“Don't believe the hype!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Georgian Court Hotel

Save Saved
You added Georgian Court Hotel to your Saves list
Georgian Court Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   773 Beatty St, Vancouver, British Columbia V6B 2M4, Canada (Downtown)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free Downtown Parking
Ranked #18 of 97 hotels in Vancouver
Montreal, Canada
“Don't believe the hype!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Let's set the record straight immediately. There is nothing luxurious or "boutique" about this hotel.
I believe they purchased their title.

The positives are proximity to BC Place, Gastown, Robson street shopping, free in-house basic Gym, free internet. Clean basic rooms, comfortable bed.

Beyond that I won't bother you with everything that happened during my ten day business stay save for these few facts:

I had to change rooms 4 times due to noise.

Upon check-in I requested a quiet room and was placed directly in front of the elevators.
When I requested to be moved I was then given a room overlooking a major construction site!?
My next room had a communicating door but this establishment never had the presence of doubling them on either side. So following a party that felt as if it was in my room I moved again.
If you check in make sure NOT to get a room with a communicating door!

The heating system in the room is noisy.
In fact they seem to be on to the noise here but are unwilling to do something about it as the first thing you see upon arrival in your room are earplugs prominently placed on the night stand...

The water pressure in the bathrooms is subpar and it takes quite a long time to get hot water.

Be warned! If you forget your "Do Not Disturb" Card the maid service might start knocking at your door at 7h30 AM!?

TV reception is terrible. Most remote controls are slow and sluggish.

The hallways are frigid in winter causing cold damp air to be sucked into the rooms. When I mentioned this to the clerk at the front desk he explained without apology that they had air purifier ducts on the roof and that's how it was. The fire exit and elevator doors are filthy.

Frankie's restaurant in the lobby is expensive for low quality standard fare.

I want to salute here the work of Mr. Fukushima the Front Office Manager and a few of his colleagues for sincerely trying to right the wrongs but the truth is the rest of the hotel just does not cut it.

In short don't believe the hype or the marketing on the website.

This place is clean and convenient for a night or two only but it is as generic as any Marriott and no where near what it is pretending to be.

Room Tip: Don't sleep in the communicating rooms. If you want to eat-in grab some Take-Away on Robson Str...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Lisa J, General Manager at Georgian Court Hotel, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you very much for forwarding your comments. We appreciate your constructive feedback and will direct this to the appropriate departments for follow-up and training. We pride ourselves in delivering exceptional service and are very sorry that we did not meet your expectations during your ten day stay with us. We hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

850 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

We had a room on the 11th floor, overlooking the stadium. When we entered the room, we noticed earplugs on the side tables, which were a littlle offputting! We found out later that night that there was a concert in the stadium opposite, and the hotel staff had provided earplugs to all rooms, should they have trouble sleeping. Very thoughtful! I did use them but the concert finished at midnight and the hotel itself was very quiet. The room was very spacious and the bed extremely comfortable. Everything was extremely clean and well appointed and walking distance to the shopping areas. Used the gym both mornings, valued by a steam sauna and a hot spa. A great way to start the day. We had breakfast in Frankies every morning. The staff went out of their way to make our stay comfortable and nothing was a problem. We would definitely stay here again on our trips to Vancouver and would highly recommend the Georgian Court Hotel to others. Complimentary shuttle bus to the down town area also available, as well as umbrellas to use for the rainy weather we encountered.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Priaries
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel and while initally reluctant due to the location I found the hotel a pleasant surprize.

I had a standard room with two double beds in a quite part of the hotel and with the room facing the street. I arrived to Vancouver on an early flight and got to the hotel expecting to have to leave my bags and come back to check in later in the day. However, the front desk was very welcoming and found a room for me immediatly.

I had some family members come into Vancouver to visit and spend the night with my and for one night my neice and her young son got lost and when they finally found the Georgian Court the front desk allowed her to park in the hotels parking and come in a register rather then park, register then move to the hotel parking lot. After the stress of being lost my niece was most appreciative.

