“A great find and an excellent value” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Victorian Hotel

You added Victorian Hotel to your Saves list
Victorian Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   514 Homer Street, Vancouver, British Columbia V6B 2V6, Canada   |
Offers & Announcements
BOOK DIRECT 4 BEST RATES
Ranked #48 of 96 Hotels in Vancouver
A TripAdvisor Member
“A great find and an excellent value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2006

The Victorian Hotel is a European-style pension in a slightly-worn but clean and charming historic building. Some rooms have their own bathrooms, while others have a sink in the room and have shared washrooms down the hall. We had a room with a shared bathroom and never found it occupied when we wanted to use it. A continental breakfast of muffins, fruit, toast, yogurt, coffee, and juice is included with the cost of the room, and the food was of fine quality. The King rooms with Bay Window had huge windows that allowed in lots of natural light, and the street they face is fairly quiet, so noise was not an issue. The front desk staff were also helpful in directing us to local attractions.

The hotel is centrally located, and it is only a 5-10 minute walk to Yaletown, Gastown, Chinatown, and the Robson Street shopping district. It is a slightly longer (10-15 minute) walk to the west end, and it's an easy connection to major bus lines and the Skytrain. The neighborhood is safe, and we felt completely comfortable walking around late at night. Some reviews paint a picture of junkies shooting up all over the place, which we didn't find to be accurate.

All in all, we found the Victorian to be far more charming, pleasant, and inexpensive (we paid only $69 Can / night for two people) than bland major chain hotels. On the other hand, if you are uncomfortable sharing a bathroom, fearful of walking in a neighborhood that has occasional bits of graffiti and the odd homeless person, or in need of a fawning, obsequious hotel staff, then a major chain hotel might be a better choice for you.

Stayed April 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2005

I stayed 1 night in a bay window room with king bed and shared hall bathroom. I picked this hotel because it is close to the Queen Elizabeth Theatre, Gastown and Chinatown. The hotel is very similar to pensions you find in Europe, except much higher quality for the price. My room was decent sized, with a very comfortable bed, high quality linens, a large (but old) armoire, a very nice pedestal sink and mirror, and a closet. The hotel is a renovated Victorian building, so there are nice original hardwood floors and high ceilings (but no AC as far as I could tell), and the owners have kept the Victorian flavor in the renovation and decor. There are 2 bathrooms and a half-bath per floor; I never had to wait, although I went in late October. A continental breakfast (muffins, bread, jam, OJ, coffee) is served in the lobby. There is offstreet parking in a locked, gated lot behind the hotel, on a first-come basis ($10 CAD per night). The hotel was a steal at $49 CAD a night (special internet winter rate), with much more character and charm than hotels charging 5-10 times as much. The only caveat is that it is not in a great part of town. The immediate vicinity is ok if a little deserted at night, but the area a few blocks north and east (between Gastown and Chinatown) is full of vagrants...

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
Stone Lake, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2005

We recently stayed at the Victorian Hotel. It is in the process of being remodeled. Our room had been upgraded and was very comfortable. One should know that getting to our room required a lengthy walk plus stairs so anyone with difficulty walking would probably not find this hotel to their liking. It was very conveniently located; we parked our car in the hotel lot and walked all over. It is in a noisy area of town-especially on a Saturday night in the summer! Good value-very clean.

• Stayed August 2005
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2005

Overall I would rate my experience as good. The hotel is centrally located, while not in the best of neighborhoods, it is certainly not in the worst. The room was confortable and the high speed internet connection was an unexpected bonus! My only complaint was that I stayed in a room without a washroom, and there were not as many hall washrooms per floor as stated on the website. One washroom on each floor was for females only, one was just a half bath, one was reserved for a particular room, and then one anyone could use. Most of the time I would go to take a shower the washroom would already been in use. I would have to go use one on another floor which was a bit of a pain. This could be a bit of a problem if you are in a rush in the morning. I am not sure why the one washroom is reserved for females only given that the washrooms are completely private. Overall good value for the price I spent.

• Stayed August 2005
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2005

I stayed for a total of 6 nights in this hotel. I stayed for 4 nights, check out and check in again for another 2 nights. The staff are very warm, friendly and helpful. The 2 staff are a lady, Cecilia and a man who I do not get to know his name.

On my first check in, the staff help me to bring my luggage to my room. Its a long way in with stairs to climb up and down. When I offered a tip for him, he would not want to accept it. I am surprised. When I do my first check out, I intend to leave my luggage with the hotel, as I will be checking in again. The staff immediately helped to put my luggage in the basement which reassured me that they were kept properly. On my second check in, the staff even offered to make a cup of hot tea for me. I do not need it. But wow, was I touched....especially when you are alone overseas.

The hotel's location is great too.. Its just a stone's throw away to Canada Place, Gastown and Robson St. Also, if you need to go to Stanley Park, there's a direct bus just the corner from Pender St. In addition, the breakfast is great too.

I will stay in this hotel again if I will come to Vancouver again.

• Stayed June 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2005

Location okay but we found the staff unhelpful and unfriendly and we were woken up very early in the morning by the noise.

Stayed May 2005

Been to Victorian Hotel? Share your experiences!