“Inventive Dining Experience and Chance to Sample Many Exceptional Dishes.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Quercia

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations
Cortlandt Manor
“Inventive Dining Experience and Chance to Sample Many Exceptional Dishes.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

Our party of 4 thoroughly enjoyed Chef Adam Pegg's seven-course dinner served family style. Chef chooses the items--the "chef's menu"--based on our selection of red Italian wine, and then the food followed. Appropriate size portions.

Inventive dining experience and chance to sample many exceptional dishes.

Most memorable items were the Burrata Salad, Stinging Nettle Agnolotti (a stand-out dish similar to Handmade Ricotta Ravioli), Pappardelle with Lamb, and Pork Chop with Sausage and Peas.

Service was attentive...not too fast or slow on this Sunday evening.

Seating is tight (cozy?) with about dozen tables close together like a New York City restaurant. Would not suggest for a group larger than about six.

Dinner with taxes and wine was about $100 per person (not including tip)

Located in Kitsilano section on 4th at Alma. Dinner only. Closed Monday. Will open for lunch for private functions.

Tip: Book on an off-nite other than Friday or Saturday for best service experience.

See pics.

Visited June 2014

Vancouver, Canada
“Oh!! So gooood!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Husband took me to this restaurant for a special occasion because I LOVE pasta! We did the 7 course secret menu. It was beyond our expectations! Ingredients were fresh; they play with your palates! It's awesome! Compared with other fine dining, I don't think this is an expensive place. Definitely will come back for special occasions since their menu is different everyday!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Wonderful meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

My wife, adult daughter and I visited on a Tuesday evening and had a wonderful dining experience. The service was attentive and extremely friendly. After much discussion, we opted for the 7 course chef's menu. While my wife and I eat everything, our daughter is a pescatarian which proved not to be a problem. All three appetizers were outstanding - perhaps most remarkable was an asparagus panna cotta - so light and airy and the asparagus was not at all overpowering. The two pasta dishes were also wonderful including a terrific gnocci. The entre was a combination of grilled and house smoked sable which was also delicious. We also put our wine choice in the hands of our server, and she recommended a wonderful Italian cabernet that complemented our food extremely well. All in all, a delightful dining experience from beginning to end.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Vancouver, Canada
“Laughable service and mediocre food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

This restaurant moved from "neighborhood" to "destination joint" after some significant awards catapulted it to fame in the last few years. Unfortunately, La Quercia is a case of "got too big for its boots". On arrival, we were instructed by the waiter that the 6 of us (three adult couples) had to eat family style. With that instruction behind us, we asked if we could perhaps chose some entrees which we liked and were rebuffed immediately.

The dinner was initiated with an anti-pasta platter which looked like last night's leftovers. For the vegetarians at the table, the veal tongue was a hit. What followed was a yellow blob which looked like a bath sponge, but frankly couldn't match a sponge for taste. A pasta dish of sorts followed and quite frankly, I lost track at that point, as I spent the next 20 minutes imagining our waiter as the back-up to the soup nazi on Seinfeld. Every question we asked him resulted in a brief silence, a grimace, a condescending response and an about turn towards the kitchen. All in all, a very poor effort from a supposedly superior restaurant. It was our 5th time at La Quercia, and we now have reached the trough of the slippery slope we have been noticing on each subsequent visit. I have better things to do with my time and money, although, it was all rather amusing.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Adelaide, Australia
“Superb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

Visiting from well out of town and catching up with friends and La Quercia was suggested by our local friends so a booking was made. I had some hesitations with what I first interpreted as a "set menu" but I was shown to be completely wrong.

4 Adults, 2 boys 11 & 14 - we went with the 7 course option putting our trust in the restaurant completely. The food was brilliant, excellent, superb and any other complimentary adjective I can think of. The service matched the food and whilst there weren't "socially chatty" conversations with the staff the talk centred around the food and the wines we were drinking. They even went to the trouble of matching dishes to the wine we selected. Initially we selected from their excellent wine list but we also made this a little hard for them by bringing along a bottle of a Barossa Valley Shiraz (they allow you to bring your own wine for a corkage fee).

Brilliant evening, excellent food and a MUST to visit again when I'm next in Vancouver!

• Visited January 2014