“Affordable downtown hotel with art” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Listel Hotel Vancouver

You added The Listel Hotel Vancouver to your Saves list
The Listel Hotel Vancouver
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1300 Robson Street, Vancouver, British Columbia V6E 1C5, Canada (Downtown)   |
Hotel packages
Special Rate
Christmas Stayover Rate
Ranked #30 of 96 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
British Columbia
“Affordable downtown hotel with art”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

The rooms are fine and there's art everywhere, which I loved. The location was actually better than I'd expected. I had thought that Robson Street would be stuffy and full of boring overpriced consumer monoculture. It is, but not down here. As Robson moves away from Downtown and into the West End it gets more interesting and you feel more of a good city vibe which includes lots of affordable food options within a block or two. This hotel is really affordable by Vancouver standards while being close to the Convention Centre and Skytrain hubs - as long as you're into walking a bit. It's really no hardship to walk around this part of Vancouver - it's vibrant and not at all scary.

The staff were great. I had several reasons to ask for help/advice and appreciated their friendly attitude. Try to have breakfast at their restaurant Forage if you can. It's friendly and relaxed and the food is great. I had a sublime mushroom omlette there.

I was there for less than $100/night through Travelzoo but when I asked about staying another night I was quoted $110. Not bad at all for Vancouver! I'm not saying that that's the rack rate, but you should be able to get something close to it if you're travelling in the off season as I was. And wifi is free - as it bloody well should be. As I'm sure you know, once you start paying inflated 4 or 5 star hotel rates, you start paying stupid amounts for internet access. But parking here is expensive. That's why I moved out once I needed a car. I was quoted $30+ per day for parking. That's probably standard for downtown Vancouver, but it's more than I payed to rent the darn car, so no.

So, pedestrians, I recommend this hotel to you. I have understated how cool the art component is - they are really bringing art to the people and I appreciate it. The 6th floor is curated by the UBC Museum of Anthropology so there was first nations west coast throughout - inlcuding my room. Because I'm from around here, it seemed very homey! I wanted to cruise the art on different floors but the elevator is security enabled so that your key card can access your floor, but not everybody else's. That's a good thing, but I should have asked for a tour from a staffer - I bet they would have let me look around.

I hope this has been helpful...

Room Tip: Corner rooms can have awesome decks!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Jim_M0ckf0rd, General Manager at The Listel Hotel Vancouver, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Thank you for your review. We do from time to time offer very low discounts, watch our website for them! Parking is a typical price for downtown Vancouver, generally in-line with our competitors and other major cities.

Thanks again,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Comox, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I was looking forward to my stay as I had heard good things from someone who had stayed there years ago, and I usually love boutique-style hotels. Prompt, friendly check-in and nice lobby & hallways had me excited.

But upon entry to my room I must say I was extremely disappointed. Upon first glance, the furnishings were fun and modern and the museum art was a really nice touch. But beyond that, the room was very old. The bathroom was so small it was hard to get in and out of. The tub/shower was old and in desperate need of a re-do. Same with all the walls, flooring, faucets, etc. It was nothing better than a Super 8 but with museum artwork. I was also shocked that it did not provide any basic toiletries beyond a shampoo & conditioner pump on the shower wall--no hand lotion, shower caps, etc. and there was not even hand soap by the sink (which was separate from the shower area). So whenever I wanted to wash my hands I had to use the body wash from the pump on the shower wall and then walk back out to the sink area! It was, on a good note, quite clean and daily housekeeping was very prompt.

The hotel was decently priced for the area--I paid around $130 a night. But I was expecting a lot more "funky" and "modern" from what they advertised. Sadly I would not stay here again. Locaton wise, it is quite far down Robson Street and a good walk from Granville, Pacific Centre, Waterfront, etc.

Room Tip: If there are any available, I would ask for a more updated/renovated room. 6th floor "museum le...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Stayed here one night and really enjoyed the place. Quick attentive check-in by friendly staff. Room was very clean and a good size. Very eco friendly hotel which I liked it. Bathroom a wee bit small but more than adequate. Bed was very comfortable. Great location about a 15min walk from City Centre skytrain. Would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

I only spent one night en route to Toronto but could have stayed for more. (Sounds like that song from My Fair Lady.) It is a small hotel, very well kept, and very relaxed. It is an "art" hotel featuring original pieces all over the hotel without the "artsy"and high brow feeling, just entertaining. Location is fantastic on Robson St., in the West End, walking distance to many places downtown (Stanley Park one end and the Courthouse/Museum at the other end). Secondly, the room felt "warm" as in decor, not temperature. It was gloomy and raining in Vancouver that day/night and it was just great to be holed up in my very comfortable room. The decor is halfway modern with some old world touches. Next door is Forage, the hotel restaurant (used to be in the old days, the very popular O'Douls), and an art gallery. I'm into small hotels, with very comfortable room, without the stuffy feeling of "finer" hotels. I rate this super charming, fine little number. Don't be overwhelmed by the art pieces - no heavy Rennaisance stuff, some you can even touch.

Room Tip: I was in room 409 which I believe was on the side of the building - very quiet.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your comment... we love people that love small hotels! As you note considering our Robson St. location, the hotel has a small friendly, even warm, feel to it and it tends to be quiet, both on the street and in the building, all the better for a good nights sleep!

Thanks again
Kamloops, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

The hotel is clean with a nice restaurant that has a good menu that is different from the norm. The fitness room is pretty standard but there is a good varitey of equipment. It is in a great location on Robson Street with many types of ethnic restaurants nearby. Stanley Park is quite close if you want to go for a jog or walk.

Room Tip: all rooms seem equal. None of the rooms have a view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I recently had the pleasure of staying at the Listel on Robson. The location was top notch. Couldn't have asked for a better location. The staff was efficient and friendly. My room was nice not over the top and I loved that there were environmental considerations at every step. The hotel is attached to an art gallery and there were beautiful pieces throughout the hotel which certainly added to it's charm. Overall a great experience all around.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

It is not often one arrives at a hotel to be given such a delightful welcome. We stayed for 4 nights and we could not find one fault with the hotel. The room was spacious and immaculately clean. The restaurant was excellent both in service and food quality.
The hotel is so conveniently placed on Robson Street. We enjoy walking so we walked many miles from the hotel.
We would most strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Been to The Listel Hotel Vancouver? Share your experiences!