“Good value in a Great neighborhood” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Riviera on Robson Suites Hotel Downtown Vancouver

You added Riviera on Robson Suites Hotel Downtown Vancouver to your Saves list
Riviera on Robson Suites Hotel Downtown Vancouver
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1431 Robson Street, Vancouver, British Columbia V6G 1C1, Canada (Downtown)   |
Ranked #42 of 96 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle, Washington
“Good value in a Great neighborhood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2011

In Vancouver for a wedding that was in the downtown area & needed a place to stay for a decent price. After posting on a local forum in Vancouver, I was told to try out the Riviera.

The hotel is on Robson Street, close to Denham in Vancouver. It goes without saying this is one of the finest urban areas in all of Canada/USA. The area is vibrant, safe and filled with pubs, cafes & small stores. I LOVED the area.

The hotel itself is an older building. The sign was partially burned out & the front lobby looks like out of the 1970's. Their was staff 24 hours a day at the front (a single person) and they were friendly.

The rooms are large. They are not so much hotel rooms but 1 bedroom apartments complete with bedroom, 2 couches, bathroom and a full kitchen (stove, fridge, etc). The cost for the room was $107 dollars per night which given the area was incredibly cheap.

The decor is dated but to be expected for that price. The bed was clean & the sheets were fresh. The bathroom was clean and modern without any "yuck factor". The living area/kitchen has older couches and the carpet had a few stains in it. The kitchen was clean but the table had the odd scratch. No big deal. It also comes with free wireless internet.

I was most surprised how quiet the place was especially with the patio door wide open the entire time I was there. The level of street noise was surprisingly low during the week and weekend. The loudest noise was the seagulls in the distance.

This hotel is right in the heart of Vancouver and, while dated, it's an absolute gem for the price. You're within walking distance of everything, including Vancouver's Skytrain. This place is suited for hardier types that don't mind a scratch on the table or a spill mark from wine in the carpet. The bedroom and bathroom were spotless. It's a deal.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

Where do we start? Run down building outside and inside. Smells, hide a bed with thin mattress so sleeping on springs. Cigarette burns all over blankets. Electical tape around the hair dryer. Lamps that had shorts in them. Shower water that took 15 minutes to get warm. No mat for shower that was slopped. No screens on the windows 8 stories up. Laundry facility still had wet towels and comforter inside 2 washers left by housekeeping. Dirty dirty! Smelled so bad near the entry of the parking garage. All through the night heard traffic outside. Scary squeak in the elevator which takes forever! They need to just tear the building down and start over!!!!!! We checked out the next am as soon asap. They didn't blink a eye or charge us when we said we were leaving. Must be used to one night stays!!!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

This is a good value budget hotel, clean, excellent location, full kitchen, and mostly helpful staff. Ther is a Italian cafe close by that's serves good pasta.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2010

I had cause to stay here twice over the summer - a week before we went on an Alaska trip and a week upon my return. Both my travel friend (from Germany) and myself (from Australia) found it to be clean and comfortable.

All comments about the attitude of front desk staff were correct - except that when I started asking him about HIS day had been, suddenly the abuptness turned into helpfulness and a welcoming smile whenever we came through the front door.

The summer past was fantastic weather so air con would have been nice, but with a balcony and windows in both the bedroom and living /dining areas there was always a breeze you could shift a chair to catch. As noted by others the furnishings are old, but nothing was broken in either of the suites we used. The free internet connection in the room was very welcome.

The rooms were kept very clean (although like others we had long waits for the rooms to be ready) and the cleaning staff were very helpful with proving an extra towel or tea towel.

Location is perfect - especially for walkers. But with a bus stop meters from the door, and the frequent service it was a good location for everyone. And Vancouver buses are accessible, courteous and even in the pre-Olympics building diversions safe & convenient.

This hotel and the self catering kitchen and ample cheap take-aways nearby (sushi, fish & chips, Korean, Chinese, Greek) made it a very reasonable stay. Starbucks and Blenz are close as are Safeway & a gourmet market (name?) by Whole Foods.

One note on laundry - it was often not available until late afternoon as the cleaning staff are using it to do the sheets and towels as they clean. I found a laundrromat down on Denman Street about 2 1/2 blocks from Robson - up on the first floor that was cheaper and available from very early until very late, and a bit cheaper overall. They have heaps of machines so not much (if any) waiting.
I plan on staying at the Riveria again in 2011.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
victoria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

The first and the last time I will consider Riviera Hotel in Vancouver for business trip or leisure.

