“Good price and good service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Century Plaza Hotel & Spa

You added Century Plaza Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Century Plaza Hotel & Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1015 Burrard St., Vancouver, British Columbia V6Z 1Y5, Canada (Downtown)   |
Ranked #42 of 96 Hotels in Vancouver
Devon
“Good price and good service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

You are in central Vancouver here and you can stay at a reasonable rate, ESPECIALLY comparing it to staying in London!
We stayed in one of their studio apartments. It was brilliant. Slightly battered about but perfectly comfortable.
If you have the parking and breakfast deal, the breakfast is unusual - either a full blown English breakfast fry up or waffles and cream! I just wanted a yoghurt or fruit but this was not on the deal!
However, service was good.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Hebrew first
Kamloops, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Stayed at the hotel 3 nights, I was in 3 different rooms and all were very dated and not very clean, the couches in all the rooms were so dirty you wouldn't want to sit on them with bare legs. The carpets had stains all over and when I walked around the room I had hairs stuck to my socks. They moved me to a different room because the tv was dying (CRT not flat screen) If you stay here get a room on the church side, the hospital side is very loud with emergency vehicals going in and out all night. No gym and the YMCA is $15 drop in.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Century-Plaza-Hotel, Guest Relations Manager at Century Plaza Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear LeonardBKamloops_BC,

Thank you for your review, as we value all types of feedback, whether negative or positive. To address a couple of your concerns, we do take the cleanliness of our hotel very seriously and our housekeeping staff have a very strict inspection list they must pass before a room is given to a guest. Until recently, many of our studio rooms still did have the older CRT model 27" televisions, however you will be happy to hear that they are currently being replaced with larger 40" flat screen LCD's. Our carpets are very new and are shampooed regularly, if you have a moment to contact us directly, we like to be able to see which room you have mentioned, as we want to be able to take care of it. You are correct in that we do not offer a gym at the hotel, however as mentioned, the YMCA is right next door. The hotel also has a large pool in which guests can swim laps, or they may enjoy our full service spa and steam rooms as well. Thank you again for your review and we hope that we can accommodate you in the future. Best regards.
British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

This was my second visit to the Century Plaza. From the point of making the reservation to checking out and walking out the front door, service in this hotel was outstanding!!! The only comparison I have that even comes close is a 5 star Dreams hotel in Mexico. The staff greets you at every corner with a warm hello & they go out of their way to make your stay wonderful. The rooms are clean, bright and cozy. Both stays we had a nice view of the water and city. The duvets are fluffy and soft. Kitchens are also included plus Internet is free and you receive a $20 coupon for the restaurant upon check in. The coffee shop is comfortable and makes a great chai latte! The hotel is centrally located on Burrard St. It's close to the sky train, St Paul's hospital and Robson St. Only a short trip or walk to most downtown attractions (Rogers arena, the lovely brick churches, etc). Dinner at the restaurant was upscale and delicious. We didn't have a chance to visit the comedy club though. Overall this is the one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. You will receive your money's worth and more!! The warm and happy staff is what put this hotel over the top! Don't pass up this gem in the heart of Vancouver!

• Stayed October 2012
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I am currently staying at Century Plaza. I'll be here for 3 or 4 nights and am enjoying my stay here so far. It is an older building with an upgraded, modern lobby. I'm assuming it was an apartment building before because the rooms are apartment style. I have a full kitchen which is great because I like to prepare some of my own meals. Being an apartment-style room it is very comfortable with a separate bedroom. It worked out well because as I am traveling with a friend, we didn't have to book 2 separate rooms. The sofa in the living room is a full sized pull out bed. There is a TV in the living and the bedroom. I was happy to see that the bathroom personal hygiene products are organic and smell lovely. The one turn off was that the plumbing/faucet could use some work (see my photos). There's a nice perk here too. If you forfeit housecleaning services, you are awarded with $5 off dining in the hotel restaurant...who changes their towels everyday at home anyway? I had a vegetarian breakfast that consisted of an english muffin, spinach, tomato and poached egg with hollandaise. VERY YUMMY. Very affordable also. The hotel is conveniently located near Burrard SkyTrain station so getting around isn't a fuss. I'll be heading to Granville public market today...which is said to only be about a 15 walk/aquabus journey. You also get free wifi in your room. I'd recommend this hotel to those wanting a comfortable stay at a comfortable price.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on a higher floor and maybe not facing the main room as it does get a little noisy...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Shropshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Location 5/5

Perfect for Downtown, Stanley Park, Granville Island and the transit system which all just a few minutes walk away, you couldn't ask for a better location. For those concerned about the hospital nearby and the noise from ambulances, get a room on the north side and don't sweat it - I'm amazingly sensitive to noise and yet I heard only a few momnetary sirens the first Friday night we arrived, and that was because I was jetlagged and couldn't sleep. By day two we weren't even aware of them.

