It's so hard to know where to start. Let's begin with the positives:
- The size of the suite
- The location of the suite
- Free parking on-site
- Coin-operated laundry on-site
Suites are large with a bedroom and separate living area, separate bathroom and a small kitchen.
Location is excellent on Robson Street with restaurants and shopping in every direction.
Free parking on-site was suitable and actually a perk during our disappointing stay.
And now for the negatives:
Absolutely everything else.
Literally, this place is a dump. I will not set foot in this place again. And it is a very expensive dump -- at 139 CAD per night, I was not expecting such a dirty, disgusting excuse for a 'hotel'. I documented with pictures some of what I am talking about -- I urge anyone who is thinking of staying here to look at those.
Here is the short list of the biggest problems we observed:
- Unclean: This place is just dirty. They do maid service every day, but some things (like the ancient, stained sofa) are stained brown with dirt and can't be cleaned. Plus . . . even things that are regularly cleaned like the bathroom and the bed linens always had hair left there by 'someone'. I can only assume it came from the maid . . . or someone else, who really nows. But the hairs found in our sheets and in our bathroom were medium-length black hairs. I don't have black hair. My husband doesn't have black hair.
- Poor Quality/Holes Everywhere: Everything was just literally covered in holes . . . the bedspread had a huge hole in it, the lamp shades have holes, the couch (which I would not be surprised is an original from the 60's) was dirty and full of holes in the upholstery, the curtains were full of holes . . . everything is just old and very, very badly maintained. The light in the kitchen also didn't work at all.
- Cost: Cost is not a problem if the quality is worth it, but with the above comments, I was sorely disappointed.
Other negatives, but less severe:
- Elevator: There are two elevators but suspiciously one of them never goes anywhere unless you tell it to go 'up' from inside the elevator. For a hotel with 12 floors and basically 1 working elevator (that is very slow), there was always a long wait for the elevator
- General Quality of Room: You can tell they tried to 'renovate', which means a shoddy wallpaper job and a dab of fresh paint, but the wallpaper is peeling in many places and the current state is of general low quality.
- Common Areas: The common areas (hallways, elevator, etc) are also stained and often dirty (trash on the floor, etc)
- Security w/ Luggage: If you ask to store your luggage, they will throw it in a pile near the desk and ask you to retrieve it when you get back -- no claim tag or anything to prevent someone from taking your bag.
- Kitchen: Kitchen was badly stocked (and the entire place was so unclean, I was really hesitant to use anything from the kitchen, so we tried to keep it simple). The freezer didn't actually freeze anything (not sure what was wrong, it was set to the coldest setting). The kitchen light didn't work at all. Coffee was not re-stocked after the first day.
- Wi-Fi: Wi-Fi is terrible (access point was barely reachable from our room on the 10th floor, and when it was connecting, the DNS server randomly worked)'
Overall, I will not step foot here again. There are several hotels within 2 blocks either direction of Robson Street -- look at one of those instead.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Tropicana Suite Hotel is located in the heart of Downtown Vancouver and in the middle of the lively Robson Street shopping and entertainment district within walking distance of all Downtown shopping, theatres, many excellent restaurants, cafes, English Bay and Stanley Park. All guest suites are one bedroom units featuring a living room with a sofa bed and kitchenette. Hotel facilities include an indoor heated pool, sauna, laundry facilities and limited complimentary guest parking.• View the majestic North Shore mountains• Ideally located in the heart of downtown Vancouver and the West End• 74 spacious one bedroom suites accommodating up to four adults• Easy walking distance of virtually everything• Heated indoor pool and sauna• Restaurants, shopping, theatres and parks just blocks away from hotel ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Despegar.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Tropicana Suite Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tropicana Motor Hotel Vancouver
- Tropicana Hotel Vancouver
- Tropicana Motel Vancouver