“Do Not Overlook the Pink Peppercorn!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #151 of 2,846 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Food is delicious; prices are reasonable for seafood; only about 2 months old. Chef was from The Cannery. I'm a very happy customer who wants them listed.
Dallas, Texas
“Do Not Overlook the Pink Peppercorn!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We're in Vancouver, so our dinner thoughts immediately turn to seafood. Call up trusty Trip Advisor and, yay, a highly-rated seafood restaurant away from the chaos of downtown. Make a quick call and secure a reservation and off we go.

Initial impression, Perkins-type booths and wall decor. But wait, the table linens are crisp and starched. The silverware nice and sturdy. Nice glassware. Things are promising.

Our server (the only server) was amazing. He was attentive without being annoying. Never once called us "guys". Knew the menu and described the dishes with great detail. And he brought us our food hot.

Now, to the food. For apps, we had clam chowder (delish) and a clam and mussel dish with leeks, tomatoes, and chorizo in a peppercorn broth. We'll start by saying that we love peppercorns, so having the broth filled with them suited us to a T. The clams and mussels were full of briny flavor. We adored the leeks. I passed on the chorizo, but hubby stated that it added a new dimension to a fairly commonly-offered dish.

Next, the mains. We took our server's recommendation and went with the fish specials; halibut and John Dory. We both loved our fish, nicely seasoned in a herb crust that enhanced, but did not overwhelm, the delicate flavor of the fish. The John Dory was new to us and we found it incredibly flavorful and slightly oily (good fish oily, not bad). The halibut was milder and very good too. What rocked the specials were the sides. Awesome!!! A perfectly cooked whole carrot (never seen that before), two asparagus spears, two large broccoli florets (stems needed cleaning), and a grilled red pepper. All presented atop of excellent mashed potatoes. They were creamy and had a sweetness to them we were unable to identify.

Missteps? A few, but very minor. First, I don't think a brown mushroom/shrimp gravy pairs well with fish. It's only fair to state that hubby disagreed with me and thought it enhanced the dish. We both dislike when our dirty silverware is taken from our app plates and put back on the table. Please give us a new fork for our entree.

If we lived here, we'd go as often as our checkbook allowed. It's not cheap. But we felt the price was appropriate for the quality of service and food, that we received.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Hafnarfjordur, Iceland
“Peppery mussels, average steak”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Had the San Francisco style mussels for a starter. It was a bit too peppery and also a bit salty. Wasn't in the mood for more seafood so I ordered the Aged Alberta Tenderloin. I've had so much better Alberta beef. I was probably only unlucky with the steak but there wasn't much taste. And it was no 10 oz chunk. No way.

Visited May 2013
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
“Great food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

I had the fish of the day - halibut- and it was fantastic. The dish was a bit pricey, but it was a big portion.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Best seafood ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant served the greatest seafood. Every single dish was excellent. I can't wait for my next trip to Vancouver.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“Great Seafood where you wouldn't expect to find it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Came here for my birthday on a Monday night. The place was empty but from the reviews, I still had high expectations for the food... and... they were met!
The appies and meals were delicious all across the table! Our group of 6 had nothing but high praise for the food which was presented beautifully. Our waiter (named "Teddybear" - Yes, check the receipt!) was awesome. He was attentive, friendly, and very knowledgeable. The chef even came out to check on us and chat after our meal. Granted... there were no other customers, but it was still a nice gesture.
The only 'complaint' I had was that the décor doesn't fit the restaurant's menu, staff, or price point. It's a pretty small complaint given how much I enjoyed my meal.
Will be back next time I'm looking for some good seafood and don't feel like travelling downtown. =P

• Visited April 2013