“Never disappoints” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Vancouver Centre

You added Holiday Inn Vancouver Centre to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Vancouver Centre
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   711 West Broadway | @ Heather Street, Vancouver, British Columbia V5Z 3Y2, Canada (Fairview)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #40 of 96 Hotels in Vancouver
“Never disappoints”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We stay at the Holiday Inn on Broadway every time we visit Vancouver and it never disappoints. The staff is friendly and very competent. The rooms are bright, clean, and well appointed. The beds are very comfortable, hotel high-quality mattresses that provide wonderful support and yet never seem hard or unyielding. How do they do that? We like the buffet breakfast in the restaurant dining room. The food is great and the service is friendly and responsive. Hotel management has done an outstanding job building a culture of great customer service. All employees greet visitors with a warm smile and a cheerful greeting. The location on Broadway has about three dozen restaurants within a two-block radius and has a safe comfortable feel. You can’t go wrong here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Danny H, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Vancouver Centre, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Walter W,

Greetings from the Holiday Inn Vancouver Centre! It was our pleasure having you here. It is great to hear that you enjoyed our newly renovated room as well as our buffet breakfast in our hotel restaurant, Stages Bistro.

As well, thank you very much for your compliments, this would certainly make our staff proud as we strive to provide the best friendly service possible.

We look forward to welcoming you again on your next trip to Vancouver!

Regards,

Danny

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
British Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Very nice updated property with friendly helpful staff and clean, spacious rooms. Free wi-fi that worked and a sparkling bathroom added to the appeal. For a downtown location the access is good, i.e. you can drive right in and park off the street outside the lobby while checking in - you don't have to find a parking spot first. Then simply drive up the ramp and you are there, a very quick walk to your room regardless of where the car is.

We didn't check out the pool or restaurant but they seemed clean and well attended.

If you need to visit UBC (15 minute drive but still about the closest hotel), or Vancouver General Hospital, this is THE property for you. Walking, it's maybe 15 minutes to Granville Island, and the Skytrain is a mere 5 minutes as well. Numerous restaurants, fast food outlets, supermarkets, boutiques, big box stores and liquor vendors are easily within walking distance, which you will probably want to do once you have settled in to your $17 parking space (which does include tax and is not unreasonable given the ease of use and location).

Noise of the ice machine and my personal pet peeve - not being able to correct the aspect ration of the flat screen TV - lead to slightly lower rating.

If I need to be in the neighborhood, would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: There are good views in pretty much every direction so if this is important to you, the higher the b...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Danny H, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Vancouver Centre, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Ydnar,

Thank you for staying at the Holiday Inn Vancouver-Centre.

I am glad to know that you have enjoyed our convenient location and wonderful newly renovated facilities.

I am sorry to hear that due to those issues you were not able to give us a perfect score; however, we are looking into it to possibly find a solution.

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

From the time Shawn Kim at the front desk checked us in, to Sandra`s attentive service in Stages, until we did express check out five days later, everything about our stay here was excellent. Actually, all the staff we encountered were extremely friendly, helpful, and happy. We were greeted by the front desk every time we went through the lobby and the housekeeping staff were ever ready to accommodate any request we made about extra towels or extra decaf coffee packets.

We are platimum priority members with the IHG, so were upgraded at check in to an extremely quiet room on the 15th floor with a balcony and a view of the Burrard inlet and the harbour beyond. We were fortunate enough to have sunny days while there, which made the view even nicer.

Our room did have an adjoining door to another room, but the other folks were quiet, so we were lucky there. I agree with another reviewer and normally find that adjoining rooms can sometimes be noisy.

This hotel has recently gone through an extensive renovation and everything was updated, new, clean, and tastefully decorated. The beds were the best I've had in a hotel, but I think I always say this! Nice and firm, but not too firm, just the way we like a bed to be. Nice linens, fluffy towels, and lots of them, along with nice toiletries, which were generously replenished daily. A free newspaper was delivered every morning, again I think this is for priority club members, but not sure, maybe everyone gets one. Still it was a nice touch.

There was a large desk in the room for the computer with lots of electrical outlets, including an outlet to charge your USB gadgets and a lamp that actually had enough light to be helpful when working at the desk. The fridge in the cupboard under the TV console was a nice bonus.

