“Great Hotel and City!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fairmont Waterfront

Save Saved
You added Fairmont Waterfront to your Saves list
Fairmont Waterfront
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   900 Canada Place Way, Vancouver, British Columbia V6C 3L5, Canada (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save 20% on Room & Dining
Ranked #11 of 97 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Moneta, Virginia
“Great Hotel and City!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

My wife and I traveled to Vancouver in September of 2012 and stayed at the Fairmont Waterfront. It was wonderful. The staff was kind and helpful and our room was one of the nicest we have ever stayed in. The hotel has wonderful amenities, the restaurant had great food and drinks and you have just a wonderful view of the harbour. You can leave the hotel, cross the street and be at the very begining of the greenway that leads to the Seawall around Stanely Park. The hotel provided my wife and I with bikes and helmets and we spent an endless amount of time exploring the park and areas of the city. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Vancouver. And I would highly recommend that you add Vancouver to your list of places to visit. The city is beautiful, clean and the people are friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
WaterfrontVancouver, General Manager at Fairmont Waterfront, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear Guest, Thank you so much for such a glowing review of The Fairmont Waterfront for Tripadvisor. I was thrilled to read that you enjoyed our great location and view of the harbour – I agree that a trip to the Stanley Park along the seawall is a Vancouver ‘must-do’ and I am so glad you were able to explore it on the hotel bikes. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us, I do hope we get the chance to welcome you back on your next visit to beautiful Vancouver. If I can ever be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 604-691-1892 or ian.pullan@fairmont.com. Sincerely, Ian Pullan, General Manager, The Fairmont Waterfront

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Vancouver Island, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Stayed here Nov 26 when in town for Sprinsteen concert. When I pulled up in my large wheelchair accessible van, the 2 valets out front initially ignored me. Perhaps they were uncomfortable seeing someone in a wheelchair be unloaded?
When I was dropping the van lift, I commented to my son that we were being ignored, a third valet overheard and came right over. He was pleasant, asked if we were checking in; ? why else would I be unloading there???
From this point on the stay was great, reception/check in very pleasant, confirmed my request for 2 oversized beds in a view room.
The room was nice, fabulous view of the inner harbour. However the oversized beds were doubles. Although disappointed that we didn't have queen beds, we were happy with the room and service.
The heat was very difficult to regulate, thermostat said 25 but the room was cold until late evening, slight dark staining on the ceiling from the heating fan.
The location of this hotel is great, right next to Gastown and the Skytrain station.
Pleasant staff and good experience once we got past the initial discomfort with staffs inexperience with my son in his wheelchair.
I would stay here again for the Fairmont service and location in the heart of the city.

Room Tip: specify queen or king bed to avoid getting a double.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
WaterfrontVancouver, General Manager at Fairmont Waterfront, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel for TripAdvisor. Though I was pleased to see that overall you enjoyed your stay with us, I was very disheartened to read your comments regarding your initial experience upon arrival - this is definitely not the level of service we strive to provide and I sincerely apologize that we in any way made you or your son feel ignored or uncomfortable. Please know that I have reviewed your comments personally with the Bell team to ensure that this doesn’t happen moving forward. I appreciate your feedback regarding the heating and have asked our Engineering team to investigate. Please contact me directly at 604-691-1892 or ian.pullan@fairmont.com prior to your next visit to Vancouver as I would like to personally coordinate your stay. My apologies again to both you and your son and I do hope that the Springsteen concert was fantastic. Sincerely, Ian Pullan, General Manager
Thunder Bay, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

So I travel 50-80 days a year for work, and have stayed at a Fairmont often when possible. My brother worked for Fairmont Lake Louise as a chef for a period of time, so I do have a strong affinity for the brand.

This week I came to the Waterfront on a five day business trip to attend a conference held across the street. Initially, I arrived to my room at the equivalent of 10pm my local time after flying for the majority of my day. I was exhausted, flopped down and went right to sleep. I awoke, showered and shaved, and dashed off to the conference. I did not return until that evening.

