“Classy and Casual” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Refinery

The Refinery
1115 Granville Street, Vancouver, British Columbia V6Z 1M1, Canada (Downtown)
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Refinery is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #508 of 2,895 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Tapas
Dining options: Reservations, Private Dining
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 1115 Granville Street
Transit: Granville and Yaletown skytrain stations within 5 minute walk.
Vancouver
“Classy and Casual”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

After reading such fantastic reviews, I decided to try out the Refinery myself, and I was very much impressed!

I took my boyfriend here for our monthly dinner date, and right away was impressed by the decor. The restaurant itself is small, but the design has a cool feel to it, while remaining quite comfortable. We sat in the back room at a little table for two, which I really liked the windows and candles in. Despite it being seven thirty on a Friday night, things were pretty quiet.

Our server was friendly, very attentive, and knowledgeable about the menu. Not at all overbearing and was honest about the kitchen staff being new: she told us if anything came out even slightly incorrect to just let her know, so I appreciated this. We had one plate brought out to us by another server, who unfortunately had almost no idea about the dish he was serving (and this was one that you needed to know everything on it), which was a small blip in the service aspect. Other than that, though, everything was great.

Onto the food! We started with the mixed board, which was two cheeses (blue cheese and an aged cheddar), two meats (cured sliced pork and buffalo salami), and an assortment of extras (sliced apple, apricot jam, walnuts and dried figs), served with croistinis. While I personally wasn't a fan of the pork, I adored the buffalo salami and thought the blue cheese was just perfect with the apricot jam. We then moved onto two of their bruchettas: one caramelized onion and goat cheese, and one garlic aoli and egg. Both were delicious! I particularly loved the garlic and egg one, since the egg was cooked perfectly and the aoli was really great. Under their "tapas" menu, we shared the seared scallops, roasted duck, and scalloped potatoes. I'd say that the scalloped potatoes were my favourite, and my boyfriend loved the scallops (I never like scallops so this isn't my forte, haha); while the duck was great in the middle pieces, I found it to be overcooked a little. That said, though, the red wine reduction it was served with was super flavourful and it was still a delicious dish. Finally, we finished off with the meatballs; we were worried they would be heavy, but they were the lightest, fluffiest meatballs I've ever eaten! Extremely delicious. I'd go back just for the sake of having these.

Drinks wise, my boyfriend had two beers (one on tap, the other bottled; I can't remember which they were, sadly), and I had a Georgian Lemonade cocktail and a Fruli. The cocktail was perfect mix of sweet and sour. I'd love to try more of their creations :)

We opted out of dessert because they only had two options (and we had been craving Thierry, haha), but for everything we had, including drinks, the bill came up to just $115. Considering we practically rolled out of the restaurant because we were so full, this is an amazing price. The food is great quality, the room is charming and relaxed, the service is friendly and warm and all in all, the experience was a good one. I can't wait to come back and try out some more tapas!

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Toronto, Canada
“Hidden Treasure!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

As a visitor to Vancouver I was looking through the hotel's booklets and noticed this little ad for The Refinery which was nearby. So glad I took a chance - great tapas foods, reminded me of restaurants in Europe, fabulous wine selection and great "vibe".

Have recommended to many friends travelling to Van and plan to go back next time I'm in town!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas
“I just rocked with the best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

At the stroke of midnight I wanted to bring my birthday in with a bang! Thank God I choose the right place. I was told to go upstairs to "Sip" to lounge. The DJ was playing 90s R&B I was in heaven. The champagne and desert I had were great too. I was so sad they weren't open on my actual birthday night but I grooved all night long to the sounds of DJ Chris.

Visited February 2013
North Vancouver
“Hospitality and great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We took our son here for his birthday and missed the Dine Out Vancouver by one day. The manager, who clearly did not want us to be disappointed, comp'ed us the lovely mixed charcuterie board. The bartender knows his work and made us cocktails we enjoyed. It was discount night on bourbon so I had a manhattan. The four of us shared the meatballs, bacon and eggs (pork belly and quail's eggs) green beans and scalloped potatoes (like you've never had before) and the gnocchi. Every one was a hit. It was a small menu but there are sure enough things we have not tried before to bring us back. But whenever we come back we'll have the scalloped potatoes again.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“A real treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We went to the Refinery with a Living Social coupon that was too amazing to pass up. It was our first time here, and the prices are quite high, but the quality of food and the designer cocktails need to be tried! They specialize in small plates with big taste! If you're looking for a special occasion venue, this is it... though the environment is more bright and fun than "romantic".

Visited August 2012