“Excellent stay. Fantastic staff.. Best hotel experience.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Coast Coal Harbour Hotel

Save Saved
You added Coast Coal Harbour Hotel to your Saves list
Coast Coal Harbour Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1180 West Hastings Street, Vancouver, British Columbia V6E 4R5, Canada (Downtown)   |
Ranked #11 of 96 hotels in Vancouver
“Excellent stay. Fantastic staff.. Best hotel experience.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

I recently stayed in this hotel with my girlfriend on a trip from England for just a week. On arrival the staff were extremely friendly and spent time advising us where the nearest places were for food etc. We did arrive expecting just one double bed in our room and found 2 beds in our room.. I went down to the front desk to question this and it seemed that our travel agent had booked it incorrectly and it was not the hotels fault. We were offered an upgrade to a King room on the 18th floor with an Ocean view for just $210extra, and it was well worth it. The views were incredible. We could see the ocean, city and the mountains perfectly (even on the days when we didn't have fantastic weather.. Rainy and cloudy, but still a beautiful view).

The staff on the doors were great and very helpful, opening the taxi doors for us and offering to carry any luggage we had with us, as well as being smiley and chatty.

Back to the front desk staff.. They were always extremely helpful and friendly, especially Jeremy Poster (Head Office, he deserves more than a gold star for the level of customer service he has provided to us during our stay, he was amazing!!)
Jeremy went above and beyond what he needed to do to provide us with outstanding customer service. He regularly helped us out on where to go and what to do with our day, even providing us with advice on tickets and places we should visit, including Grouse Mountain, Capliano Suspension Bridge, Granville Island and Stanley Park. He and even spent time writing down his personal recommendations on restaurants and bars, including Catch 122.

The beds were comfortable (maybe too comfortable at times, when we wanted to be up for an early day and couldn't get up!)
The rooms were clean, and were cleaned every day. Fresh bed linen and towels were provided along with new shampoo, conditioner, body wash, body cream and other complimentary bathroom nick nacks!
The room was quiet and we never had any disturbances from our neighbours or the lift. Peaceful :)
The room also came with a coffee machine and fresh coffee, tea, hot chocolate, herbal teas etc but we rarely used it as the coffee was too strong for our taste and being typically British, the tea wasn't now we like it! The hot chocolate however was good.

On our last day we arrived back to a bottle of Merlot , 2 glasses and a card from Coast Coal Harbour Hotel saying "enjoy your last night from the Front Staff.. I couldn't believe it, it was such a nice surprise. Really lovely!

We, both together and individually have never received such a high level of customer service in a hotel.

During our stay in Vancouver we have constantly been saying we don't want to leave. How it's such a wonderful place and how everyone is so incredibly friendly here.. The Coast Coal Harbour staff have been a massive influencing factor on that and we will 150% be recommending it to our friends and family. If we come back again as a visitor then we will definitely be staying here!!!

Thanks for an amazing time and experience!

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
NeshaMilicevic, Director of Operations at Coast Coal Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you for choosing The Cost Coal Harbour Hotel for your recent stay in Vancouver. We greatly appreciate that you took the time to write the review about the hotel and our Ambassadors. Our guests’ satisfaction is our main priority and we are truly happy to see that we managed to make your visit to Vancouver more enjoyable. We hope to see you again soon.

797 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights while attending a conference across the street at another hotel. The rate I paid was almost $30 less than other hotels of similar calibre in the area. Overall, I enjoyed my stay as what I'm typically looking for is a clean hotel with friendly staff. The location was ideal as it was within walking distance of downtown attractions, Gastown, and Waterfront Transit station (allowing easy access to Skytrain).

PROS: everything looked like it was recently renovated;
room and common areas were very clean & well maintained;
bed was very comfy;
every staff member I encountered was friendly;
great location (walking distance to many downtown attractions, Gastown, seawall; "Urban Fare" a half-block away, which was great for snacks and meals);
beautiful (partial) view of Coal Harbour from 20th floor;
well-appointed workout facilities that didn't seem to be used much as it was empty each time I went;
recycling AND compost bins in the room! Loved this as it really enforced their "eCoast" green initiatives.

CONS: rumblings of elevator (motor) could be heard from my room on the 20th floor (Rm 2012)...loud enough to wake me up (but I'm a light sleeper);
expensive parking (valet guy told me it was close to $40/night after taxes...thankfully, I didn't bring my car);
paper-thin door...could hear our neighbours returning from evening festivities (ok..maybe they were a little drunk & extra loud!)
didn't want to try the room service because the prices were quite steep.

