“A great hotel in a great location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Metropolitan Hotel Vancouver

You added Metropolitan Hotel Vancouver to your Saves list
Metropolitan Hotel Vancouver
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   645 Howe St., Vancouver, British Columbia V6C 2Y9, Canada (Downtown)   |
Hotel packages
Announcement
Mother's Day!
Ranked #22 of 96 Hotels in Vancouver
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“A great hotel in a great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2006

This hotel in in the centre of Vancouver, within walking distance to everything and still the room was very quiet (I can normally hear everything at night but not at this hotel).
I want to go back to Vancouver and I will not stay in any other hotel, I also plan to visit Toronto and because of this will also stay in the Metropolitan in Toronto.If you book this hotel you will not be disappointed as the room, location, service and whole feel is perfect, 5 Star for me.

• Liked — The location and the quality
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — We booked 3 nights and got the 4th free with breakfast.
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2006

Great hotel - fantastic rooms, very large. would definately stay again. However, beware - we booked a 'double' room through the airmiles web site. when we got there, the hotel's definition of 'double' is a 'twin' - two single beds. We had to pay an extra $10 CDN per night to 'upgrade' to a proper double (ie, one big bed)!. Airmiles refunded the difference, but I didnt think the hotel staff were very understanding of this - it was kind of 'well, thats what our doubles are... end of story'.

rooms are a little noisey - the insulation around the balcony door wasnt great - but it didnt keep us awake. i dont think even trpple glazing and the best fitting doors in the world would have kept out the noise of the Sun Run starting at 7.30am on the sunday morning we were there - or indeed the Pot Smoking festival on the day we arrived - but that was not the fault of the hotel.

overall, i would recommend this hotel. huge bathroom.

one other point - the parking is $25 CDN per day - not exactly cheap, but it seems fairly typical. there are lots of car parks near the hotel, but they dont advertise overnight rates - only 'earlybird' rates before 8am. factor this charge into the hotel price if you have a car to get a true reflection of the cost of the room. we booked early and got the room through airmiles for about fifty GBP plus parking - pretty damn good for the location, which is great!

Stayed April 2006
Regina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2006

I must say I have mixed feelings about the Metropolitan. I would like to leave a few points for future travelers:

I was traveling with two underage students. The hotel has adjoining rooms allowing for easier chaperoning. However, the fitness facilities are for ages sixteen and over. This is particularly upsetting since my students would have liked to make use of the facilities, and I work hard everyday to instill in my students the value of quality daily physical activity. It disturbs me to see blanket age discrimination especially when it comes to healthy wellbeing. I would much prefer a supervisory policy to their current one.

Not able to use the fitness equipment, we attempted to use the in-room gaming system. Whenever we tried to purchase a game to play, the screen would turn blue and return us to the main menu. The system didn’t work for us, but the front desk made sure we weren’t charged for any of it.

The hotel does offer internet. It’s not wireless in the rooms, and it costs about $10 a day. It is however free and wireless in the hotel lobby.

The concierge service was useful in helping us find our way to and from various tourism sites in the city. However, an error regarding the direct return bus (only travels in the mornings) could have cost us our flight home.

On the positive side, the rooms are really nice. The beds are soft, and the bathrooms are enormous. It is a very nice hotel, and the staff was very pleasant and accommodating. They have porters and bellmen to open doors for you and carry your luggage. Like many of the reviews here, I must agree that the front-desk staff is truly excellent. They checked regularly to see how we were enjoying our stay. I also observed many other guests checking out. It was obvious they enjoyed their say. We were able to drop our bags off before check in allowing us to tour around without our burdensome luggage.

The hotel is downtown and walking distance to many attractions. It’s about 30 minutes from the Airport, and 10 minutes from Stanley Park by taxi.

All in all, I would definitely return here for business or vacation with my wife, but not with children.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
Durham, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2006

Stayed at the Metropolitan for a week long conference in May. The hotel is conveniently located across the street from a shopping mall and a couple blocks from the Convention Center/Cruise Station. The rooms had a comfortable bed and high-quality linens. The bathrooms were large and had seperate showers and deep tubs. The hotel also has a small but well-equipped business office. There is no wireless internet, so remember to bring your ethernet cable. Also, enjoy the restaurant (Diva at the Met). The tasting menu was fabulous and the stilton cheesecake is one of the best desserts I have every had. Would definately consider staying here again!

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2006

The Metroplitan was our first stop on our trip to British Columbia. From the minute the taxi pulled up at the entrance, we were treated to the most attentive and friendly service.

The 16th floor room was spacious, stylishly appointed and very quiet. Complimentary continental breakfast in the Diva restaurant was excellent and again, excellent personalised service.

Location is superb, less than 5 minutes walk to Canada Place and although we didn't need to book anything via the Concierge, they were still enthusiatic in volunteering advice and personal recommendations.

This was a superb start to our holiday and we won't look any further when returning to Vancouver.

Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2006

My husband and I went there for our 1 year wedding anniversary and had the greatest time! We loved the comfortable bed and the big bathroom! The concierge took great care of us, making restaurant reservations, to booking trips to whistler and victoria! We loved it and we will stay there again next time we visit Vancouver!

• Stayed January 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2006

Just had a horrible experience and am upset I didn't know about Trip Advisor until I returned home. Was complaining to a neighbor who said she lives by the recommendations on Trip Advisor because they're from real people - not arrogant travel writers. My views on the Metropolitan hotel pretty much mirror the guest from New Hampshire that wrote in December. Very outdated furnishings, definitely smelly rooms & floors. Blake at the front desk was very pleasant and moved me twice without any problem. The bartender said the hotel used to be a Mandarin Oriental Hotel 10-15 years ago, but it doesn't look like a dime has been spent in it since then! Was in town for a convention at the Hotel Vancouver a few blocks away. It looks nice but is really old. Some friends that stayed there said it's quite stuffy & has small rooms & really small bathrooms. Now that I know about Trip Advisor, I'm going to use it ALL the time!

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business

Been to Metropolitan Hotel Vancouver? Share your experiences!