“Yes it's grand but it's also bland.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Grand Vancouver

You added Westin Grand Vancouver to your Saves list
Westin Grand Vancouver
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   433 Robson Street and Homer Street, Vancouver, British Columbia V6B 6L9, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #23 of 96 Hotels in Vancouver
Vancouver, BC
“Yes it's grand but it's also bland.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2009

I should first clarify that I don't intent my title to be too negative, I just liked the rhyme. I gave this hotel four stars and I stand by it, it was a decent hotel but the decor is quite dull and similar to many other hotels I've stayed at. I own a business in Vancouver but commute to town by ferry and I occasionally have to stay in town if I have to work late, this time my event was canceled and my wife and I ended up having a pleasant night on the town. The location is superb, it's right across the street from the main library (unique architecturally and well worth a visit in my opinion), and walking distance to everything from the Art Gallery to the Convention Center. This is also a rather unique part of downtown in that there's plenty of meter parking on the street and it's not very sketchy so I didn't feel stupid leaving my car on the street all night. Why do I mention this? The hotel parking was over $20.00 a night, the parking meter's are about $2.50 an hour but you don't have to pay from 8:00pm until 9:00am, this piece of info may or may not save you some money depending on when you arrive and depart.

The hotel looks and feels much more like an upscale condo than a hotel, frankly I don't like the look or vibe but that's just my own opinion (more on this later). There is no lobby on the main floor, you have to taken a staircase or an elevator up one floor for this. The doormen were very friendly and explained this to us within a few seconds of us walking in. Reception was fast and friendly but we did have a little surprise when the a woman walked out of the room we had been assigned to as we were about to walk in! The woman at reception was very apologetic (I think the guest had already checked out but hadn't given up her room key yet or something), anyway we were quickly assigned a new room which was an upgrade to a one bedroom suite with a king sized bed in the bedroom. The room was perfectly adequate with a small living room with a sofa, a couple of chairs and small coffee table. There was a fairly ingenious kitchenette set up tucked away in a closet but I couldn't see it being that helpful for cooking. There was a small sink, a microwave and a dishwasher, be warned that the only fridge was the mini bar which was already full of costly snacks so if you were planning on doing grocery shopping you'd be strapped for fridge space. (probably a good time to mention that there's a full service grocery store called I.G.A. just a couple of stores down).

By far the best part of the room was the bathroom, it was unusually spacious for a chain hotel with an enclosed shower seperate from the bathtub and with two really nice massaging shower heads too! I really don't like the look that a lot of upscale hotels are going for, when I walk into a lot of rooms (this one included) I feel like I'm at a show suite for an overpriced condo development. That said the styling really worked for the bathroom, it looked very sleek and expensive and my wife loved it as well. The bedroom was fine with a decent sized closet and a comfortable bed although my wife and I both struggled to find a comfortable pillow, there were a lot of them but none of them were very comfy! The only other thing would say about the room is that it's stocked with fantastic Starbucks coffee and tea!

We didn't use the restaurant but I've heard it's very good, we didn't interact with the staff much but every one we did talk to was professional, friendly and competent. Although I wasn't wowed by the room itself I would hardily recommend this property. I've lived in or Vancouver all of my life and I love the city, but the downtown has a lot sketchy areas even in places you'd think would be nice. This hotel is located in one of the best possible locations, there was not a panhandler or squeege kid in sight! This part of downtown is very residential, the hotel is surrounded by highrise condos, which means there are always lots of people walking around even late a night not only does it make it feel very safe to walk around at night, it's also a very pleasant vibe.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2009

Nine rooms per floor; it was meant to be condos. This was delightful. The restaurant was very pleasant and the food good. The staff all around could not be nicer.

The room/suite on the 26th floor had lovely views, and was quite quiet although the bedroom was so small that it would have been a better single room. I had to turn sideways to walk around the bed.

Old televisions.

But unfortunately Westins tend to be cheeseparing hotels. The towels were thin and skimpy. The internet was $15 a night, and if I'm paying $300 a night, plus $100 or more a day in food, that ought to be free. And the sign said that credit-card calls were 110% of the operator-assisted rate. Operator-assisted rate for a CREDIT-CARD call? I didn't use it but that tells you of the greed.

As always, Westins are friendly, competent, decent, and well run. Same with the St. Regis line. But if you look there are other hotels, just as good, with better value.

But Aria, the restaurant, is its treasure.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

I'm not normally a SPG points collector so I don't stay in this chain too often.

Nice all suite hotel - dishwasher and microwave in my room, esp if you're staying longer. Mixture of bachelor style units and one bedrooms. Good service - my room had no toiletries upon arrival and this was quickly fixed.

Smooth check in and check out.

Cons: slow as death elevators and it would be nice to have an LCD TV. Premium prices for parking downtown - didn't valet the car so not sure the valet rates, but self-parking is $21/day for guests. Wi-fi isn't free here :(

Pluses: nice suites, big bathrooms, clean, great location, great service staff.

Conference rooms are a good size and the service staff are excellent here for meetings. Definitely a solid hotel in downtown Vancouver.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2009

Room rates much higher than value of stay. The staff was very efficient on checkin but front desk gave us an electronic key card that did not work in elevator which is mandatory to go up...not down though...took card back and she said it was fine after she checked it but it still failed to work...had to find a more helpful person to get it replaced and this time it worked. Suite had amenities in fridge and on the shelf available for purchase that were totally outrageous in price such as $3.50 for a soda or $8 for a mini 50ml bottle of alchohol (this could be more effective than the AA), 1 microwavable popcorn for $5...or my Fave...a bottle of water for $5 (LOL)... One of our bath towels was neatly folded up with a 4" rip in the middle. Wireless internet free at most decent places cost $14.99 for a day.... (plus PST & GST) whatever that is makes it a total of $16.79... cost... for a toll free call to use our calling card cost us $1.40 each time a call was placed.. The general area is under siege by both construction and street people begging for money... I would never stay here again... It is an overpriced- overhyped hotel that should be used only for the overindulgent.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2009

We had to embark on a ship from the Vancouver port and decided to fly up a few days early so we could explore the city. The cruise line had recommended Pan Pacific and I'm glad I decided to do my own research. The Westin Grand was not the most affordable hotel, but I only take vacation once a year and I'm more concerned with being comfortable and receiving good service. The Westin has a more corporate feel to it so if you're looking for flowers and pretty decor you won't find it here. If comfort, cleanliness, good location, and superior customer care are on the top of your list then you should definately consider staying here. Everyone on staff was professional and efficient. I plan on retuning to Vancouver since we had such a blast and will definately stay at the Westin again.

Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
amsterdam, netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2009

we stayed for 6 nights and had a suite consisting of a small bedroom and separate sitting room. There was a small kitchen in a cupboard. Nice view from the sitting room and comfortable sofa and armchair (although a bit jaded and in need of recovering). Hotel location is great, on the edge of downtown and easy reach of gastown, yaletown etc, also both a supermarket and liquor store on the same block so easy to have relaxing evenings in when we did not feel like a restaurant meal. Had a very comfortable stay and one of the few places we came across in two weeks in Canada with quiet airco/or quiet when windows were open at night, good sleep every night.

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2009

We stayed here the night before our Alaskan cruise with two other couples. Excellent location and great hotel. Very attentive staff and super excellent bedding. Good restaurants close by.

Used Alfred's Guest Services for a private tour of Vancouver for the six of us and he was excellent including drop-off at the pier. Great experience in Vancouver!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Westin Grand Vancouver? Share your experiences!