“Back to the Future...less comfort” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Empire Landmark Hotel and Conference Center

Save Saved
You added Empire Landmark Hotel and Conference Center to your Saves list
Empire Landmark Hotel and Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1400 Robson Street, Vancouver, British Columbia V6G 1B9, Canada (Downtown)   |
Ranked #71 of 97 Hotels in Vancouver
Kelowna, Canada
“Back to the Future...less comfort”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

I'll do the fast part of the review... Location wise, it's great. Right as downtown as one could want, and certainly easy walking to many restaurants, as well as Stanley Park, English bay etc.
Service was mediocre at best, staff reticent to be of any help. Housekeeping was tidy enough, but the room needs some freshening up... long strands of carpet hanging out of the transition strip at the bathroom? I can only speak of course to my experience, and it was bad. I'm a business traveller and certainly there are some amenities I appreciate. Soon as I got to the room, it was back to the future... it's 2014 and there is a "Mr.Coffee" and a "Clock Radio" (huge thing with such emblazoned across the top of it..whirring and clunking away) in the room, and a TANNING lamp in the bathroom!... Lucky there was a flat screen TV tho, which kept me from thinking i had entered a parallel universe... as the decor is basically.. mirrors.. and more mirrors... and mirrors. The bed was like a plank on two sawhorses (and I can pretty much sleep anywhere) and the big treat was... if i opened the sliding door onto the balcony, everyone smoking out on THEIR balconies was kind enough to share their smoke break with me. Even with the slider closed, it seeped in. Too much seriously..40 floor hotel with 1 ice machine on the 22nd floor... wth ... I do long days of meetings, with a variety of clients and want a bit of rest when I have finally fought my way back through traffic to the hotel. This is the first place I have reviewed and not even given it an 'average' ... to recap, if you want to be downtown, the location can't be knocked, but the most important aspect for any traveller, business or pleasure... is a bit higher level of comfort than just the fact you are indoors and not under a tree. Again my experience, but it was sorely lacking.

Room Tip: Easy one.... Book a different hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Korean first
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I stayed in a deluxe double with water views on the 39th floor. The room was slightly dated in decor, yet the spaciousness and view more than made up for it.

The location has plenty of walking access to restaurants and it's about a 20-25 minute walk to Steam town. Overall, I was very pleased with the hotel and it was a great place to spend a couple nights after my road trip through the Canadian Rockies. For about $195USD/ni, I think it's a pretty nice value and if I were to be in Vancouver, I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Water view on a high floor!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Flower Mound, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

We loved staying right downtown in Vancouver and loved our view from our room on one of the top floors. The hotel was very old and not well cared for. The room was tiny and the bed was hard and uncomfortable. I'm not sure what the thread count was on the bed sheets, but I've never slept on anything as course as these. We booked another hotel for our second night.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Madrid, Spain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I was slepping in the west faced and was horrible sleep well because there are a big fan in the parking, it´s really noisy.
Is true that the room was really clean and the food is good but for me is really important sleep well.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Vancouver Island, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

worst hotel iv ever seen. hilariously bad. beds weren't made. ac doesn't work at all. cigarette ashes on bed sheets. we really couldn't belive we played money for this. carpet had a huge stain that came from an 80's horror film. if you care about your health and safety do not stay here.

• Stayed July 2014
Cromwell, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

We, my two young boys and husband stayed here for 3 nights and loved the central location. It's a 5-10 min walk to Stanley Park along Robson Street which is full of great food places, also 5-10 mins to English Bay Beach and has easy access to many of the other areas like Coal Harbour and Gastown. We think the rooms are a little on the old side but clean and comfy. Lots of space in the x2 double bed rooms for all of us. The gym is not very good but could easily be made better. We would stay here again but I probably would also check out around for price comparisons.

• Stayed July 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

It was our first time visiting Vancouver and a friend recommended this hotel to us, saying it was an affordable, decent but outdated hotel with a central location and after staying here, we totally agree. We were fortunate to be placed on the 39th floor in a deluxe double room (non-smoking) with two double beds, a mini fridge, a wet sink, and a flat screen television. We were treated to an absolutely stunning million dollar view of the city, English Bay and the mountains. We found our stay extremely comfortable in this spacious room with clean sheets and soft pillows to sleep after long hours of hiking, walking, biking and sightseeing. Although the washroom was dated, we always had clean, soft fluffy towels, and warm/hot water for our showers.

This hotel is located right on Robson Street, which is a major busy street filled with shops, ethnic restaurants, coffee shops, sports bars, and grocery stores. We never had to worry where to go and find food to eat or pack food for our picnics, or go for drinks since everything is literally a few steps away. For health nuts, there is a Whole Foods Market a few minutes away where you can have your fill of healthy food. If you would like a more affordable grocery store, there is Safeway, a Western Canadian supermarket chain, further down from Whole Foods. There is also a very nice little local produce store, right across from Whole Foods, that sells fresh fruits and vegetables, mostly locally grown.

For shoppers, there are a variety of shops from big names to little boutiques, and even a few souvenir shops in between. For bikers, there is a bike shop ("Bikes on Robson") across from the hotel (a few minutes walk) that you can rent bikes for half a day or whole day and go biking around the city. Stanley Park is very near the hotel and bike shop, so you can easily spent a day biking around there. If you want to take the city's transit system ("SkyTrain"), it is just a 15 minute walk to the closest station.

An efficient feature of the hotel is its express check out, which we found very convenient. Instead of checking out the last day and to avoid lineups in the morning, we checked out the night before easily and quickly. I highly recommend guests to use this express check out!

Last but not least, I would like to mention that the staff at front desk are friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. Every little question we had, they had the answers right away and even tips on how to get to certain places or what is of interest to tourists! :)

Room Tip: Request for a higher floor room facing the English Bay. Watching the view and especially during suns...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Empire Landmark Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!