“Nice place to call home” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Victorian Hotel

You added Victorian Hotel to your Saves list
Victorian Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   514 Homer Street, Vancouver, British Columbia V6B 2V6, Canada   |
Ranked #53 of 96 Hotels in Vancouver
Boston, Massachusetts
“Nice place to call home”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

We stayed for four nights in late August 2012. We arrived by taxi from the Port - after taking the ferry from Victoria. The taxi ride was $95. Expensive.

We arrive at 11:00 AM and the room was ready. Clean, large and very nice. We had a deluxe King room on the second floor - facing the back. The bathroom was beautiful - very European - marble and the bathtub/shower was separate from the sink area. Nice feature.

The windows were big and provided fresh air - which we appreciated since there is no air conditioning. They did however place a fan in the room - but as it was very warm during the day, the room was at times a bit warm.

The bed was comfortable, the TV plasma, and the wood floors and antique touches made it seem very Victorian indeed.

The staff at the desk was helpful and kind. We rented bikes from the hotel to ride around Stanley Park and around the city one evening. This was a great help - no need to go to an outside vendor and return the bikes to a location away from our final destination.

The breakfast was excellent - fresh berries, yogurt, chocolate croissant and cold cereal was available each day. The coffee was a bit weak - but good.

All in all - the location is wonderful - one block from Gastown, two blocks from the water and lots of good restaurants near by.

I would definitely recommend this place and stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear Matravel, thank you so much for your review. We really appreciate your kind words and for you taking the time to write us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

A friend recommended this place to me and I am only sorry that we could not stay longer. As the name suggests, a Victorian building and furnished accordingly. Very convenient location, clean and pleasant. The rates include breakfast and wifi - both becoming a rarity in other hotels. The staff member at the front desk helpful and pleasant. The rooms are not large and there is no fridge in the room - neither a problem for a short stay.
The previous week I stayed at a high rise hotel at the other end of town for about the same rate (no rooms available in The Victorian for that week) and it was far less pleasant. I would happily return if ever I am in Vancouver again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Atang 2048, we are so happy you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to having you back.
Las Vegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

From the moment my wife and I checked into this charming, busy hotel we felt at home. This is not your standard cookie cutter franchise. We were warmly welcomed when we arrived and got a genuine positive vibe from the other guests. Our room was a pleasure to be in and the bed and bedding was over the top. We got friendly and professional help with directions at the front desk and made the easy walk to a great restaurant 3 blocks away. The location is ideal for seeing the city. Our two day stay here was the perfect and I am looking forward to my next trip back.

Room Tip: Hard to find a bad room here
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
St. John's, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

You will not find a friendlier place to stay in Vancouver than the Victorian Hotel. I've been there twice and will continue to do so. It's cozy and just minutes away from Robson Street. The rooms are great and clean and the hotel is very well kept. Personnel is what is really special there. I stayed there with my two boys (one of them is a baby). The manager was very helpful and professional, and she will help you plan your stay whether it is asking directions or suggesting things to do. Coming from Montreal, it was a great surprise to know she speaks French. When we arrived, a crib was awaiting in the room, and she greeted us with a warm smile, and you immediately feel home. Expect to be treated good there. You will enjoy your stay and will want to come back to say hello!

Room Tip: Our room was in front of the reception, and it turned out great because we could just open the door...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Hudson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Very Special

My favorite place to stay in Vancouver is The Victorian Hotel. This little gem, right downtown has always felt like home. Always one of the best values regardless when I come, I stayed in one of the smaller rooms this time but I’ve also been in the deluxe rooms before and I have never been let down. There is a really cool feel to this place and for me, the location is perfect. Great restaurants close by in both Gastown and Yaletown
areas.

Miami Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

With the name, "Victorian Hotel," one might assume a very historic and charming hotel full of character and elegance. Unfortunately, this one *is* of 'character' - of an old and uncharming kind.

We found this hotel via Fodor's - which will be last time I'm going to book a hotel based on their recommendation. We paid $119/night for our rooms (despite the posted rack rate of $109/night) - but upon entering our hotel room, I immediately asked if I could get a refund because:

- Throughout the hotel, there was a strong unpleasant smell (I'm assuming it was coming from the drainages of the sinks within each of the guest rooms),
- The hotel carpet was badly worn, t
- The front desk receptionist was cold and unwelcoming,
- Our original room was TINY - barely fitting two double beds, had no AC - just a fan that was barely circulating the air, white comforters/sheets that were no longer white, and a window without a window (yes, I kid you not, our room was missing its window!).

Given all of these items were noted within 5 minutes of us checking in, I'd assume that the receptionist would understand why we would want a refund. But alas, she made it very clear that there were NO refunds allowed...so she gave us another room, this time with a king size bed - which was better than the old room, but still not worth the price we paid.

The hotel badly need some TLC - i.e., grades and attention to detail. The hotel had very worn, second hand, odd mix-match of furniture. Breakfast was horrendous - 3-day old, stale chocolate croissants, plates that looked dirty, and costco size open containers of yogurt, jam, etc. - unappetizing and unsanitary. The common bathroom never seem to have enough clean hand towels, floors were consistently wet, and bathroom products that were cheap (be prepared to make one bathroom soap last throughout your stay.) They dont even have a standard 'do not disturb sign' - which I had to make on my own. It's conveniently located across the salvation army and by the edge of the bad part of town - making homeless folks a common sight (just outside your window). The place is unkempt - grime surrounding the bathroom fixtures, thrash underneath the bed from the previous hotel guest, and dust on the fixtures.

The whole experience was more similar to staying to a hostel than a hotel. A stay at a Holiday Inn or other motel would be better than this. For $50 more, you could book a nice stay at a Westin/others - it'd be better than this place in terms of value. Wish I did stay somewhere else as our stay here soured our whole Vancouver trip.

Room Tip: Second floor is the best....but that's not dying much.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Dear Genevieve, in the realm of service missteps, our handling of your reservation was off the cliff, starting with placing you in a room which should have been out of order. On behalf of the hotel I sincerely apologize to you for this.
Over 95 percent of our guests recommend our property. However, the moment our staff was made aware of your wishes not stay with us, we should have immediately assisted you in finding an alternative hotel. We dropped the ball and you had every right to be upset. I have sent you a personal e-mail to deal with this further, and again I extend to you my deep felt apology.
St Thomas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

This is a charming, old world style hotel with hardwood floors, antique furniture, and, well, other Victorian features! The included breakfast is awesome, with own-recipe granola, fresh yoghurt, chocolate croissants, terrific coffee! And minutes from Gastown. But what impressed me the most is the lack of plastic: the breakfast is served using real plates & cutlery, the bathroom has shampoo dispensers rather than the tiny placid wasteful bottles. Very environmentally conscious--thank you!

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Victorian Hotel? Share your experiences!