“Great but noisy” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hostelling International Vancouver Central

Save Saved
You added Hostelling International Vancouver Central to your Saves list
Hostelling International Vancouver Central
1025 Granville Street, Vancouver, British Columbia V6Z 1L4, Canada (Formerly Royal Hotel) (Downtown)   |
London, England
“Great but noisy”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2007

I thought this hostel's location was great. It was within walking distance of everything in Vancouver.
I stayed in a private ensuite room which was of a good standard. Better than some hotels I've stayed in, in Rome and NIce, and was at a fraction of the price. Bed linen and towels were provided.
They provided a lovely breakfast for free. A selection of cereals, breads, pastries, teas, coffees and juices. They also had internet access, a kitchen, lockers, a sitting room and great information boards. They seemed to organise nights and trips too.
My only complaint was that if you wanted to have an early night and go to sleep, you couldn't. The hostel is over a nightclub and the sound carried through the whole of the hostel, there was no getting away from it. We stayed on the 2nd floor and then on the 4th floor and it made no difference. The music was loud from 9pm to 2am. Even earplugs were useless.

Stayed May 2007

151 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Oslo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2007

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for one week in a private room with bathroom. The room was basic but more than good enough for us. We were lucky to get a room in the 4th floor but we still could hear the music from the nightclub. The bed was not good, it was very soft and we both rolled into the middle. But the location was great, the staff was great and the common area was also great. We would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — the bed
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2007

We stayed for three nights. The room was massive with its own sink and air con and a toilet next door. The double bed was comfy with clean sheets and towels. The shower rooms on the third floor were spotless and looked as though they were recently refurbished. Our room was on the third floor and at the back so only very slight noise from the bar downstairs. Breakfast was eat as much as you want (standard HI stuff but still great). Location was good and slightly on the edge of the main centre. We felt safe wondering around during the day - just DO NOT go to E Hastings - very very dodgey in the day so god knows about the night!

• Liked — cleanliness and location (and breakfast)
  • Disliked — not much
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Aussie on RTW adventure
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2007

ROOM
We had a private room, the washbasin was welcome so I did not have to keep going out of the room. There was a bunk in this room. The room itself was very aged.

There were no lockers, which I did not appreciate given the other HI Hostels I have stayed in had lockers in Private Rooms. I had to lock my laptop to the heater, I do not like to display this to the staff or whoever might be walking by when the door is open.

NOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Where do I start? Perhaps I should have assumed better, but when I checked in it was quiet as could be in a room at the back of the building.

I strongly object to there not being sufficient info on the website about it being built in between nightclub walls. It should state something to the effect that there is little possibility of quiet until 2am or 3am. Unluckily my private room wall and the nightclub wall were the same. Luckily I had earplugs, so I got a few hours sleep.

The least they could do would be to mention it at check in so you can go to the ‘HI Downtown’ which is substantially quieter. I would have been happy to do this.

COMPLIMENTART BREAKFAST
This is average by hostel standards, but if you are after a light breakfast then it is fine. There is limited choice. The kitchen seating area only holds between 10 and 15 people so it is quite small. If you want a seat then get there at 7:55am.

BATHROOM
There seemed to be 2 types on the floor, and aged one and a new one. Both were very clean. There was only 1 shower per room, so very private. The showers cannot be faulted.
In the one near my room, the toilet door did not lock properly, a little nerve wracking.

INTERNET
This was available in the common area for a fee, or you could plug in, there are only 3 plugs for this, therefore waiting may be required. My memory is that there was not wireless.

LOCATION
Yes it is central, but really, anything in Downtown Vancouver is central and can be walked to easily.

OTHER COMMENTS
My friend saw a mouse.

I should thank this hostel for one very good thing, as a result of staying here I learnt about online reviews and discovered Tripadvisor. My ability to chose acceptable places to stay has increased as a result.

WOULD I STAY HERE AGAIN?
I would never stay here again because I like sleep as a priority, and I would never recommend it to a fellow traveller unless they did not like to sleep. The benefits of this place do not outwieght the negatives.

