“Good location, clean, quiet hostel” 4 of 5 stars

You added Hostelling International Vancouver Downtown to your Saves list
Hostelling International Vancouver Downtown
1114 Burnaby Street, Vancouver, British Columbia V6E 1P1, Canada (Downtown)   |
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
“Good location, clean, quiet hostel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Location is just off Davie St so there are LOTS of great restaurants. Also close to ferry to Granville Is and a 20 min walk into the main city area. 5 min walk to sky train and Holiday Inn where the Quick Shuttle from Seattle can drop you. Ferry and bus a minute away. Use sky train to get to and from the airport and ferry to Vancouver Is. Public transport is cheap and easy with services every 5-10 minutes.
Room is clean and comfortable. We stayed in a double room with a shared washroom which is only shared between two rooms. Kitchen is well equipted and breakfast of toast, cereal, porridge, fruit, muffins, bagels, juice and coffee was great to start the day. Hostel and room is quiet (as is usually the case with HI hostels).
We did the free walking tour to Granville Is (cost of the ferry only which can be bought at the hostel for a discounted price). Each day there is something organised from ice skating, walking tours, pub crawls etc.

Room Tip: Double room shared bathroom is best value as bathroom is between two rooms so you are only sharing w...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
HI-VancouverDowntown, Manager at Hostelling International Vancouver Downtown, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Good morning;

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hostel. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and found our hostel to be quiet and comfortable.

We are also happy that you enjoyed the private room, shared only between you and another one. We only have one of those combinations. If you return, make sure you request this room.

Kind regards,
Maicke Hostel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Saskatoon, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I have stayed at this hostel several times within the past several months. I've always been treated kindly, with respect and their policies are about the best that I have come across. They are extremely flexible in allowing you to refund if you decide to check a day earlier. I am very impressed with how down to earth and kind the staff are. They really want you to have a good and comfortable stay and are willing to arrange it so that you are fully satisfied. For instance, my partner and I needed to vacate the couples room we were in and the staff offered a private room at no additional cost. There is a free breakfast which is a nice perk. They even provide condiments for cooking such as oil, salt, pepper and other spices not to mention free coffee and tea all day long. I think that they could be a bit cheaper as the cost could run $37.00/night considering it is a HI Hostel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Athens, Attiki, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

This hostel was pretty standard. The location was solid, it was clean and the staff was very helpful. The rooms are small but the bunks are more private than some other hostels that I have stayed in. My friend and I had a great stay there, but our only issue was how pricey it was. But I guess that's just Vancouver.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

The hostel was easy to find and was maintained well from the outside. Inside the hostel was clean but I arrived just after they had some flooding. Some areas where out of bounds due to the water damage which they were obviously very fast to clean up.

The breakfast was the standard North America selection of bagels and spreads served to 9:15am, an odd time I thought. The rooms where cleaned daily and generally well kept. The only issue I would have regarding them is that our room was always very warm and the heating couldn't be adjusted. Other than that the hostel was fine. The wifi was sometimes hit and miss but I found it worked best in the laundry.

The staff were great especially as I left my hard drive (all my pictures) there by accident. I called from another HI in San Francisco and they kept it safe for me until I managed to get someone to collect it.

Overall a nice hostel in a decent areas that is close to Yale Town which had nice bars.

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

Good hostel; fairly quiet & laid back. Not as social as other hostels in the area. The sinks in both rooms I stayed in had a lot of scum around the taps & the first room had hairs in the sink. The common bathrooms were in a slightly better condition although still not great. The floors creek something chronic so it was hard to sleep at times. I stayed in the Samesun on my way back through Vancouver & while noisier & far dirtier, it was very social & I had a great time.

• Stayed September 2012
Stuttgart, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stay at this hostel for three days at the end of August this year. It is easy to book and the staff is really helpful. At first a thought it is almost a hotel, but it's not.
The rooms are very small. It felt to me I had more room in a 40 bed dorm in Victoria, BC than in this hostel. If you're passing out, you can't fall :-). Besides the size my two rooms weren't really clean. It was still ok, but not good. The beds itself and the linen were clean!
I used two different washrooms on two different floors. One was ok, the other was a bit crappy (water all over the floor, mould in the shower stalls).
I don't know why everyone writes about good breakfast. I was used to a way better breakfast at a camp. And almost everyday a lot of things run out if you came after 8:30am. The breakfast room was sometimes overcrowded.
Theire patio on the roof is awesome. A good place just to chill and relax. I you want to do go party the hostel has lots of opportunities close by in Davie St.
Overall it was ok, but for almost 40 CAD/night I expect a little bit more. You can have the same in Berlin for less than 20 CAD.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

hi i stayed at a 4 bed femal dorm and the rooms are small basically they have two bunk beds alligned against the wall and then a metre width of pace for lockers desk etc..but it was confortable people are friendly and sociable definitely go on the tours . the lockers are big and easily fit my suitcase so security is good. its expensive almost 26 quid a night so they are raking it in and the breakfast although plentiful is repetitive and carb laden...saying that there is always some free food out for you to use and staff are helpful.
its also quite central close enough to party district to walk but far enough for quiet sleeps also the beach is pretty close too
overall enjoyed it here

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hostelling International Vancouver Downtown? Share your experiences!