“Great hotel in a lovely city” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Blue Horizon Hotel

You added Blue Horizon Hotel to your Saves list
Blue Horizon Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1225 Robson Street | Downtown, Vancouver, British Columbia V6E 1C3, Canada   |
Offers & Announcements
Lowest rate gauranteed
Ranked #24 of 96 Hotels in Vancouver
Hertfordshire
“Great hotel in a lovely city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2008

We have just returned from a tour of Canada and this was our first stop for 3 nights and it was a great start to our trip.

I did a great deal of research planning the trip and I was so pleased with this choice of hotel. The location is fantastic, right on Robson Street in the heart of the main shops and restaurants. We didn't pay for one of the higher rooms so we were on the 6th floor, this does mean you don't get the amazing views but the room was still great. We had a balcony and huge windows which made the large room really airy and bright. Although we weren’t that high you could still see the mountains and the park from the window. The room had the biggest bed I think I have ever slept in and the comfiest pillows possible.

This really is a great hotel for the money, when I was researching the area Vancouver seemed generally really pricey, this hotel is definitely worth the price you pay and you won't be disappointed.

Please feel free to ask me any questions about this hotel or Vancouver.

• Liked — The location was fab and the room was huge.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (449)
Kent
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2008

A rather disappointing hotel considering the weather which was not conducive to outside dining..... advertised a pool and disco, restaurant and that it was central.... it was, all true but there was nowhere to sit and relax inside, particularly around reception on a cold rainy evening. Staff bright and pleasant. Spacious, bright room with fridge. tv and the possibility to cater for ourselves but overall general hotel was rather dowdy with small corridors that had no air and smelled of fire. Rooms also need upgrading since rather tired. Great if you just want to sleep after long flight and also very near good restaurants with the buzz of a shopping district. Very good access to trolly 'tourist trams'. Outside pick up the tour which will take you easily to all cultural sights and main districts in central Vancouver for 2 days. The 'hop on and hop off' system is excellent. E-mail ticket was accepted and there were fun commentaries. Altogether a good place to start the adventure of discovering Vancouver but I think there are better places around if you have abit more cash.

Stayed June 2008
Manchester, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2008

We stayed in vancouver as the first 3 nights of our honeymoon. I rang the Blue Horizon and booked the hotel off the strength of the tripadvisor reviews. We were not disappointed.

We stayed on the 2nd to top floor, the views (particulary sun set) were amazing. The room decor was a little dated, but the room was big, clean and everything you would expect from the good rating on tripadvisor. We ate breakfast in the restaurant every morning, which had a good choice. We also had dinner one night (something quick), which was ok. There are so many nice cafes/ restaurants close to the hotel on Robson street.

We would definitely recommend this hotel to friends & family, and we would also stay here again.

• Liked — Price, Quality, Convenience
  • Disliked — Decor was dated
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Palm Coast, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2008

We spent months reading reviews of Vancouver Hotels before deciding on the Blue Horizon. After visiting Vancouver, and seeing all the other hotels, I don't think we could have picked a better hotel / value / location for $180 per night. Not bad for the second most expensive city in the world. The NW views are spectacular on the 25th floor down to the 15th. The room was spacious and comfortable. The beds were very comfortable (my wife slept 10 hours after the long flight). Coffee was provided, although there were Starbucks on every block. This city is heavily caffeinated! Oh, the staff was great too in the hotel and restaurant. This hotel serves the cruise lines and this was apparent with the large lobby crowds on the weekend but we had no problem checking in our out for our cruise on Sunday. The t.v. choices were very good too.

CONS: the pool / exercise area needs major renovating. There is major slime buildup around the pool, rusting along the walls, and residential grade equipment in disrepair facing a depressing wall. Needless to say, I went for a dip in the pool/hot tub/and sauna and I felt fine. The bathub in the room is a little outdated (no big deal). The handle on the door leading to the balcony was duct taped (but I didn't need it that high up). The restaurant was nice but way overpriced (as is Vancouver). We ordered Bruschetta for $9 (turned out to be two small pieces of cheese bread). One of the male waiters was a bit rude too. My wife couldn't make up her mind right away and the male waiter snatched the menu from the table before she decided. He said they needed them for other customers and we would have to share. The next time we ate there, I got up to the go to the bathroom and came back to find he had taken my menu before I ordered so we got up and ate somewhere else. The rest of the wait staff was awesome and took time to tell us about Vancouver.

One more CON: traffic noise. Even 25 feet up you can hear it. Unfortunately we had to close all the doors and windows to sleep (this is an all night city / it doesn't get dark until midnight). We ran the A/C all night to filter the sound and it worked. Too bad there was no fan setting.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Pool
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2008

I booked my stay through the Whistler Mountaineer web site (fantastic day trip) and it was the cheapest of all the hotels they recommended. However, being on a budget and seeing the great reviews here I decided to give it a try. Boy am I glad I did! Spectacular views of either the city or the bay with a true walk out balcony.

*My room was very clean.
*View of the city from the 30th floor is beautiful even if you are surrounded by some other high rises.
*Check in staff were very friendly and efficient.
*I got to check in early 9:00am
*Large spacious rooms with lots of windows
*Mini bar prices were actually reasonable
*Fridge could have been a little colder but no big deal.

If I am every back in the area I will not hesitate to stay here again.

• Liked — Value
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Sydney Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2008

This hotel is old but the location on Robson Street is within walking distance of many good restaurants like the Keg Steak House and Moxie's. We stayed on the 27th floor with a stunning view of the water and mountains. The queen bed was comfortable and the room was a good size but as I said it was tired looking due to its age. The elevator thankfully worked well and sped us from ground floor up with no delays. There is a cafe on the ground floor with indoor and outdoor dining which is very convenient for a quick breakfast if you are in a hurry. We paid CA $179 which for a large city is a bargin. I would definitely stay here again. Good value!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — age
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2008

I'm not sure why other tripadvisor members, who seem like a picky bunch, are raving about this hotel. It could be that it's the best downtown Vancouver has to offer. We were disappointed and almost checked out early. Still, when we lowered our expectations the stay was pleasant enough.

First of all, the hotel is in an extremely busy downtown section of Vancouver, which may suit some people, but it's not what we were expecting. We were warned repeatedly while checking in not to leave anything in our car, as car windows have been smashed in to steal a quarter. Wow. Not a great introduction to our stay.

The room was nice enough, clean, but the decor throughout the building was wildly outdated. The fridge in the room was so warm a quart of milk spoiled within the day. The views from the room were good, but blocked by the many neighboring tall buildings.

The pool was the size of a large bathtub, and stained. Our 3 year old enjoyed it though, he was about the only one who could fit in it.

If I'm ever in Vancouver again I will stay elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2008
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Blue Horizon Hotel? Share your experiences!