Facilities 4/5

The Coffee shop was great. Cheap snacks and great coffee. We didn't try the restaurant, Comedy Club or the spa because we were on a very tight budget so can't comment on either.

I met a fellow guest who moaned about the basement pool and said it was 'set in a pokey little underground dungeon', but personally I liked it. I found it enjoyably quirky and most importantly the water was warm - which isn't always the case in hotels. The steam room was a little compact, but was perfectly okay.

Service 5/5

Friendly and helpful service from the moment we walked through the door. Particular thanks to both Gerry and Randy who went out of their way to help and advise us and Elisabeth who cleaned the room and left it spotless every day.

Even at the busiest times, enquiries were handled in a friendly way that made you feel special.

We stayed a week, and we felt as though we were coming home each evening.

The rooms 5/5

We booked a two-room suite with a queen-sized bed. It was large and roomy with plenty of space and a lovely kitchen, which saved us a ton of cash because Vancouver is extremely expensive to eat out in. Okay so the decor wasn't 5-star boutique hotel splendour, the bath isn't a 9' marble plunge tub and and the couch isn't made of calf-skin leather, but for what you pay it was perfectly acceptable and comfortable enough.

The amount of room and the breath-taking views of the ocean, city and mountains made it a most enjoyable place to relax.

There were a couple of very minor fitting issues, the spring on the back of the door fell off, the toilet had a small hairline crack in it (it didn't leak) and the TV reception was very poor for the pay TV channels (fine for normal ones) so if you're the kind of perfectionist who gets outraged by such things you'll fine a few things to moan about - but we were very happy.

There was so much space it felt as though we were in a great apartment, rather than a hotel room, so were really happy.

Some minor issues 2/5

The lifts were a little small and can take only five people in comfort. We had no problems getting the free wifi set-up, but it was very slow. That said there is a free PC and internet service in the coffee bar. The room service menu was okay, but it would have been nice to have a wider range of hot sandwiches available. All minor issues and nothing which detracted from our enjoyment of the hotel.

Overall 5/5

Fantastic value for money and a perfect place from which to explore Vancouver. The staff are intelligent, helpful and friendly and I'd go back without any hesitation.

It's not a plush five-star hotel, but it's ideal for couples and families who want a great location, great view, and plenty of space to unwind.

Lovely

Room Tip: For the best view and peace and quiet ask for a room on the North West side as high up as possible.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We come to Vancouver for wknd getaways and stay in different hotels. I won't stay here again. I did book the cheapest deal online but not what I expected. Checked in, staff very nice. We get to our room, key doesn't work, friend goes to get new key, that one doesn't work, she goes back down comes back with hotel staff - he can't get it work. He has to go get manager, all the time we have to wait for them when we wanted to get out of the room. So we have to hang out while they try to fix our door which is wasting time for us. Can't get it fixed so we move rooms, they upgraded us, okay great. But the hotel rooms are tired, worn out. Shower curtain is flimsy, towels feel like sandpaper - it was a nicer room on a top floor but not that big of a deal. Beds were pretty comfortable. Oh and this is a very NOISY hotel, you hear everything.

No late check-out (checkout is 11:00) so we had to hurry and get out because they were too busy that Friday we were checking out.

Parking, self-park which is fine but I had a parking ticket on my window even after I registered my car and I was told nothing had to be on the dash. So just another hassle to have to go back in and wait to talk to front desk to give them the ticket that I was in no way going to pay. For all the hassles they could of at least comp'd us parking but that didn't happen... we get upgraded to a new room - big deal it wasn't that much better then the original room.

I realize things happen but was not impressed with this hotel - better places to stay in Vancouver. Not sure about the 3.5 star rating...but we all have our own preferences.

Staff was very nice and accomodating as they could be.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Zerrina,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We're very happy that you enjoyed the level of service and value provided. We'd like to apologize for the inconvenience with access to your room. We recently updated our security system and had some issues with some of our locks at the time you checked in. We have since fixed the issue. With regards to your parking experience, the lot attached to the hotel is secured and managed by a third party. Although not often, there have been instances where guests have been given a parking ticket due to the vehicle not being registered right away. We always take care of these, however for those guests who are in a rush, they can either fax us the ticket at a later time, or give it to one of our bell staff and they will be happy to take care of it for you. We're sorry that you were made to wait, as usually we're able to attend to guests right away. Thank you again for your review. Best regards.
SUITLAND
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

I enjoyed. The hotel. The room was clean and well appointed. I have no complaints. The staff was friendly and helpful. The hotel could use a business center for free access to printing and other services.