“GREAT location. Cute, modern, minibar, comfy bed. It was perfect for a night out in Vancouver.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Moda Hotel

You added Moda Hotel to your Saves list
Moda Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   900 Seymour Street, Vancouver, British Columbia V6B 3L9, Canada (Downtown)   |
Ranked #66 of 96 Hotels in Vancouver
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2011

The room was in a great location. We were able to walk all over the city. The bed was really comfy - the soap in the room was fabulous. If they had room service, it would have been perfect. This hotel would not be good if you want peace and quiet. At about 3AM, there was a "drunk driver" bust right outside of our window. We had just gotten home ourselves (walking, not driving!), and it was pure entertainment to watch. I probably would have been annoyed if I had been sleeping, but it was a great place to crash if you want to go out in downtown Vancouver.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

After reading all of the negative reviews about the loud noise, my wife and I took a gamble with this place. We honestly were sold with the special package for Washington state residents ($99/night with free parking in a secure, gated garage...not bad!). We were reassured by the staff that sound proofing would be completed by the time of our arrival. Regardless, we packed our ear plugs just to be safe.

I have to say, we were pleasantly surprised. We were in a corner room on the third floor. The street noise was barely audible. You do get some noise from the hallway, but it was mostly negligible. The room was clean and well decorated. The bed was nice and firm with comfy pillows. The sheets were a bit stiff, but we got used to them pretty quickly. The bathroom was well stocked with Skoah products, a local (~5-7 min walk) Vancouver body care shop. A DVD player would be a nice touch. I also wish there was a micro/fridge combo for all of our wonderful leftovers.

The staff was pleasant and very accommodating. They gladly held our bags and extended our free parking for several more hours after check out. Big brownie points in my opinion.

The location can't be beat. You are in very close proximity to any number of bars, clubs, shops, and restaurants. We took a few Frommer walking tours and they all started within a few blocks from the hotel. Don't bother with the overpriced restaurants located on the street level of the hotel. There are much better places nearby.

Next time we're in Vancouver, we'll definitely consider staying here again. Bravo, Moda Hotel!

Room Tip: ask for a corner room...better ambient light
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Issaquah, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

This hotel has a good location, right by all the bars on Granville, but the staff gave me the creeps. After a night at the bars, myself, my girlfriend and our two friends came back to the room to hang out and wind down before bed. AS SOON as we got in the room (around 12:30am) we got a call from the front desk, who had watched us enter the room via the many cameras they have, and called to inform us (in a very stern parent to child tone) that an extra guest is $20 per night. Maybe I'm crazy, but I think that is a bit big-brother-ish. Our guests thought it was odd too.
Either way, the room was incredibly small. Next time I will stay elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Tauranga, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2011

We arrived in Vancouver on a 6am flight on a cold and wet morning. The staff were friendly and helpful, we were advised to go for breakfast on arrival and that we would be able to check in early on our return if a room was available (which was about 9.30am so very accommodating of them!). The room was tidy, cozy and modern. Only thing not available was an in room safe. We were given a room at the back of the hotel which was nice and quiet. Moda is on the same block as a supermarket and starbucks, walking distance to local shopping and public transport in the area.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2011

Hotel moda is a older hotel that has been updated. The price points are un-beatable for downtown and it is clean. The hotel tends to be louder as it is so old, so if you are a light sleeper its better to stay elsewhere. The Skoah products in the bathroom are great!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Seattle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

Trendy, affordable and wonderfully located describe the Moda Hotel. The one problem (and it’s huge) is the noise. The building is not well insulated and you can hear virtually every noise from outside, other rooms and the hallways. We stayed two nights and the first night we were awoken at around 1 am by what sounded like a rowdy group of bachelorettes in the hallway outside our door, yelling for about a half hour. At 2 am and then again at 3 am, we could clearly hear the obnoxious conversations from the people down below on the street. Also around 6 am (the second morning) the maids started cleaning the rooms surrounding us. In total both nights we probably got six hours of sleep. If you are in serious party mode this is the place for you!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

When I made my reservation at the hotel I wrote in the comment box (which i did see written on the registration card) that I would be checking in at 2:30pm a mere half hour before check-in... Well I arrived as I thought at 2:30pm and the lady at the desk informed me my room was not ready and the housekeeper just went up to clean my room due to a late check-out. She was very friendly and very nice. She took me up to a different suite which was inside the hotel (I had booked the room I booked because it was in a building across the street and I like not feeling like i am in a hotel). The was very nice and it was a good enough size considering I was by myself. When we arrived on the floor I was on there was plastic on the floor and other construction materials. She told me they would have it all cleaned up and nothing will happen on the weekend. They did clean everything up except for the plastic and some mattress' and stuff on the other side of the hallway. It never really affected my stay though... just pure vanity factor considering the price you pay you would expect it to present a little better. My room was nice and the bathroom was amazing and the bed was extremely comfortable. The only thing I have to complain about the room was the fact it did not smell very nice at all... It kind of had a cat litter smell or something and I opened the window before I invited friends over before a night of going out because it was kind of embarrassing. But it was not a nauseating make me complain, and cause a scene type of thing. You can tell it was just because the building is old and probably didn't help with all the renovations going on in the other rooms on the floor.

Because the hotel is old the walls and floors are very thin. I never had issues myself because I was on the top floor but I did receive a phone call from a noise complaint because I guess my friends and I were to loud hanging out and chatting in my living room before we left for the night.

When I came back from a wonderful night out my two friends came back with me to wait for their ride. The lobby door was locked and the guy at the door was very slow at opening them and it was very cold outside. We started walking up the stairs and he informed me that the hotel does not allow guests in my room because I only have one bed. I had never heard of this before... I work in a hotel and we don't have such rules. So I questioned it and he got very rude. He started to get angry and say they had to wait outside because they aren't guests of the hotel. I informed him... I am a paying guest of this hotel and the fact of how he is treating me was very rude I haven't encountered such rudeness. He continued to repeat himself saying my bedroom only has one bed so im only aloud one extra person. I told him they arent staying the night but their ride isn't expected for awhile because we left earlier than what we thought and they have to use the bathroom and such and didn't want to sit in the lobby. He continued to be very rude and "called the police" and threatened to kick me out because I was not going to my room and because they were not leaving the lobby. I found this very shocking and very rude because working in a hotel myself I don't like dealing with this kind of stuff at other hotels because I know what it is like but he just continued to pick a fight. I asked for his name so I could talk to someone in the morning and he said it doesn't matter what my name is sir because it won't matter. At this point I was getting extremely angry so I gave my friends money to take a cab home and I went up to my room.

Even though I had this unfortunate event I would stay here again. The location was wonderful and the rooms are great. I never even had to take a cab to the hotel as there is a sky-train from the airport directly there with only a blocks walk. I did take a cab to the airport as I was running behind and it cost me $30.00. If you do stay here I would suggest staying in a Moda Suite as that is the one I stayed in and I saw into other rooms and they are way to small for the cost and for the mere 20.00 difference or whatever the money is worth it. Their symphony vita suites are across the road in a apartment building and they have a cocktail area. If you don't want the trouble of a vacation rental but still want to be segregated I'd stay there. Though they must be limited on them because I was not able to stay in the one I booked. Overall I was very happy with my hotel. It is good distance to shopping, transit, and nightlife.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo

Been to Moda Hotel? Share your experiences!