“More of a doss house.....” 2 of 5 stars

You added Hostelling International Vancouver Downtown to your Saves list
Hostelling International Vancouver Downtown
1114 Burnaby Street, Vancouver, British Columbia V6E 1P1, Canada (Downtown)   |
Manchester
“More of a doss house.....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

To be fair this hostel has a good location, the breakfast is decent, the kitchen is quite big and the place is kept clean, however there are far more negatives than positives if you are a backpacker rather than a low income worker or someone looking for work.

In four months travelling this is the most boring and joyless place I have stayed. There is zero fun or atmosphere. This is mainly due to many/most residents being longer term and either looking for jobs, travelling up from the USA to make use of free Canadian healthcare or working while staying at the hostel. The place has no atmosphere at all and people staying here dont really mix much. The guys in my dorm where working and in bed by 9pm each night!

The staff aren't too bothered either.

It's also expensive, with two people you'd be better off in a hotel.

If you are backpacking and looking for at least a little bit of fun and socialising then stay elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2013
HI-VancouverDowntown, Manager at Hostelling International Vancouver Downtown, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Good morning;

Thank you so much for your comments regarding your stay at HI-Vancouver Downtown.

We appreciate your feedback and agree that our guests in the winter are not always the true backpacking type. Even in the summer we cater to a variety of guest including more mature adults and families. Many of our guest seeking a more lively atmosphere choose our HI hostel, HI-Central.

We hope that you enjoyed Vancouver.

Maicke Hostel Manager

137 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

For the price you pay you would expect better! Way too expensive for a crappy hostel. Beds were uncomfortable- floor was a better option. staff not very friendly or helpful- doesn't have the fun hostel feel that others do- everyone kept to themselves. Bathrooms were ok- cleaner than the rooms. Kitchen was good size and liked how they provided bread etc for breakfast instead of pancakes but that's all the positives we could find. Would Definately recommend paying a tiny bit extra and getting a nice hotel room. We were lucky we had family in vancouver that we went to stay with for the rest of the trip.

• Stayed December 2012
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Location is just off Davie St so there are LOTS of great restaurants. Also close to ferry to Granville Is and a 20 min walk into the main city area. 5 min walk to sky train and Holiday Inn where the Quick Shuttle from Seattle can drop you. Ferry and bus a minute away. Use sky train to get to and from the airport and ferry to Vancouver Is. Public transport is cheap and easy with services every 5-10 minutes.
Room is clean and comfortable. We stayed in a double room with a shared washroom which is only shared between two rooms. Kitchen is well equipted and breakfast of toast, cereal, porridge, fruit, muffins, bagels, juice and coffee was great to start the day. Hostel and room is quiet (as is usually the case with HI hostels).
We did the free walking tour to Granville Is (cost of the ferry only which can be bought at the hostel for a discounted price). Each day there is something organised from ice skating, walking tours, pub crawls etc.

Room Tip: Double room shared bathroom is best value as bathroom is between two rooms so you are only sharing w...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Good morning;

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hostel. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and found our hostel to be quiet and comfortable.

We are also happy that you enjoyed the private room, shared only between you and another one. We only have one of those combinations. If you return, make sure you request this room.

Kind regards,
Maicke Hostel Manager
Saskatoon, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I have stayed at this hostel several times within the past several months. I've always been treated kindly, with respect and their policies are about the best that I have come across. They are extremely flexible in allowing you to refund if you decide to check a day earlier. I am very impressed with how down to earth and kind the staff are. They really want you to have a good and comfortable stay and are willing to arrange it so that you are fully satisfied. For instance, my partner and I needed to vacate the couples room we were in and the staff offered a private room at no additional cost. There is a free breakfast which is a nice perk. They even provide condiments for cooking such as oil, salt, pepper and other spices not to mention free coffee and tea all day long. I think that they could be a bit cheaper as the cost could run $37.00/night considering it is a HI Hostel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Athens, Attiki, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

This hostel was pretty standard. The location was solid, it was clean and the staff was very helpful. The rooms are small but the bunks are more private than some other hostels that I have stayed in. My friend and I had a great stay there, but our only issue was how pricey it was. But I guess that's just Vancouver.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

The hostel was easy to find and was maintained well from the outside. Inside the hostel was clean but I arrived just after they had some flooding. Some areas where out of bounds due to the water damage which they were obviously very fast to clean up.

The breakfast was the standard North America selection of bagels and spreads served to 9:15am, an odd time I thought. The rooms where cleaned daily and generally well kept. The only issue I would have regarding them is that our room was always very warm and the heating couldn't be adjusted. Other than that the hostel was fine. The wifi was sometimes hit and miss but I found it worked best in the laundry.

The staff were great especially as I left my hard drive (all my pictures) there by accident. I called from another HI in San Francisco and they kept it safe for me until I managed to get someone to collect it.

Overall a nice hostel in a decent areas that is close to Yale Town which had nice bars.

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

Good hostel; fairly quiet & laid back. Not as social as other hostels in the area. The sinks in both rooms I stayed in had a lot of scum around the taps & the first room had hairs in the sink. The common bathrooms were in a slightly better condition although still not great. The floors creek something chronic so it was hard to sleep at times. I stayed in the Samesun on my way back through Vancouver & while noisier & far dirtier, it was very social & I had a great time.

• Stayed September 2012

Been to Hostelling International Vancouver Downtown? Share your experiences!