I had some problems with using the phone for long distance and was assisted right a ways when I called for help. When we ran out of coffee and asked for more we were brought more then enough extra coffee paks. When we began using the Aveda products in the bathroom they were promptly replaced.

All in all it was a pleasant stay. Only caveat is one of the elevators were under repair so they were down to one elevator in service. (Expect that to change of course)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Bellingham, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Georgian Court Hotel in downtown Vancouver. We came up to visit the Christmas Market on the Queen Elizabeth Theater Plaza just one block away and spent a Saturday night at the hotel. It being an "off season" there were few people at the hotel, the underground parking garage was empty, and there were no shows or major events at the sports stadium just across the street. It was a comfortable and quiet (still the hotel provides earplugs next to the bed for light sleepers). The room we had was clean, comfortable and well furnished. The artwork was tasteful. The bed and linens were nice. The bathroom was clean and well appointed with Aveda soaps and fluffy towels. The front desk gave us great service, and the housekeepers were friendly and curteous. We ate dinner at the restaurant downstairs and although the noise level was a bit loud, the food and service were excellent. Parking at the hotel is $18 per night, and breakfast is not included so just factor that into the hotel price. The only two negatives to report were simple slip-ups; the housekeeper accidentally left her cleaning rags in the sink after she left and the front desk forgot to present us with our pre-paid breakfast vouchers at check-in. Otherwise it was a very good experience, and I would definitely recommend this hotel to someone wanting a place to stay while exploring the city or spending the night after a show or sporting event.

Room Tip: Get a room on the 11th floor overlooking the sports stadium. You get a nice sunrise over the city in...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We are Van locals but stayed here one evening as our 8yr old was performing in the Nutcracker at the QET 2 blocks away.
This is a lovely hotel, which appears to have had some new renos and updates. You would never know this from the outside (looks '80s), or by its pretentious name, but it really is a wonderful little boutique hotel.
Because there is no hockey season this year, it was pretty quiet, but I can definitely predict that this would not be a quiet venue had there been an event at BC Place as this hotel is right at the front step of BC place.
Service was great. Check-in was fast and they accommodated a late check out request without a problem.
Would most definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Facing away from BC place would be quieter.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

My mother and I stayed on the Orchid floor at the Georgian court hotel for a night mid week while seeing a show, it was beautiful, with all the amenities a girl needs while away the view of BC place was beautiful as the new roof lights up the room with soft light and the room was spacious and clean. Our only complaint was that when we booked we opted for the breakfast buffet with our stay, when we arrived at the restaurant the boast loudly and rudely announced that there was no buffet that he would tell us what we could eat (only 1 item on the menu)and promptly sat us in the far corner near the kitchen access, the food was only passable and parts were completely unappetizing. The hoast seemed to decide upon first glance that we were not good enough for his time or attention and was rude to us from the start. The server was frendly, and had the restaraunt been at all busy we may have discounted our treatment, it was not.The hotel service was very good though and addressed our concerns immediately
I would return to this hotel.
I will not eat at their restaurant again.

Room Tip: The orchid floor is fantastic
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Georgian_Court_Hotel, General Manager at Georgian Court Hotel, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your experience. I am so sorry to learn that we failed you and your basic expectation of a fine breakfast dining experience.

We strive to offer you outstanding service and I am pleased to hear that you were happy with your room accommodations and that our staff at the hotel made your stay welcoming and memorable.

As promised, we are working closely with our restaurant to address your concerns. Both owner and I value your feedback and look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to show you how valuable your are to us.

If you any requests or further concerns, please contact me at 1.800.663.1155 and I would be happy to assist you.

Happy Holidays,
Lisa Jackson, General Manager
Pilot Butte, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Very nice hotel. Friendly and helpful staff. Excellent location by stadium! We would stay here again in a heartbeat. Very close to Robson Street. Everything you could want is in walking distance.

Restaurant on location served a wonderful breakfast.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Georgian Court Hotel? Share your experiences!