“You can do better than this one...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Budget Inn Patricia Hotel

Save Saved
You added Budget Inn Patricia Hotel to your Saves list
Budget Inn Patricia Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   403 East Hastings, Vancouver, British Columbia V6A 1P6, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #68 of 97 hotels in Vancouver
Seattle, Washington
“You can do better than this one...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2006

The price was okay...under $100/night but for the same price we could of stayed somewhere more centrally located. I don't recommend staying here if you're a single woman traveling alone. The rooms were clean but the neighborhood is not safe at night. There were drug addicts, prostitutes and drunks wandering around. It's close to Chinatown (which is nothing spectacular) but a bit of a walk to everywhere else. Luckily we had rented a car (parking available onsite). We passed the gastown hostel and regretted not staying there instead.

• Disliked — location
  • Tips/Secrets — Do your research before you book
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

300 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2006

the rooms were okay, and the hotel was nice and clean, but the neighborhood is one of the worst i've seen, and i've been all over seattle, southern california and new york city. People shooting up on the streets, public urination in broad daylight, a horrible neighborhood that no tourist should stay in. My car was broken into on the one and only night I was there, nothing was stolen and the damage was minor but it was still frustruating. If you stay here make sure you have an alarm system on your car or park somewhere more secure, the lot has cameras/patrols but that didn't help me. Only stay here if you can't afford anywhere else and you aren't using your own transportation, i'd advise taking taxi's to downtown proper, especially at night

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — safety
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Jose
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2006

I had read all the reviews so I was well prepared. I didnt have much expectations to begin with so I was quite happy to see clean room and sheets :) BUT EVERYTHING THAT IS BEING SAID ABOUT NEIGHBORHOOD IS TRUE. The people at the front desk were all nice and helpfull. But here is what really killed me. I was there for 2 nights. On the second day I got a call early in the morning from Vancouver PD. I ran downstairs and found that someone had broken into my car. Since I already knew it was a shady neighborhood, I had taken the precaution of keeping it virtually empty. So nothing was gone but I had a broken glass. The officer said its a very common occurence on that street and in that parking lot. Apparently Canada does not have a similar law that we have here in US, where you get locked up for a certain period of time if you are caught thrice. Here is what really ticked me off. I made sure that I had parked RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE CAMERA. But that didnt help!
I had to spend close to $400 to get the car fixed. I have no complaints about the actual hotel, but better be willing to take chances with your car!

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Saint Augustine, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2006

After reading the reviews, I expected what I saw...which was beggars, homeless people and maybe some prostitutes. But, for $45-49.00 a night in Vancouver, I was Happy. Let me start by saying "I am a frequent traveler". I love paying less for more. Armed with the information from trip advisor, I was ready for the neighborhood.

The rooms are dorm or nunnary sized. But it was cleaned everyday, Parking is available for pennies or nothing at all. I can't even remember the price. public transportation was directly infront of the hotel. They also had tour companies picking up at the hotel. --With the money I saved istaying at this hotel (June 30-July 3), I shopped at Guess, BeBe's, Armani exchange, etc, and ate at some really great restaurants. For me, I broke even. If I had stayed at the Hyatt, Marriot, etc--McDonald's would have seen me for every meal.

Plus, the hotel sells all day bus tickets for $8. The normal day fare is $2 or 2.50. It has Cable TV but no remote....o.k. Friendly Staff. I saw couples at the hotel, but no children. I never felt danger while I was there. But, I am happy I left the kids at home. Besides, Vancouver is beautiful, but expensive.

I plan on returning to Vancouver and will stay at this hotel again. ...If I can get the Holiday Inn or another hotel for $100 or less, well I will stay there. Otherwise, " Patricia Here I come"!

• Stayed June 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2006

I must admit that the location of the Budget Patricia is not the best but I found the hotel to be more then what I expected from a 'budget' hotel. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the staff were very helpful.

As for it's location, yes it is full of the homeless, drug addicts and prostitutes but in the 5 days I was there I was never accosted by anyone. I even walked into the city and back again via Gastown and felt fairly safe albeit with a friend. When I was accosted by beggars, which only happened in Gastown, I never gave them anything but instead of the verbal abuse I've received in other large cities, I was told instead to have a nice day, or enjoy your stay (obviously a politer beggar/drug user/drunk inhabits Vancouver!).

For those who complain, yes the Patricia should be a bit more upfront about it's location but remember it is a Budget hotel and what were you expecting - A harbour view at Canada Place for $80?! Get Real!!

• Stayed July 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2006

If you want to be economical and not waste money while you sleep, this is the best choice for Vancouver lodging. If you mind freaks around the hotel, sleeping in antique rooms on antique furniture with lumpy pillows, get another hotel. Before renting a room for two nights, I read a few reviews. They were accurate to say that there are questionable personalities around in the area - not so much unsafe but rather strange, people with bizarre habits, behaviour, clothing. The hotel is a few blocs into a rather depressed area. Once inside the hotel, everything is o'kay and if all you care is to save some money, this is a good choice.

Stayed June 2006
Wellington, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2006

It's amazing how where you stay, can really affect your impression of a city. We made the mistake of booking this place online. It seemed fairly central to the city and was reletively cheap. Little did we know that it was in one of the scungiest areas in Vancouver. This area (East Hastings Street) appeared to be the main hangout for, druggies, homeless people and people with mental problems. Not only that most of them seemed to catch the bus with us! For some reason, all you needed to say to get a free ride on the bus was "I' just need to pick up my social security cheque" oh.. and not washing for a few months would help and muttering to yourself a lot.

It was a pretty unpleasant experience and you definately did not want to walk around at night in the dark. I was even more worried when I bus driver I was talking to said we'd be fine as long as we carried Mace with us .. and he wasn't kidding.

In terms of the hotel itself. The rooms were small and a little smoky smelling (even though it was meant to be non- smoking) - what you'd expect from a budget hotel. The rooms were clean and were cleaned daily. I didn't see any cockroaches or vermin in the room which I guess is a bonus!

The staff were really nice, friendly and helpful. We had a lovely view of a vacant lot from our window where we got a really good view of all the crack dealers supplying their clients (okay maybe that was just my imagination but there were people loitering a lot there), in addition to the lovely aroma of pot in the lift one day.

Before I went to Vancouver, I was told it was a fantastic place but I have to say after staying at the Patricia Inn I didn't have the fabulous experience of Vancouver I thought I would. Unless you're into experiencing some of the more 'colourful' locals and the seedier side of Vancouver then stay away from this place like the plague!

• Stayed April 2006

Been to Budget Inn Patricia Hotel? Share your experiences!