We ate twice at Stages restaurant on the main floor: once for dinner and once for lunch and we highly recommend it. Sandra looked after us both times and was friendly, professional, prompt, and attentive without being intrusive. The food was tasty and priced quite reasonably. For dinner we had delicious veggie burgers smothered in sliced sauted mushrooms and melted cheese, accompanied by nice size side salads. For lunch we had the salmon pattie burgers with fries. The salmon patties were made from fresh salmon and not canned and were rolled in panko crumbs and perfectly cooked to our taste and the fries were good as well. Each meal came in at around $32.00 including tip, which we thought was reasonable for a meal for two.

Of course parking is not free, but we were staying on points, so the extra $17.00 a day for parking was not a problem. Even the parking lot and the parking lobbies have been refreshed with new paint and both were well lit.

We never made it to the pool, as we were quite busy while on this trip with both business and personal schedules, but understand the pool and pool area has also been renovated and updated. Maybe we will check it out next time.

We haven't stayed at this hotel for years, as things had become a little faded and tired, so we have stayed elsewhere for our last visits to the Vancouver area. We probably wouldn't have stayed here this time, but the hotel we normally stay at was full, so we thought we'd give this one another try. We had forgotten how conveniently located this hotel is in the centre of Vancouver and within walking distance of many of the places we had to go on this trip. And now with the renovation it's like staying at a brand new hotel. I am sure we will return to stay at this hotel on future visits to Vancovuer.

Room Tip: The rooms on the west side and higher up have nice views of the Burrard inlet and False Creek area.
Dear Alectric9,

Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful and detailed review.

I am very happy to know that you have enjoyed your stay here at the Holiday Inn Vancouver-Centre.

Shawn and Sandra are thrilled to know that they were able to contribute to such a positive and memorable stay.

Thank you again for your kind comments. It was a pleasure having you stay with us!

Whitehorse, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

This hotel is super close to VGH which makes it convenient for those travelling on medical. The staff were efficient and friendly, and the rooms were clean. Nice bathroom ammenities (bath and body works) and recently renovated rooms were a plus. $5.00 cab ride to Granville Island makes this a central location for sightseeing also. Very close ($8.00 cab, or 5k walk) to downtown attractions such as Robson Street and the Vancouver aquarium. Good quality for the price. Try to book on Hotwire for a great deal.

Dear YukonMade,

Thank you for staying at the Holiday Inn Vancouver-Centre.

I am very glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

I look forward to welcoming you to our hotel in the near future.

Victoria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Normally, a hotels worst rooms are directly across from the elevator. In a miraculous demonstration of lateral thinking, Holiday Inn Vancouver Center has managed to solve this problem....by creating one even worse room directly opposite the ice machine. This clever unit reminds you at least hourly, through it's series of noises, that ice is ready for your every whim. But this was just our room, and we pricelined it. It's my theory that there is a global conspiracy to disuade people from using price line by ensuring that if they do, they receive the room opposite the ice machine...or if the property lacks an ice machine I suppose accross from the elevators will do for us priceliners. That said, I think if you had any other room the rooms are just fine. Nicely updated actually and the linens, although perhaps a bit thin, were clean and soft and nice. I've written many times how much I appreciate a fridge in a room and this does not have one, perhaps due to the extremely convenient supply of ice.

It's really a great place due primarily to the staff. If this place was a 3 star, the staff definately would push it to 4. They said "yes" at every turn, and with a smile I might add. Walking distance to South Ganville's awesome shopping and to Kitsilano. If you have business anywhere around Vancouver general you're in the right place. Walking distance to that as well.

In summary: well located, excellent staff, and quite sanitary. I have no doubt I will stay here again

Room Tip: If you read my review, it might be an idea just to ask if you are near an ice machine.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Danny H, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Vancouver Centre, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear HavanaBob,

Thank you very much for choosing the Holiday Inn Vancouver Centre for your accommodations needs while visiting Vancouver. It was an honour to have you here as one of our many valued guests. We are terrible sorry to hear your sleep quality was not satisfactory. All of our staff are dedicated to provide each and every guest with a positive ‘home away from home’ experience. Our team treats all guests the same regardless of the booking channel used. It is a misconception for many guests that they would receive less then a standard room when using a third party booking agent. I am sorry you feel this way.

Once again, thank you very much for taking your time providing us with valuable feedback on your recent stay with us. We certainly do hope to see you again in the future.

