“Quiet and Practical” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Uptown Hotel

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Uptown Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Uptown Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   205 Kingsway, Vancouver, British Columbia V5T 3J5, Canada (Formerly Comfort Inn) (South Main)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10% + 500 bonus pts!
Ranked #45 of 96 Hotels in Vancouver
Bromont, Canada
“Quiet and Practical”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

We picked this place using frequent flyer miles and did not expect anything out of the ordinary. This is a no frills hotel with breakfast included. Our room was just spacious enough, our queen bed was comfortable, the place is clean and very quiet (no noise from the corridor or the street - even if it was full the whole time we were there). The staff is friendly and helpful.

Considering that we were not downtown and without car, we were a bit worried about location, but this was not an issue once we figured our way with the well organized public transit system in Vancouver. At the corner of Broadway and Kingsway/Main, the major advantage of this hotel is being close to main bus lines (for those who don't visit by car). You get wherever you want on the East-West axis using 009/099, the Canada Line is two bus stop west. It is a short 20 minutes ride to Canada Place, Gastown, City Centre via bus 019 or 008. There is also BC Cycle Rentals on Quebec Street/6th, a 10 minute walk from the hotel where you can rent good quality city bicycles and visit the city on two wheels (we highly recommend this safe option).

The only down point is the breakfast room. The continental breakfast choice is fine (eggs, sausage, bacon, pastries, yogurt, bread, bagels, cereals, fruits, juices and coffee) and well tended, however the room is a bit too cramped for its success. There was always some elbowing in the morning. A couple more square feet would help reduce the tension before the first coffee.

Room Tip: Third floor was very quiet. There is no ice/vending machine on this floor - so you don't get ex...
    • 4 of 5 stars
Dave S, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Uptown Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide such an informative review for our guests, I am very happy that you had a pleasant stay with us and that you found the location to be very convenient. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Denver, CO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

I was only here for 3 nights. I booked this hotel through priceline. The price was reasonable and the location was what I was looking for. We had a room on the first floor. Nothing fancy. The room (and bathroom) was clean, had internet and tv, and overall met our basic needs. They served breakfast every morning and had enough options to pick from so you could get through the morning.

The hotel is right off Kingsway, which is a pretty busy road, but the noise wasn't too bad. I really liked how you could just walk over to the restaurants/shops on Main Street in 5-10 minutes. There's an underground garage if you have a rental car, but parking was pretty tight down there.

Overall, average hotel experience with a good location.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
Dave S, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Uptown Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your review of our hotel, in the near future the hotel will be undergoing a lot of changes and we hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we may have the opportunity to exceed your expectations.

canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

I left after 3 hours and went to another hotel even though I prepaid for this dump. Run down, room and stairway smelled like 3 families of cats had been urinating there for years. The room I got on the 2nd floor was right above a very busy street with a traffic light and even with earplugs in and a pillow on my head was so loud I couldn't even imagine sleeping through. Do not stay here unless you are deaf.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars

3 Thank kevincanada
Dave S, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Uptown Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Good day KevinCanada,

I am very sorry that you did not enjoy our hotel, we realize that our property is not the optimal accommodation for everyone. However we take pride in the cleanliness of our hotel and often receive compliments on how well kept it is. I would appreciate if you could provide me with an email detailing the issues you had incurred with our hotel so that I may look into these problems personally and have them corrected. As far as I know your only complaint made with the General Manager was due to the traffic noise from Kingsway for your troubles you were provided with a full refund despite the fact that you had booked a non-refundable reservation.

Our main goal is always guest satisfaction, as such we always do our best to be upfront with all of our guests. We do not deny that Kingsway is a major corridor in Vancouver, the hotel experiences advantages and disadvantages of its location on this street. However if a request is made in advance of check in and in most cases at the time of or shortly after check in we will gladly assign a room that is quieter for you. We have 66% of our rooms situated in the quieter regions of the hotel as such this allows us to address such requests at a fairly high success rate.

Thank you very much, we hope that you will continue to use Best Western for your accommodation needs in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

6 nights: This hotel was recommended to me by a Vancouver friend, and it was a great recommendation. I lost most of my eyesight on the flight in and by my first morning was pretty much blind. I spent a week here and the staff was nothing short of spectacular in helping me with my unexpected impairment, getting me to appointments and a couple of day surgeries, finding me another room and moving me when my stay had to be extended before I could fly home, etc., etc. They did everything I needed or wanted, and I felt like I was with professional people who looked out for me. My room(s) were a good size and quiet, and the hot breakfast was very enjoyable and I liked the ambiance- you could sit by yourself or converse with others. Room rates are very good and the location handy for most things too. I'm sure it was clean, but I couldn't really tell ;>) Best hotel experience ever.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Blair R
Dave S, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Uptown Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your review of our hotel, it pleases me so much when a guest feels that the level of service we provided was outstanding. I am very happy to hear that all the staff was more then helpful especially considering your circumstances. We hope to see you again in the future.

Castlegar, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Every time I come to Vancouver, I stay at the Uptown. The staff is fantastic. Great quiet rooms and good breakfast! The location is convenient to public transportation or an easy drive from all directions. I highly recommend the Uptown!

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you very much for the very kind words, I will be sure to pass on the compliments to the Front Desk staff. I am always happy to hear such reviews from repeat guests and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Canberra
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

Spent 3 nights there.
Excellent clean quiet room, friendly helpful front desk staff, free wi-fi and free breakfast would most definitely stay there again.
Close to Broadway and trolley bus to all attractions.

• 5 of 5 stars
Thank you very much for taking your time to provide your review of our hotel, it always pleases me to hear that a guest has had an enjoyable experience here at our hotel and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Forest Grove, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

Staff is effective and the location is accessible to most everything important in the city easily by walking or public transit and their restaurant is great! Their exercise facility is superb. The one downside to the convenient location is the noise to which it is subject from the busy streets and the mall across the street, but the staff and amenities far make up for it.

1 Thank Gavin K
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your review of our hotel, I am very happy hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us and we hope to see you again in the near future. Also thank you for mentioning the noise issues, we understand that light sleepers may have problems with our Kingsway rooms, thankfully more than 50% of the rooms either face the courtyard or East 10th Avenue with only 23 of the 69 rooms facing Kingsway.

Thank you, and we hope to see you again in the near future.