“Beautiful week in Vancouver” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Bayshore, Vancouver

Save Saved
You added The Westin Bayshore, Vancouver to your Saves list
The Westin Bayshore, Vancouver
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1601 Bayshore Drive, Vancouver, British Columbia V6G 2V4, Canada (Coal Harbour)   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #32 of 97 hotels in Vancouver
New York City, New York
“Beautiful week in Vancouver”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

I had the fortune of staying here for a week, and thoroughly enjoyed all the amenities Westin Bayshore had to offer. Their in house restaurant is terrific and offers a diverse spread, and the rooms are comfortable and modern. Their staff was helpful and positive whenever I had any needs and I look forward to staying there in the future.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

1,252 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
  • Korean first
Halifax, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

From the minute we checked i felt unwelcome at this hotel. Although reception is professional I wouldn't say they are courteous or friendly. The clerk refused to let me check in because the room was in my husband's name and not mine. She said that if I had some ID for him I would be able to. We were trying to quickly drop off luggage and run to an appt but that didn't seem to matter to the clerk. I went out to the car and got my husband's drivers license and went back in and was told that because they couldn't see him I still could not check in. I had to go back out and get him to come in personally. Little extreme. My husband asked the bellman for a luggage cart and decided he may as well bring the luggage in since I was taking so long. The bellman didn't lift the luggage out of the car...my husband did. He wheeled the luggage rack into the lobby and gave the bellman a $5 tip and then the receptionist could see him so I was allowed to then check in. We said we will just bring the luggage up...the receptionist came around the counter and said we were not allowed to bring the luggage rack up to the room. What? I thought this was a hotel? What is the rack for?? We ended up late for our appt because of this ridiculous check in.

Then a couple of days later...I leaned out in the hall to put the room service tray outside and locked myself out. Oh boy. My husband was in a meeting and I had no ID...in the hallway in my slippers. It took two calls from the hallway phone to convince someone to come and let me in. Again, the room wasn't in my name ...good grief. That is excessive I think. What criminals bring their slippers on a break in?? They had no problem with me signing room service bills for three days.

I was also in the room when the maid came and told her to come in and go ahead. I was just reading. She was very nice, quick, efficient and friendly. But...she had green gloves on...the same ones she cleaned the toilet with, handled glasswear, dirty linens and then made our bed...handling the pillows, etc. Gross. I have to put my head on that pillow.

The rooms are very nice, modern but the bed...called the Heavenly Bed...was too soft for us. You sank into it...if you like that you will be pleased but we just kept rolling together into the middle of the bed all night. Nice lobby, nice pools, all the staff were smiling and friendly, even the staffer who refused my entry into the Hospitality Suite set up for my husband's conference. And the staffer who refused to let me on the mezzanine level where the conference had set up an office. I found a way up there but had to sneak by hotel staff. Good grief. Too much.

Room Tip: Ask for a marina view on a high floor.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Ashley D, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Bayshore, Vancouver, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us and our future guests. We are sorry to hear that you did not feel welcomed upon arrival. Our security policies are designed to help protect the guest and that is of utmost importance to us. I have also contacted the Director of Housekeeping to follow up with his team regarding your feedback. Thank you for the compliment on the friendliness of our team. We strive to exceed the expectations of our guests. Again we are very apologetic that you found our security measures to be excessive. If you would like to discuss it further please let us know when it would be convenient to contact you. We do hope that you will choose the Westin Bayshore the next time you are visiting Vancouver. Be well.
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We booked online and had no real idea what we were going to get, but the Westin was truly a surprise. Located right on the waters' edge next to the marina and with excellent shopping and dining very close by we were delighted with our spacious room, with beautiful views out over the harbor. We sat for hours watching the sea planes coming and going from the terminal just across the other side of the marina. Restaurants were excellent, staff very helpful, gardens immaculate and reasonable price. We would definitely go back again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Qualicum Beach, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

my husband attended a conference last week at this hotel, so we stayed here. we were given a corner room, so an amazing view facing the mountains and stanley park. the room was very clean and well appointed. good buffet breakfast. attractive lobby and grounds. we walked the 10 easy minutes to our resturant on robson. i had a great walk along the seawall and into gastown. the manager emailed my husband when we got home to see if all had gone well, a very impressive followup. we have stayed here before and will come back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

After our arrival on the Rocky Mountaineer in Vancouver last August, my wife and I stayed at the Westin Bayshore (WB), where I first stayed in 1976. Since 1976, the WB has undergone significant structural changes; however, its location in Coal Harbour along the Seawall is as scenic and its staff as friendly and efficient as ever. Check-in was prompt. Our beautiful large corner room on the top floor of the main building looks out onto the Seawall and the area along West Georgia Street. Its bathroom with a “Heavenly Shower” (one of its two showerheads smartly de-activated to save water) and two basins was well-supplied with toiletries and soft robes. The room has a king-size “Heavenly Bed” (with more pillows than one head can rest on). This was the first time in years that we did not stay in the hotel’s fully-booked Tower. As for room rates, WB’s are competitive, but no other hotel matches it in location and ambiance.