I am not going to detail what happened that night made me voice some concerns, although I had planned to prior to this evening. Suffice it to say that my room was not up to par.

However, specifically James Southam (Assistant Front Office Manager) has made my review go from 1/5 to 5/5 with his actions. When I voiced my concerns he had me in new accommodations within a half hour. This alone was not going to make me change my view, as it would have been something done by any hotel. However, the follow up call I received less than an hour ago, along with a written apology note (along with some small accouterments) has made me change my opinion.

I feel the thing that is lacking in hospitality is the follow-through when there is a concern. Any hotel can give lip-service and jostle some rooms around. The follow up call and apology note made me feel that raising my concerns was actually taken seriously, as opposed to brushed under the rug.

Actual Review:
GO TO THE FITNESS FACILITIES!!! - The eucalyptus infused steam room is outstanding. That alone made my trip. Could use some slightly higher weighted dumbbells, but I'm a freak who actually enjoys strenuously 'working out' on the road.

On-site dining: Herons was exceptional, with prices in line with a luxury hotel. For budget minded, there is ready access to a miniature mall through the Concourse level complete with a food court with about 8-9 food venues.

Service: Outlined above, exceptional. Answering the phone calls to the front desk with your actual name is a nice touch.

Hint: Join the Fairmont President's Club prior to booking. Club members get benefits that include workout clothing and running shoes. Great when packing a bag on the light may be an issue.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest, Thank you so much for taking the time to complete such a thorough review of The Fairmont Waterfront. I was happy to read that James was quickly able to address your initial concerns and that you were happy with your overall stay - I will be sure to share your kind comments with him personally. I appreciate your feedback with regards to the weights in the health club - we will be renovating our health club space later this year and will definitely keep your suggestion in mind. Thank you again for choosing to stay at The Fairmont Waterfront and I look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to our beautiful city. Warm regards, Ian Pullan, General Manager
Maple Ridge, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Stayed there for my birthday and when we returned from dinner there was a nice dessert plate in our room with a birthday card. The hotel drove us in their comfortable BMW to the restaurant which was not just around the corner. Very nice room, I enjoy staying at Fairmont hotels because of the service.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to complete a TripAdvisor review of The Fairmont Waterfront. I am so glad we were able to be a small part of what I hope was a very joyous birthday celebration. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and I look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future. Warm regards, Ian Pullan, General Manager
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Stayed for 6 nights at the end of Nov. 2012.
I did not use the reception staff as I had pre checked in and when my taxi pulls up, the Bellman has my key ready for me and greets me by name. That was a first for me. Amazing. The bellman staff and concierge were friendly and courteous.
The room was 4.5 star, spacious, tidy and modern with all the comforts of a 5 star hotel. Floor to ceiling window. I had paid slightly extra for a Deluxe room with harbor view but got an obstructed view of the harbor and mountains due to the skyscraper of the pan pacific hotel in front of my room. Apparently I needed to ask for a Stanley park views at no extra cost. I was not told that at reservation.
Bathroom was 4 star as it lacked a separate shower which I prefer however it was clean and functional with 5 star LE LABO bathroom amenities.
The hotel has a lovely outdoor heated 3rd floor roof pool(there are 23 floors). Very airy GYM and indoor hot tub.
I did not use the restaurant but it looked modern and bright. The breakfast was $27 and brunch $44. Too much food for me, however my meals were included at the conference that I attended.
Below the hotel and connected through an escalator is a food court with 12 eateries open till 9pm. Including Tim Horton/McDonalds/Subway/Starbucks etc.
The Location is excellent in downtown at the waterfront. In front of Canada place (where the Alaska cruise ships dock) and convention centre. It is connected to the waterfront airport sky train station and Seabus station. Only 3 blocks from the charming Gastown neighborhood. It is an easy 4 blocks walking to a large mall. 8 blocks to a large cinema. 8 blocks to Chinatown. About 12 blocks from BC place and GM place for sporting events.
The hotel is surrounded by excellent restaurants within walking distance.
The taxi ride from the airport YVR cost $40 including tip despite numerous green traffic lights and sparse traffic. If you have manageable luggage then take the Canada line train/subway to waterfront station 2 blocks away and connected to the hotel with a walkway.
The bus&trolley hop on hop off tours leave from in front of the hotel. All the other tour companies will pick up from the lobby.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with Stanley park view for unobstructed views.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
WaterfrontVancouver, General Manager at Fairmont Waterfront, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Guest, I would like to thank you taking the time to complete such a thorough review of The Fairmont Waterfront, I am so glad that you enjoyed your extended stay with us. I agree that Vancouver is such a walk-able city - we like to think of our location as the best address in the city, so it was great to hear your feedback confirm this. Our colleagues strive to provide outstanding service and I will take great pleasure is sharing your kind words with the bellmen and the entire Fairmont Waterfront team. You may be interested to know that we will be undergoing renovations of several floors of the hotel shortly, which will include remodeling our bathrooms with separate glassed-in showers as you suggested. Thank you again for selecting The Fairmont Waterfront, I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back on your next visit to our beautiful city, and if I can ever be of assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 604-691-1892 or ian.pullan@fairmont.com. Warm regards, Ian Pullan, General Manager
Powell River, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Amazing. I checked in and my room wasn't quite ready, so the very pleasant staff told me that she was putting me in a room that would "make my eyes pop". I was given the Royal Suite ... 2000 sq. feet of .... wow! From double door entry into a foyer to a full kitchen, full dining room with table for eight and a living room with a 50" LCD TV. Upstairs, up a stair case with brass railings had two full bedrooms.
Ok, this was way more than I needed for a one night business stay but I was impressed by the setting and the pleasantness of the staff.
The President's Club membership, free if you sign up, is worth doing to give you access to free internet and an option of having gym clothing and gym shoes (? how do they do this? ...) provided for your use in the gym should you need them.
I didn't use the restaurant but it looked impressive. The location is beautiful and my room(s) had views of North Vancouver and the water. The hotel is across the street from the Vancouver Convention Centre.