Bottom line: clean, friendly, great location...I would recommend the Coast Coal Harbour to my best friend ;)

Room Tip: Light sleeper? Don't stay on the top floor! You'll hear the elevator's motor rumbling!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
NeshaMilicevic, Director of Operations at Coast Coal Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for the review and valuable feedback, good to see that the meeting went well and your stay with us was good overall.
Banff National Park, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Great location, great food and great staff - especially the staff was fantastic. This hotel is not only excellent for an individual traveller or couples, but also one of the best hotel for conferences. The food during the conference was outstanding. It is my hotel of choice when staying in Vancouver from now on and I highly recommend it to anybody staying in Vancouver, especially on business.
Stayed at many great Coast hotels before but the Coast Coal Harbour is definitely the best Coast Hotel and one of the best Vancouver hotels in general.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Great to hear that your meeting went well and you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for the recommendation and for taking the time to write a review.
Alert Bay, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

As always the staff takes good care of my visiting needs while I am busy in meetings.
The concierge is always freindly and has a great sense of humour.
The staff take care of you personally instead of making you wait for department staff.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review, we are glad to see that you enjoyed your stay.
Williams Lake
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Just came back from a trip to Vancouver and stayed at the Coast Coal Harbour for one night. The staff is truly amazing, I arrived early in the morning for some meetings and did not expect to get my room right away, but within 2 minutes I was checked in and already had a room!
The meeting rooms are very nice and the food was absolutely fantastic.
Of course I had to check out the gym and the outdoor pool and hot tub, so nice to have all that available.
It was not my first time to stay at this hotel, just never had a chance to write a review. Definitely looking forward to staying here again! I always felt very welcomed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
NeshaMilicevic, Director of Operations at Coast Coal Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, nice to hear that your stay and meetings went well! We are looking forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel.
London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

WOW... what a wonderful location! I was attending a small conference in Vancouver and was happy to see that the location of the Coast Coal Harbour Hotel was so close to the beautiful waterfront. With excellent restaurants all around (Coradero for one!). The best was the ballroom that had floor to ceiling widows that were two storeys high. It had a lovely view of Coal Harbour (although not huge, it was still lovely).

As a presenter, at the conference, the set up was nice and the rooms were not too small though there was another to chose from that was larger but did not have a view.

The food was very good although I was a 'gluten-free' person and they seemed ill equipped to handle that request - something I found a bit surprising in this day and age. You cannot just provide a salad and say that it is gluten free. You need to provide some sort of protein too.

Overall, I thought he location was marvellous, the staff was very attentive, extremely helpful and professional. The rooms were excellent for presentations and the view with those floor-to-ceiling windows just wonderful. On a beautiful sunny day, it would have been spectacular (unfortunately, it rained all three days).

If you are planning an conference in Vancouver, DO NOT overlook the Coast Coal Harbour Hotel.

I am a blogger and all my opinions are my own. I did not receive compensation of any sort for this review!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
NeshaMilicevic, Director of Operations at Coast Coal Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our conference facilities, we will certainly explore more gluten free options. Happy to hear that the conference went well, hopefully we will have some sunshine available for the next one!

Nesha Milicevic (Mr.)
Director of Operations
Mobile, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I visited Vancouver for the first time for 3 days prior to a Celebrity Cruise which began in Vancouver. I searched for a hotel downtown that was not too far from Canada Place and other portside attractions. My tendency was to play it "safe" and go for a familiar hotel, but I'm glad I didn't! The Coast Coal Harbour Hotel was a real pleasure. Very new, very pretty, and a great location that allowed us to walk a lot and easy access to public transportation. The staff was very helpful, even when we checked in after midnight! The rooms were very spacious and nicely appointed. A great bathroom (excellent shower) with all the niceties you need. We ate breakfast every morning in the hotel restaurant and enjoyed all our meals. And, the price was SOOOO RIGHT! Less than the Holiday Inn further from the harbor and so much nicer (based on other TA reviewers, that is!). I highly recommend the hotel and I'll try others in the NW when I can.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
NeshaMilicevic, Manager at Coast Coal Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
We appreciate your review; it is nice to see that you enjoyed our city and the Hotel.

Nesha Milicevic (Mr.)
Director of Operations

Been to Coast Coal Harbour Hotel? Share your experiences!