• Stayed February 2009
Beaver Bank
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2008

After a lot of research for hotels in Vancouver I selected the Riviera. The Hotel was as I expected. It is somewhat dated and could stand with a facelift, but it was clean and very acceptable. The rooms we had were both 1 bedroom suites with a kitchen and separte bedroom. The kitchens were adequately equipped and the bedrooms were large. I did not find the front desk staff to be terribly friendly but they were helpful and courteous. We had asked for and received rooms on the top floors and they were north facing as requested (view of the north side mountains). Location was great, on the western end of Robson, near Stanley Park and only a 25 minute walk to Gastown or 15 minutes to Granville Island. Only real draw back is that the rooms do Not have any control over the heat. The rooms were quite warm and there were not any thermostats in the rooms. Only option is to open windows or patio door to balcony, but that can be noisy. All in all, I would recommend this location.

• Liked — location, space and price
  • Disliked — no control over room temperature
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Yokohama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2008

We stayed at Riviera Hotel for 2 nights in mid September. Since it was our first time in Canada, I mailed the hotel directly to ask for directions to the hotel from the Amtrak train station- the Pacific Central Station. And, I got no replies. I managed to get there, luckily, hopping on the Bus #5, which dropped us off, about 10 steps away from the hotel.

So, I got there safely, but tired from the trip. And an unpleasant welcome at the reception desk was the last thing I needed. A man was checking-in before me, so I waited for my turn, while the man listened to the Spanish? hotel guy complain about whatever he was having problems with. When it was finally my turn, I smiled and said hi, but all I got in return was a frown and a quick 'hi'.

Unlike the friendliness the man before me got, I was just given a room key on the counter, and he said," Room 704. Bye." Maybe he was having a bad day, but I sure didn't deserve that attitude as a guest...

But putting all those behind, we went to our room, hoping to hop on the bed to stretch and relax. We open our room door and enter, only to find the bed a whole mess with lots of hair from the visitor before us. We check the bathroom, only to find disappointment and disgust that the sink is filled with hair, and the towels all over the bathroom floor. There was a cup on the kitchen counter- obviously used. Garbage was found here and there on the carpeted living room as well.

I hurried down to the guy to tell him that he gave us the wrong room- its a mess!! In reply, he looks up at me, no smile, no expression, and said, "Check-in is at 4. Room is probably not ready yet. Just leave your things in the room, no problem." and goes back to his computer, as if the dirty room was normal. If he gave us the room to be nice before check-in time, thank you. But he could've at least told us that the room is not made yet, but we can leave our belongings in the room. Just a simple short sentence to prepare us for what we're going to see..

When we re-entered the room after 4, we found the room tidy, bed made, and towels changed. But after all that, nothing felt clean anymore. Not to mention that the towel still had some hair on it, and it was a well-used towel. Nothing like the crisp, fresh, clean towels you get at hotels. The garbage was still on the floor, right where I found them in the beginning, and the used cup was still on the kitchen counter, also where I've last seen it.

Had it not been for the Capers/ Wholefoods store just a block and a half away, the fully-equipped kitchen, and being in the center of everything, we probably would have left.

Our stay comes with more surprises, when our swipe card key to our room apparently 'expired' on the second day, although I reserved to stay at the hotel for 2 nights. Luckily, we didn't have to change rooms, but did we feel very welcomed...The room was made the second night, towels changed, but the sheets weren't changed- just made it look tidy.

To use the laundry, we have to receive another swipe card to get into the laundry room- be prepared with lots of quarters!

At check-out, we were about to complain about our stay, only to find the same guy that checked us in! And he was nasty to me all the way till the end. He told me to sign, but as I was checking the hotel fee, it was higher than what I booked it for. I got out my print-out, and started to check the breakdown, when he said, "Just sign it, ok". That got more suspicious, and I found out the my rate for the first night was higher. When confronted, he got really angry, and circled the hotel rate, underlined the tax for the ngiht, and slammed the pen down on the counter. Angrily, he told me to complain to the government if I had complaints, and that everyone has to pay taxes. Duh, like I don't know anything about taxes. I was talking about the actual room rate, but he kept on telling me to go complain to the government.

Besides these, all other hotel staff were helpful, and very friendly. Location was excellent- Bus#5 runs down Robson frequently, internet cafes 2 doors down, and a block away, Bus#19 that takes you into Stanley park is 2 blocks down behidn the hotel, safe area with people walking outside at night as well, lots of places to eat and grab a coffee in walking distance.

• Liked — Location, fully-equipped kitchen
  • Disliked — Front desk staff, room cleanliness
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Riviera on Robson Suites Hotel Downtown Vancouver? Share your experiences!