“great budget hotel in bad neighborhood” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Budget Inn Patricia Hotel

You added Budget Inn Patricia Hotel to your Saves list
Budget Inn Patricia Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   403 East Hastings, Vancouver, British Columbia V6A 1P6, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #68 of 96 Hotels in Vancouver
new orleans
“great budget hotel in bad neighborhood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2007

Yes, the hotel locates at poor neighborhood. But the hotel per se is pretty good and safe for a budget inn. Actually this hotel is listed with other major hotels by the vancouver tourism map. Plus, staff members in this hotel are very freindly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2007

I was assured by telephone that the hotel was basic but clean but that it was a fair walk from the centre of downtown Vancouver and that it was in close proximity to china Town. This is a very accurate
description. However, on arrival, the sight of so many drug addicts, prostitutes and other poor members of society in the immediate area was very upsetting and intimidating. Needless to say I did not linger
and found alternative accommodation ASAP.

• Liked — clean
  • Disliked — very undesirable location
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
nowhere
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2007

Hi, I've stayed several times in the last few months and will probably stay there again. It's a budget hotel, hard to beat the price ($39 CAD in low season), especially for the single traveler. The hotel is clean but can be shabby -- especially the really budget rooms I'd ask for. The area is rough -- due west on Hastings is a very seedy part of town for drug dealers/prostitutes, etc. I've never had a problem, but I'm a big guy, and I also never walked around there after dark (except to the little Vietnamese cafe across the street). If dodgy areas or street people put you off at all, this is not the place for you. It is easy walking distance to Chinatown (I was there over Lunar New Year last year) or Gastown, & I'd never worry about or think twice about walking in day time. Right on a main bus line that takes you into the central downtown, Gastown if you don't want to walk, or out east to Commercial Drive. Parking fee in the lot next door was nominal, I think $2/day, & I think free on the side streets (tho I'm not sure I'd trust my car on the streets away from the main drag given the population around there). Don't know about car break-ins, first time I asked to make sure my car would be safe & they assured me it would be. I've had my car there 3 times & no problem. I've found the staff to be friendly and informative, & they have take out menus of area restaurants that will deliver. Pub next door brews its own beer on premises & it's pretty good, I would stop back for a beer even if I don't end up staying there again. They have general pub fare that isn't bad, but they stop serving food at 8 pm. All in all, you get what you pay for, and how long do you stay in a hotel room when on vacation, anyway, is my philosophy. AC & TV w/ cable in all the rooms I've been in.

• Liked — Price & on main bus lines
  • Disliked — No real amenities like wifi, internet access, or any frills of other hotels in 3 or 4 start range
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2006

When I arrived in Vancouver from Ireland I took a cab to the Patricia, the driver told me to 'be careful' in the area around the hotel. On arrival I have to say that the area is an eye-opener, there are a lot of drug addicts and unsavoury characters about so I would aviod walking and take a cab to and from the hotel into the city centre. The hotel itself was budget accommodation that was reasonably clean and quiet. I found the staff were informative and courteous and find that some of the reviews reflect the area moreso than the hotel so I don't think its fair to criticise the staff. If you are on a tight budget and not fussy then it can be 'an experience'. Maybe avoid the bar and parking outside.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Local area causes concern
  • Stayed June 2004, traveled solo
Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2006

This hotel is in the worst location in downtown Vancouver. It is the wrong side of Main Street with drugs and homeless people a plenty. The hotel is satisfactory but it is old. The rooms are very small with " bathroom" in one corner.

The only good thing about this hotel is price. I will not stay there again.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2006

I am a photojournalist who averages 10 to 15 visits yearly to BC to cover sporting events and shoot with BC-based athletes. Because of this, I have a long list of accommodations available to me throughout the province. But this Labour Day weekend, my plans changed suddenly, and I was forced to find a hotel in Vancouver for Saturday night with virtually no notice. None of my usual spots had rooms available. So I started researching possibilities. My usual accommodations, even though they're in lovely neighbourhoods like Kits, and have hot tubs, great breakfasts and safe, comfortable, clean rooms, usually run me $60-$80 nightly. So when other B&Bs and hotels in the core area were quoting $150+ nightly, I started expanding my scope. I checked out the TripAdvisor reviews for the Patricia, and was concerned that many were negative.

But the provincial tourism agency told me that there were "some" homeless people in the area, and while I wouldn't want to hang out in that part of town, that I should be fine.

That was the worst travel advice I have ever received. When I drove from Lion's Gate into Gastown, I expected to find the hotel soon, as it was advertised to be "steps" from Gastown. Not only was it not near Gastown, it was significantly east of Chinatown - in the one area of Vancouver that concerns me, an urban-dwelling journalist who has ventured with minimal worries, late at night, through tough areas of NYC, London, LA and Bangkok. Driving through the area where the Patricia is located requires constant attention to avoid running over crackheads and tweakers who stumble unexpectedly across the street. Regrettably, I did not recognize the neighbourhood from the address. When I pulled into the lot next door to the hotel, I prayed that they had another parking facility, as the parking had been advertised as "secure" with video cameras. Unfortunately, that was not the case. In reality, it was an open lot with sketchy individuals everywhere. As best as I can tell, the only benefit of the cameras would be for the police to review crimes that had already been committed.

There is a huge difference between "homeless" individuals who may or may not be dangerous versus crack and meth addicts who are universally known as likely candidates to be thieves stealing to feed their habits.

Furthermore, when I mentioned my concern about the parking and about the spotty locks on the rooms, the front desk clerk huffed at me that "no one would break into my room." Well, given that he was in the back of the front desk area, out of sight of anyone entering the lobby or going up the elevator, I was not so confident. And I really didn't want to mention that I was concerned because I had $10K of very-portable camera gear with me.

Beyond that, my "non-smoking" room reeked of smoke. Though, in fairness, it seemed clean if a bit ratty.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Wretched neighbourhood
  • Tips/Secrets — A hostel with bunk beds is a better choice
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2006

The price was okay...under $100/night but for the same price we could of stayed somewhere more centrally located. I don't recommend staying here if you're a single woman traveling alone. The rooms were clean but the neighborhood is not safe at night. There were drug addicts, prostitutes and drunks wandering around. It's close to Chinatown (which is nothing spectacular) but a bit of a walk to everywhere else. Luckily we had rented a car (parking available onsite). We passed the gastown hostel and regretted not staying there instead.

• Disliked — location
  • Tips/Secrets — Do your research before you book
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Budget Inn Patricia Hotel? Share your experiences!