In Receipts the evening you checked in. I called your suite at 10am the next morning and left you a voicemail on your free dedicated phone line. 2 hours later I left you a note highlighting the Check-In Receipt area that indicates "door codes maybe changed if signatures not received". When I did not have your signatures the evening before your departure, I cancelled your door code and left your Check-In Receipt with note, pen, business card and telephone outside your door, asking you to call me.

You called me at 10pm and I immediately gave you your new door code. I was professional & courteous. This procedure slowed you down by 60 seconds, with no trip to the "office or front desk". I even provided you with a free phone. I also gave you the opportunity to let me know if you were unhappy with your stay as I was concerned you may have a reason for not signing. Your response was that you intended to sign before departing.

When you told me someone was parked in your free dedicated parking spot, I immediately phoned the guest with that registered vehicle and asked them to re park. 10 minutes later, I confirmed with you directly this was done, along with my apology.

As members of the BC B&B Guild, Professional Association of Innkeepers, Tourism BC & Tourism Vancouver, we are strongly encouraged to receive all signatures at check in. Credit card companies require customer signatures for all credit card charges such as yours. Without this, a challenge by the cardholder would result in an automatic reversal of charges. A refusal to sign is typically a red flag for such a challenge, most often from a fraudulent or stolen credit card.

You mentioned to me hotels take your signature only at check out. I contend that all hotels would also collect your signature before issuing you a room key. Hycroft Suites avoids both these line ups and delays.

At Hycroft Suites we email you time-sensitive access codes after your secure on-line booking, well in advance of your arrival. We also allow you to check-in at your leisure, without the inconvenience of meeting at a pre-set time. Since your stay is pre-paid, you can leave anytime you like; we only ask that you close the door behind you. I would consider this far more flexible than any hotel, motel, B&B or self-catered suite. We only ask you "sign and return (Check-In Receipt) to front mailbox on arrival date". Randy
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

I love everything about Hycroft. It's my home away from home and preferred destination when I travel to Vancouver. From the heated floors, to the personal space, to the location and the owners. I come a number of times in the year and it is always welcoming. I've stayed in every suite by now (on my own and with family) and they all have their own charm and comfort. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Comox, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

Hycroft Suites exceeded our expectations and provided us with comfort at the end of our busy days in the city. I had three teenagers with me and they loved the house too and commented more than once on how good that couch was going to be to snuggle up on and just relax in the evenings. The location is extremely convenient and we chose to just walk to south Granville to do some of our Christmas shopping. The bathrooms were luxurious and the bedrooms were very comfortable - it was tough to get going in the mornings and out to do the activities we had planned - we were just happy to be at the house!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2011

This beautiful property has been a highlight for our family holidays in Vancouver. We're thrilled to have discovered this gem. All the little details have been anticipated in this 5 Star accommodation. We travel extensively and this unique accommodation meets all our high expectations to make our stays in Vancouver perfect.

Gorgeous suites right out of a designer magazine. Beautifully decorated living room area, bedrooms and bathrooms. Fully equipped kitchen has been perfect for cooking & entertaining. Lots of local grocery stores & bakeries and many wonderful options nearby for purchasing ready-made food. Beds are luxurious. Beautiful bathrooms with an abundance of extra towels. The in-suite laundry facilities are a real bonus.

Felt completely private from the other 3 suites and never heard peep. The private balcony is lovely.

Keyless entry codes make arriving hassle-free and no need to check in with anyone. However, we have met these delightful owners at their other property (a beautiful full-service B&B) and they are available if needed.

This has been a perfect short term and long term vacation accommodation for us and we look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hycroft Suites? Share your experiences!