As an aside, in March 1972, Howard Hughes, hotly pursued by the US IRA, sought refuge in the WB’s Tower for six months in a three-room Penthouse suite on the 20th floor, with his staff occupying the three floors below. I understand that this suite is available for occupancy, provided one accepts severe damage to one’s wallet.

We/I have always enjoyed staying at the WB, when visiting Vancouver, mainly because of its location, quality accommodation and its helpful and friendly staff. Nowadays, complementary WI-FI is available in the lobby and high-speed Internet access in the guest rooms. For fans of Starbucks (we are not), there is one location in the WB. During our visit, the WB was still operating its shuttle van to the Hotel Vancouver. This is good for shoppers in the Burrard/Robson/West Georgia area.

After check-in, we dined in the Seawall Bar and Grill, formerly the site of Trader Vic’s. Sadly and regrettably, it closed, I believe, in 1996. My wife and I always enjoyed seafood dishes there from the extensive, high-quality menu and the legendary Mai Tai after dinner. We remember the restaurant’s gracious staff and superb service. This time, we enjoyed our seafood dinner in the Seawall Bar and Grill’s bar section, served by a competent and obliging waiter, because the grill part would have required us to queue, and we were quite hungry.

Following dinner, I swam for about 30 minutes lengths in the indoor pool (featuring a huge mural with orcas and natives in canoes, meeting probably Captain George Vancouver’s (in 1792) or Captain Cook’s sailboat (in1778). The next morning I swam for another 30 minutes in the large circular outdoor pool, on whose deck one can order drinks and food from the Seawall Bar and Grill. Beside it, the WB no longer has a fine-dining restaurant – perhaps a sign of the time, as many hotel guests prefer off-site dining, which is very accessible in the hotel’s vicinity and in the Burrard/West Georgia area up the street.

While I am not recommending any of the following restaurants in the neighbourhood of the WB, there is Lift Bar Grill View on the water’s edge right next to the WB; so is Cardero’s Restaurant & Marine Pub, a stone throw away (also on the water’s edge). Both restaurants are attracting mainly the younger generation. I would not frequent them without reservations. Then, there is nearby Denman Street with oodles of restaurants.
If one walks from the WB up Cardero Street to West Georgia, one can catch city buses for North and West Vancouver as well as Horsehoe Bay. For bicycle-aficionados, “wheels” can be rented near the WB. A long Seawall combination bicycle path and walkway (passing by the WB) allows energetic guests to work-off calories they loaded-up on in the WB.

At breakfast at WB’s “Currents”, featuring a panoramic view of the Coal Harbour marina and rowing club; Stanley Park, including Cypress Mountain and Mount Seymour in West and North Vancouver, respectively, we found that the ample and very good buffet offered far better value than juice, coffee and some pastry a la carte at nearly the same price. Hot oatmeal or cream of wheat are part of the buffet, although only upon request.

As we had another hotel reservation on the second day, we left the WB toward noon. As usual, check-out was quick and our hotel bill accurate. We are hoping to return soon.

Room Tip: Rooms in the Tower and those on upper floors in the main building with views onto Coal Harbour and S...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We always enjoy going to the Westin Bayshore. Even though we live in Vancouver, sometimes we just like to "staycation" and this is the place to do it. Beautiful location on the waterfront near Stanley Park. Relaxing, pampering atmosphere (love the spa!); Restaurant is fantastic for breakfast, brunch or lunch. Not the least expensive place in town but worth every penny. Staff is very friendly and professional.

Room Tip: Rooms on the mountains/water side are worth the extra $ and are quieter.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I have to give this hotel 5 stars. The location is superb, right on the waterfront and very close to Dtanley Park. Make sure you ask for a room on the 10th floor or above for the best views - they will accommodate you (pardon the pun) if you ask (and if they have a room). The room we had was very spacious with 2 Queen Beds and the "Heavenly" beds and are simply heavenly!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Westin Bayshore, Vancouver? Share your experiences!