“clean, nice staff..old hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Century Plaza Hotel & Spa

Save Saved
You added Century Plaza Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Century Plaza Hotel & Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1015 Burrard St., Vancouver, British Columbia V6Z 1Y5, Canada (Downtown)   |
Offers & Announcements
COMPLIMENTARY PERK ON US!
Ranked #38 of 97 hotels in Vancouver
Prince George, Canada
“clean, nice staff..old hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Old hotel, noisy heating, noisy weekend guests....the nicest staff in the world couldn't make up for it...sayed 5 nites...no sleep for 3...couldn't pay me to stay here again. This will be my last review as tripadvisor is not starting to force me into writing over 200 characters....free review...don't make me write a book....average hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Century-Plaza-Hotel, Guest Relations Manager at Century Plaza Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Rivsuk,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and thank you for choosing to stay with us. We're sorry that you had a less than favorable sleeping experience, however we hope that you enjoyed our amenities, services and the size of the rooms. Being a hotel located right in the centre of downtown Vancouver, street noise unfortunately can be unpleasant for those guests used to a quiet sleep. We are however, always more than happy to offer those guests, rooms on the quieter side of the hotel. We always invite our guests to voice their feedback while staying with us so that we can better address concerns before it turns to an unpleasant experience. It's our goal to ensure total guest satisfaction, and we're sorry that we did not exceed your expectations. Please do let us know if you are ever back in Vancouver, as we'd love to have another chance and offer you an upgrade to a room that would better suit your needs. Best regards.

1,352 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
Victoria, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed here for one night in early November to attend a reunion in town. I travel a lot for work so I've stayed in plenty of mid-range hotels. The Century-Plaza wasn't my first choice but a few other people had already booked in here so I went with it. The lobby is beautiful, looks very high-end, smartly dressed bellboys etc. Check-in was a little slow, there was a line-up but the staff did apologize twice for the wait and thanked me for waiting. Fair enough.

Was in a room on the 8th floor. Very awkward layout - bathroom very far from the actual bed area. You have to go around this big hallway from the bed to the bathroom - it was kind of bizarre. Didn't use the kitchen at all - but it looked adequate (but dated) if I was to stay any length of time. It would have been nice to have ice in the freezer - needed it to reduce some swelling on an ankle but there was none in the freezer and no ice maker on the floor (or any other floor from what I read in the 'hotel manual book' - apparently you have to take your ice bucket to the restaurant or something? I didn't bother). Bathroom was definitely dated - hardware very old, bathtub had the beginnings of rust stains around the drain and the steam fan was so loud and clangy that I thought for sure it was about to take flight.

The only vending machine (down on P2) was out of order - so I couldn't get a drink. Annoying.

The room was pretty dated, the sofa was probably older than I was and looked like it hadn't had a bath since it was brought into the room. The television is from the last century. It's also on a tv stand so short that you can't watch tv comfortably from bed - you either have to lie near the bottom of the bed or sit on the sofa.

I will say that the bed was very comfortable, linens clean and modern. But the king size bed didn't have two side tables which was mildly annoying. There was also no outlet on the desk that I could plug my phone or ipad into (I'm very used to this being available in my hotel rooms - usually in the base of a lamp or at the very minimum an outlet near the bedside table that you can get to easily - there is an outlet on the side of the bed - of course, the side without the table.)

The wifi was painfully slow and I gave up after a few minutes.

The coffee in the room was Canterbury - terrible. I like to see good coffee - Kicking Horse or Starbucks or something. Canterbury is basically vending machine coffee. But there was liquid coffee whitener which is at least better than the powder stuff and as close to cream as you're going to get without it being actual cream.

Ate dinner in the restaurant because they gave a $20 off dinner voucher with my room - which I thought was pretty cool. It was average - service was good but the salmon was overcooked. We didn't linger.

Overall - for one night, it was fine but I would say it's on par with other mid-range 3-star hotels like Holiday Inn etc. I think it's 'trying' to be more upscale - and the lounge and lobby do appear that way but unless they can get the rooms updated, it really doesn't make it to a 3.5 or 4 in my books.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dumfries, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I am just back from a 10 night stay with my partner at this hotel at the beginnning of October. We had an amazing time in Canada and our visit was made even better by the friendly, helpful staff at Century Plaza. We arrived late at night after a very long day and were greeted by smiling staff that sorted our rooom on the top floor of the hotel. The next morning I was really excited to see a gorgeous view of the mountains that I had requested direct with the hotel. The restaurant is delicious and very good value compared to many places in the surrounding area. The location is absolutely perfect, you are right in the centre of Downtown Vancouver and there is always a taxi outside if you don't fancy a walk (we like to wander round exploring so only took the taxi to/from the airport) The hop-on-hop-off tour buses stop right outside the fromt door and the reception staff can organise you're tickets and get you any online discounts available. We found the staff very useful when we were setting out, full of tips of what to see/do and how to get there, they gave us great ideas before we set off for an over night stay in Whistler and offered to book a hotel on our behalf but we had already done so. Overall this is the perfect hotel for a long or short stay in Vancouver, nothing seems like too much trouble for the staff adn even the locals told us how great the location was. Big thnaks to all the trip advisor reviewers that helped me choose this hotel.