• Liked — Not too pricey
  • Disliked — Noise. Noise. Noise. That the hostel does not forewarn of noise is disappointing.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2007

We stayed at this hostel (which is much more like a HOTELl!!) for 4 nights in feb 2007. We were all very impressed with the hostel on a whole. From the moment we walked into the foyer we were highly impressed. its a very welcoming and cosy hostel with great discounts on offer. (especially if you join the Hostelling International Membership)...its worthwhile checking out the ghost tour they offer for $12 CAD, a very well spent 2 hours!!!

We booked a 4 person mixed dorm room for the 3 of us, as it was cheaper than a private room..and as it turned out we never had another person stay in the room with us anyhow!! The bathrooms for the mixed dorms were extremely clean and tidy and i never had to wait to use one of the many provided on each floor.

I would also highly recommend the FREE BREAKFAST!! the first morning we were quite jet lagged having flown over from Brisbane, Australia and slept right through it!!...the next morning we got up early and made sure not to miss it...and it was worth it. they have really delicious muffins, heaps of tasty danishes, orange juice, cereal, toast etc. this was something we often commented we had wished the other hostels offered, instead of boring pancake mixes that u are supposed to cook yourself!

On the whole the only slightly negative thing i could think of is that the hostel is right next to a nightclub. But being on Granville Street, you would be hardpressed not to find a hostel/hotel that isnt! we were on the third floor and was so tired anyhow the music only kept me awake one night.

So all in all, the HI Vancouver Central is highly recommended for any weary traveller looking for a cosy and clean place to call home for a few days whilst travelling in Vancouver! Would certainly recommend you check it out. i am sure you will be as pleasently surprised as us and want to return as soon as u see another hostel : ) definately going back if we ever find ourselves in Vancouver again.

Stayed February 2007
Scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2006

First impressions of the hostel were pretty good. I booked a private room which was on the first floor. The room was nice and clean. The en-suite bathroom was really good.

The central location was really good too.

However, I had stayed in the Hi-Hostel Downtown right before moving to this one and it is much better. The facilities were really good - the kitchen, tv room, internet access etc. In comparison the tv room, lounge and kitchen are really small in the central hostel.

The downtown hostel has wi-fi access in the dining room. In the central hostel there are only a few spaces to plug your laptop in to gain internet access and everytime I went down there was a queue or people hovering over your shoulder for a space.

Both hostels had friendly staff - no complaints there.

The downside of the Central hostel is definately the loud music which goes on till the early hours. I'm also pretty sure I heard a mouse or something during my last night in the room.

Overall, I would certainly recommend the Downtown hostel over the Central one.

• Liked — friendly staff, location
  • Disliked — loud music
  • Stayed April 2006
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2006

I stayed at HI's Vancouver Central hostel for 3 nights over a weekend in dorm accomodations, which are single sex with 4 bunk beds in each.

The pros: The room itself was fine; clean sheets, soft mattress and well-maintained. Nice showers in the shared washrooms. The location is good for getting around and seeing the city. The facilities were acceptable, but not spectacular. Some, not all, of the staff were very friendly and helpful. Others seemed genuinely uninterested in helping out and answering questions. The price is right compared to other Vancouver accomodations, but must be considered alongside the cons...

The cons: Where to begin... The toilets were absolutely disgusting. Almost always stopped up. In the staff's defense, they were attentive about resolving this problem, but could not keep up with the fact that almost everything seemed to clog the facilities. The location, while central, is miserable unless you plan on partying very hard. I was on the 3rd floor and could hear and feel the music from the clubs below until about 3-4 in the morning. To enter the hostel on Friday and Saturday night, you literally have to push your way through crowds of teenagers waiting to get into the neighboring clubs.

Can't comment: I did not use the lounge, internet or kitchen facilities. I also did not have the free breakfast, which is served for 1 hour from 8 to 9 in the morning.

Overall, the hostel is above average compared to many other hostels I've been to, but don't go if you need rest and a toilet.

Stayed June 2006

Been to Hostelling International Vancouver Central? Share your experiences!