“Ok if you're on a budget” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Budget Inn Patricia Hotel

You added Budget Inn Patricia Hotel to your Saves list
Budget Inn Patricia Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   403 East Hastings, Vancouver, British Columbia V6A 1P6, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #68 of 96 Hotels in Vancouver
Lugano, Switzerland
“Ok if you're on a budget”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2008

The rooms are ok but really basic. The hotel is located in a very degraded area so it's dangerous to come back late. On the other hand the price is one of the best you can get in Vancouver for a pritty central location!

• Stayed July 2004
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2008

I have never before written a review regarding a hotel – good or bad. But on this occasion I feel that it is a social obligation to do so. My absolute honest advice is to stay away. I repeat: stay away from this hotel. There are literally hoards of drug addicts and prostitutes outside the hotel (and also frequent the lobby). It is one of the worst areas I have seen for this kind of depravation, and I’ve travelled all over the US. Whatever anyone says this cannot be a safe environment for a visitor. We arrived and then rapidly found alternative accommodation. If the hotel were in another area, I wouldn’t be so down on it, but really – look for somewhere else if you value your property and your safety.

• Disliked — Area
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
PatriciaHotel, General Manager at Budget Inn Patricia Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2008
Vancouver like other major cities is dealing with a variety of social issues, such as the rising number of homeless including those with mental illnesses, prostitution, and open drug use. The presence of the issues are felt and seen throughout the entire city.

I agree that some of the sights associated with the previously mentioned issues are typically not desirable, however despite how it looks, visitors to the city and Vancouverites enjoy a high level of personal safety.

The Budget Inn Patricia Hotel gets the privilege of having thousands of travelers staying with us every year, those that are concerned soon realize that the people on the streets are so involved with their own situation that they do not pay attention to anyone else.

The Budget Inn Patricia Hotel is located on the door step to two of the city’s major attractions, both cruise ship terminals and is on a major transit route. We are also part of Vancouver’s oldest neighborhood. Within a few blocks of the hotel you will find an elementary school, pre-school/day care, community center, city parks, and a senior care home.
Melbourne Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2008

We love Vancouver and have been here 7+ times. This was our first stay at Hotel Patricia, and I was very happy!! We started with a room at the side, which was a little on the small side, but we asked to be transferred and got a nice big room at the front of the building. It was a little noisier, especially with the window open, but we didn't mind - still quiet enough to sleep. The area is a little rough, compared w Aust and European standards. Vancouverites (?) seem have a more liberal approach to their citizens - more of a live and let live attitude - and more likely a more humanitarian approach, then locking unsightly their people up. We were asked for money once or twice, but we found even the strangest of characters didn't pose too much of a threat. Our car was a brand new rental, we left it in the car park every night and it was fine. (on a previous trip we had our car broken into so many times, we ended up leaving it unlocked to avoid broken windows - and this was in a "safe" part of downtown). It is close enough to downtown to hoof it around, prop 1/2 hour walk to Stanley Park. There is a pub - we had breakfast there - no complaints. Beer was cheap at night too. Of all the places we have stayed in Vancouver this is our fav. The front desk staff were ace - can't wait to return!!

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2007

I stayed at the Patricia Hotel recently and must say I had a very pleasant experience. The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. The advertisements for this hotel stating it is within walking distance of major tourist attractions such as Gastown and Chinatown is entirely true.

The neighbourhood is a little rough, but we didn't experience any problems and were comfortable walking around in the daytime. Cabs are advisable at night.

My wife and I also enjoyed our room. It was very clean and comfortable. The hotel is older, but clean and well-kept. We really enjoyed the pub which has great character and even better food. They also brew their own beer there and smoke their own meats.

All in all, the Patricia Hotel is great value and Pat's Pub is a great time

Stayed October 2007
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2007

If you're looking for European style budget accommodation, it doesn't get any better than this in Vancouver. Of course it's close to Main and Hastings, and the staff is up front about that when you call them. But it has clean and tidy rooms, it's quiet, and the staff are friendly and helpful. And the price is unbelievable for Vancouver. It's also right on a major bus route, so if you want to avoid all the action three blocks down, you can. And as an added bonus, the pub downstairs is absolutely fantastic. When we were there, there was a rockabilly theme night going on, with people pulling up in 50s era cars, and the bands were awesome, sort of like the Stray Cats. Beer is cheap, the crowd was chill, and the venue itself feels like an old jazz bar, it's a great layout.

I don't know what some of the other travellers commenting on this hotel were expecting. Sounds like they were looking for a four star hotel.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2007

I go to Vancouver frequently and my last trip, 13-19 September 2007, I'd waited until last minute to book accomodations. Of course, the place(s) I'd preferred to stay was booked, so I was left scrambling to find a place.

I chose this hotel on a whim.

I was familiar with the area and thought since I wouldn't be staying at the place much, it wouldn't be such a big deal.
Anyway, once I got to Van, I decided to walk to the Pat Hotel straight down Hastings. Hahahahaaa, it was no different of course from what I know about the east end of the city, and to tell you the truth, East Hastings can be really troublesome if you're a bit worrisome about perceived crime/homelessness/drugs/etc .... and East Hastings is the place that most people try to avoid it seems in Van.

You know what, the hotel is fantastic! It's safe, clean, friendly ..... my room was the best I could've imagined. Some people say the rooms are small ...... well, compared to European hotels I've stayed at, I'd say The Pat's rooms are huge by comparison.

Oh, just avoid East Hastings when walking to/from The Pat by walking down East Pender thru Chinatown (next parallel street) ..... it's like night/day.

I'd stay at The Pat again. In fact, my previous choices on Robson, or West End ....... the value is at The Pat if you enjoy a bit of extra walking, whatnot.
Great Find :)

Stayed September 2007
prince george
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2007

My wife and I spent the weekend here and were pleasantly surprised. We had read some of the other reviews regarding the area and decided to call the hotel and ask about it since every place else was really expensive. The clerk basically said that some of the people in the area kind of looked bad, but the area was really safe and we wouldn’t have a problem.

When we checked in the clerk recommended that we not walk all the way down the main street, but suggested we go through Chinatown (right across the street) to get to the middle of downtown. Getting to Gastown was no problem either. If you haven’t been to Vancouver, there is a stretch that starts about 4 blocks from the hotel that runs between Gastown and Chinatown towards downtown that looked pretty crappy and worth avoiding, we walked right in the middle of it when we cut through from Chinatown to Gastown.

The hotel itself was nice and clean even though it’s older and the staff was really nice. No A/C unfortunately, but there is a fan in the room and it was cool enough to sleep at night. I would also recommend upgrading from the budget room. It was super cheap but quite small and it has no view. The room we ended up with was a lot bigger with a great view and even had an old claw foot tub, plus breakfast was included.

I can see why some people don’t like the area, but again we had no problems and the hotel was just fine. We did see homeless type people and some prostitutes as well as tons of little old men and women from Chinatown that didn’t seem too worried about them. Overall, a great place to stay if you want to save money, as long as you don’t over react about the area.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — homeless people
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Budget Inn Patricia Hotel? Share your experiences!