Danny
Guest Services Manager
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is conveniently located near UBC, the vancouver general hospital, BC cancer agency, etc. There are many amenities closby including restaurants and shops and this is why I chose this hotel. Our room was clean, the beds comfortable and the toiletries provided were nice. The staff were courteous and efficient.

Having said all of the above, I would most likely not stay at this hotel again. There was a room adjoining ours and we could hear conversations clearly not to mention the television and radio through the closed door. This was unacceptable in my opinion.

• Stayed February 2013
Danny H, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Vancouver Centre, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear BCCyclist,

Thank you very much for choosing the Holiday Inn Vancouver-Centre and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

I am very glad to hear that you have enjoyed our hotel’s convenient location. As you mentioned, our hotel is close to many tourist attractions, shopping malls, and great restaurants. Our staff members are also dedicated to provide you with the best service possible.

In regards to the noise from the connecting door, we are very sorry to hear you were disturbed by the neighbouring guest. Our connecting doors are constructed with two solid doors, and weather strip around sides to minimize the noise transfer from one room to another (connecting room); I apologize for any inconveniences this might have caused you. Please do not hesitate to inform us immediate when the neighbouring guest is being extra loud so that we can take the necessary actions to ensure you have a pleasant stay at our hotel.

I truly hope you can consider the Holiday Inn Vancouver-Centre on your next visit to Vancouver.

Guest Services Manager
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Unfortunately I can only give this hotel a one star rating as our car was broken into during our stay. Upon check in I inquired about the public parking lot used by their guests as I was concerned since it is not gated, but was assured that it was patrolled and also monitored by hotel management. This reassured me, and my husband and I made sure to completely clean out our car and even parked right in front of a camera to be "extra safe". Even with these extra measures our car along with at least two others (that we know of) were broken into. The most surprising part is that no one at the hotel was aware of the fact until we checked out at 9am and my husband discovered it. Please note that we also have a car alarm which was set. This parking lot is obviously not patrolled.

The most disappointing aspect was the way we were treated by the staff after the break in. When I approached the front desk to make them aware of the matter and to ask if he could call a taxi for me, the gentleman was very cold towards me. He wouldn't even call me a taxi, just told me to "go out front, there's probably one there." Luckily there was, although there was another family waiting for one as well. On a positive note, the two gentlemen that came to clean up all the broken glass from our car were extremely helpful and friendly, they even made sure to remove our car seat and make sure it was vacuumed thoroughly.

Yes, this hotel has been upgraded and the price was great! We also enjoyed our breakfast at the attached restaurant as well. We were there for medical reasons as I need to attend appointments at the BC Women's Hospital and the location is also great. But once you factor in the repair costs of the window, and the extra time and inconvenience of having to wait to have the car fixed it wasn't such a great deal after all.

If you choose to stay here, please be extra cautious about parking in the parkade. I'm not sure if there is another parking option, but as I stated before we had nothing in our car, and were parked right in front of a camera and it was still broken into.

Room Tip: Please be cautious of using the public parkade.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear happylittlefamily,

Thank you very much for staying at the Holiday Inn Vancouver-Centre and for taking the time to write about your experience.

I am very sorry about the incident that happened during your stay and any inconveniences that might have caused you.

Unfortunately, this type of incident is a known issue for the lower mainland area and we have taken the measures to post signs in the parking lot to inform guests not to leave any valuables or anything that might appear to be valuable in the vehicle anywhere in the city. In order to increase the safety of the public parking lot that is located adjacent to the hotel, it is patrolled regularly, unscheduled to avoid a pattern. We also have cameras installed in the parking lot in order to provide information to the Vancouver Police Department in the event of an incident when needed.

Please know that we are taking this issue very seriously and we will continue to work actively with the public parking management company to see if there is anything else we could do to increase the safety of the parking lot.

I would also like to apologize for the way one of our staff members treated you in regards to calling a taxi. Please know that this behaviour is not up to our Holiday Inn standards and it is not tolerated. We will do our best to ensure that the level of service is elevated to better serve you and all other hotel guests.

Thank you very much for sharing your very kind and positive comments about our location, facilities, price and breakfast; your feedback is extremely appreciated.

I truly hope you can consider the Holiday Inn Vancouver-Centre on your next visit to Vancouver; it would be a pleasure to have you stay with us!

Best regards,

Danny Huang

Been to Holiday Inn Vancouver Centre? Share your experiences!