Room Tip: ASk for a room on a high floor, the views are amazing!!
Devon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

You are in central Vancouver here and you can stay at a reasonable rate, ESPECIALLY comparing it to staying in London!
We stayed in one of their studio apartments. It was brilliant. Slightly battered about but perfectly comfortable.
If you have the parking and breakfast deal, the breakfast is unusual - either a full blown English breakfast fry up or waffles and cream! I just wanted a yoghurt or fruit but this was not on the deal!
However, service was good.

Kamloops, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Stayed at the hotel 3 nights, I was in 3 different rooms and all were very dated and not very clean, the couches in all the rooms were so dirty you wouldn't want to sit on them with bare legs. The carpets had stains all over and when I walked around the room I had hairs stuck to my socks. They moved me to a different room because the tv was dying (CRT not flat screen) If you stay here get a room on the church side, the hospital side is very loud with emergency vehicals going in and out all night. No gym and the YMCA is $15 drop in.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear LeonardBKamloops_BC,

Thank you for your review, as we value all types of feedback, whether negative or positive. To address a couple of your concerns, we do take the cleanliness of our hotel very seriously and our housekeeping staff have a very strict inspection list they must pass before a room is given to a guest. Until recently, many of our studio rooms still did have the older CRT model 27" televisions, however you will be happy to hear that they are currently being replaced with larger 40" flat screen LCD's. Our carpets are very new and are shampooed regularly, if you have a moment to contact us directly, we like to be able to see which room you have mentioned, as we want to be able to take care of it. You are correct in that we do not offer a gym at the hotel, however as mentioned, the YMCA is right next door. The hotel also has a large pool in which guests can swim laps, or they may enjoy our full service spa and steam rooms as well. Thank you again for your review and we hope that we can accommodate you in the future. Best regards.
British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

This was my second visit to the Century Plaza. From the point of making the reservation to checking out and walking out the front door, service in this hotel was outstanding!!! The only comparison I have that even comes close is a 5 star Dreams hotel in Mexico. The staff greets you at every corner with a warm hello & they go out of their way to make your stay wonderful. The rooms are clean, bright and cozy. Both stays we had a nice view of the water and city. The duvets are fluffy and soft. Kitchens are also included plus Internet is free and you receive a $20 coupon for the restaurant upon check in. The coffee shop is comfortable and makes a great chai latte! The hotel is centrally located on Burrard St. It's close to the sky train, St Paul's hospital and Robson St. Only a short trip or walk to most downtown attractions (Rogers arena, the lovely brick churches, etc). Dinner at the restaurant was upscale and delicious. We didn't have a chance to visit the comedy club though. Overall this is the one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. You will receive your money's worth and more!! The warm and happy staff is what put this hotel over the top! Don't pass up this gem in the heart of Vancouver!

• Stayed October 2012
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I am currently staying at Century Plaza. I'll be here for 3 or 4 nights and am enjoying my stay here so far. It is an older building with an upgraded, modern lobby. I'm assuming it was an apartment building before because the rooms are apartment style. I have a full kitchen which is great because I like to prepare some of my own meals. Being an apartment-style room it is very comfortable with a separate bedroom. It worked out well because as I am traveling with a friend, we didn't have to book 2 separate rooms. The sofa in the living room is a full sized pull out bed. There is a TV in the living and the bedroom. I was happy to see that the bathroom personal hygiene products are organic and smell lovely. The one turn off was that the plumbing/faucet could use some work (see my photos). There's a nice perk here too. If you forfeit housecleaning services, you are awarded with $5 off dining in the hotel restaurant...who changes their towels everyday at home anyway? I had a vegetarian breakfast that consisted of an english muffin, spinach, tomato and poached egg with hollandaise. VERY YUMMY. Very affordable also. The hotel is conveniently located near Burrard SkyTrain station so getting around isn't a fuss. I'll be heading to Granville public market today...which is said to only be about a 15 walk/aquabus journey. You also get free wifi in your room. I'd recommend this hotel to those wanting a comfortable stay at a comfortable price.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on a higher floor and maybe not facing the main room as it does get a little noisy...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Century Plaza Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!