Congradulations Fairmont, you went above and beyond and made a great impression!

Room Tip: :) Ask to be upgraded to the Royal Suite!! (I think that I just got lucky!)
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest, I was thrilled to read that you had the opportunity to experience our Royal Suite, it truly is the best room in the house. We understand that our guests’ travel plans don’t always align with hotel check-in times so we are committed to ensuring guests get access to their guest room as quickly as possible. As for the gym attire, it is part of our Fairmont Fit program where we have a large selection of Reebok gear in all sizes to provide our Fairmont President’s Club members who would prefer to travel without their runners. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us, I do hope we get the chance to welcome you back on your next visit to our beautiful city, so that we can show you that our ‘royal treatment’ is not reserved for guests staying in the Royal Suite! Warm regards, Ian Pullan, General Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

My wife and I spent a terrific Thanksgiving Day weekend in Vancouver at this hotel. Upon check in the staff was friendly and professional. Employees had crisp, classic hotel uniforms which we liked and added an old school feel to this modern hotel. We reserved a corner room on the 14th floor. The views of the harbor were INCREDIBLE. We could see across the bay to the northern mountains and Stanley Park. We spent time watching the boats, seaplanes, and pedestrians do their thing. It was really cool. The hotel is in a great location, only a few blocks from many restaurants and pubs. The room was clean and well attended. The bell staff were helpful and friendly. We checked out using a few gift cards obtained through a credit card company. We had no issue with using the cards as was the case with some other reviews. We had a great experience and would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — Location and view
  • Disliked — A bit pricey
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dear Guest, Thank you for letting The Fairmont Waterfront be part of your Thanksgiving weekend; I am so glad that you enjoyed your time with us. I do hope you had the opportunity to go out and explore our beautiful city - you may be interested to know that the hotel has complimentary bikes available which are fantastic for exploring Stanley Park and the Seawall. Thank you again for choosing to stay at The Fairmont Waterfront, please know our colleagues take pride in providing outstanding service and I will take great pleasure in sharing your kind comments with the entire team. Warmest regards, Ian Pullan, General Manager

Been to Fairmont Waterfront? Share your experiences!