“Great stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hostelling International Vancouver Central

You added Hostelling International Vancouver Central to your Saves list
Hostelling International Vancouver Central
1025 Granville Street, Vancouver, British Columbia V6Z 1L4, Canada (Formerly Royal Hotel) (Downtown)   |
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Great stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

HI Vancouver Central is in a great location for the City on Granville Street. The breakfast was incredible! So much food available from half 7 on-wards. Bagels, muffins, tea, coffee, juice, toast, scones, fruit, cereals, yogurts, everything you can think of!
Friendly, helpful staff who are on hand to tell you where to go to get the most out of your visit to Vancouver.
Not very lively hostel, most people keep themselves to themselves but if you are travelling in a party then this is not a problem for you.
Tad pricey but you are paying for the convenient location and great breakfast treats!
Was perfect for what we were looking for and would definitely recommend to any young, travelling parties.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

Best thing about this place is the free breakfast, bagels, cream cheese, muffins, fruit, cereal, toast, juice, tea, coffee!

Not a lively place at all, most people keep to themselves and there were a real mix of older and young travelers. Some people were up for a chat at breakfast. I stayed here on and off while I was traveling BC and Alberta. Was a quiet place to have a break in between my busy travels around west Canada. I only ever had one other person in my room and sometimes I had it to myself.

All rooms I stayed in were fairly clean and only some of them you could adjust the heat, but they all had a window that opens.

Bathrooms were clean and separate, not like a big shower block. The lift was great as I had a huge amount of luggage. The worst thing about this place was the room key cards failed in me about 10 times.

They also sell cheap Canucks tickets!

• Stayed February 2013
Rovaniemi, Lapland, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Stayed there two nights for a city trip. Went earlier than the check in hour and our room was ready for us. Friendly staff, they know the city and respond well to request. We had private room with big bed and our own bathroom. Room was nice. Furniture was a bit "oldish" but otherwise a lot of space and handy. Unfortunately we were located in the third floor and the lift was broken, but it is no big deal. Breakfast is decent, but nothing amazing. Location of the hostel is just perfect.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Madrid, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I stayed both in HI and Samesun right across the street so I can compare. I must say I liked Samesun much more. HI is much older building, rooms were not that clean, overall character was quite poor. They have a lot of activities though as every HI. I appreciated an elevator as I had a lot of luggage, breakfast was very rich, wide choise-I liked that. Location is good, staff just average, someone can use ISIC discount. If you can choose,stay in Samesun, it's more lively, more fun...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I originally reserved to stay here for 4 nights, but immediately checked out the very next day. The main reason was the absolute rudeness of one of the housekeeping ladies. I attempted to contact this hostel to complain about it, but nothing was ever resolved since I never received an answer to my complaint. I tried to leave specific details of the situation here on trip advisor, but they weren't happy about the specifics and asked me to modify my review. So I can only say the place needed serious cleaning and was super dirty. Very unfriendly staff except for one lady who worked the night shift the day I arrived. (She was friendly). There's no a/c so the room felt like a sauna which made it difficult to sleep.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night in January, and would have liked to stay longer. It is in a fantastic location, really close to everything. Offers a wide variety of activities to keep you busy. Good common areas, and great continental breakfast included in the room price. The hostel was only half full, but instead of cramming everyone in the same rooms to minimise cleaning effort, they only put 1 or 2 people in each room, giving you a bit more privacy and space, which I thought was really nice.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Room was incredibly cramped and not really cleaned properly. On arrival, we were informed they didnt have our reservation. Good breakfast though; cereal, fruit, muffins, bagels, breads, scones. Good location, close to shopping and bar/clubs.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hostelling International Vancouver Central? Share your experiences!