“Good location, otherwise not great” 2 of 5 stars
Review of St Clair Hotel - Hostel

St Clair Hotel - Hostel
You added St Clair Hotel - Hostel to your Saves list
St Clair Hotel - Hostel
1.5 of 5 Hostel   |   577 Richards St, Vancouver, British Columbia V6B 2Z5 , Canada (Downtown)   |
Helsinki, Finland
“Good location, otherwise not great”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Make no mistake, this is definitely not a hotel. Even by hostel standards it's quite poor, with no proper kitchen, cramped bathrooms, and very basic rooms. Apart from the location this place doesn't have much going for it, but if you're only looking for a place to sleep for a few nights, at least it's cheap enough. Personally I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Tracy, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We stayed in this hostel for 2 nights and were very disappointed. It did not seem all that clean, showers were gross. We were given a room right by reception and it was INCREDIBLY loud at night with people yelling at each other right outside our door in the hallway. It was also very loud on the street outside. Its in a semi-nice location, within walking distance of popular streets in Vancouver. However, parking is extremely expensive and the hostel is not very helpful in finding parking. I parked in a garage up the street between Dunsmuir and West George, it was about $16 a day, but i'm pretty sure it was the safest/cheapest. Would not stay here again.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
NewYork
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I spent two days in this St Clair hotel (August 10th-12th/ 2nights and 3days/total $147) --- me and my boo chose this hotel because of the location seems convenient. BUT WE DIDNT PAY FOR THE BEDBUGGGGG!!! First night and second night, both night we saw the bedbugs, crawling on our bed sheet. (When I opend my eyes in the first morning, one bedbug is right next to me head and the other one was on the floor. GROSSSSS) And worst part-- when we kill one of them on the wall, that bedbug popped with blood(that probably mine)!!! We are trying to complain about this on the second day-- but they are NOT always there, 24hours. We had a busy schedule and just left but definitely we both strongly agreed that we need to write a review for this hotel.

Cheap facilities, molding and funky smell, parking was not even available(we paid for the parking at private parking spot as this hotel suggested), but it's all okay, we pay for what we paid. But Bedbug --- I've been travel alot, and this is my first place where I able to meet the bedbugs group. We both couldnt sleep well. I freaked out because I worried that I might bring those bug with my suitcase to NYC. I would NEVER, EVER come back here again!!!!!!!!!

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Prineville, Oregon, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

The St. Clair Hotel-Hostel is in the perfect location for exploring Vancouver. It is nicely restored. The private rooms are great. I loved the ship stained glass above each door. The staff was extremely helpful with everything. It was clean and the beds were comfortable. For the price you can't beat it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Port Motueka, Nelson, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

A group of us stayed here in July. The lack of AC was a bit of an issue, but not a major problem. The place is fine, rooms were clean, and as long as you don't mind dragging your bags up a few stairs, it is a an ok place to stay.

Room Tip: try to get a room at the back of the building, and preferably not on the top story! unless you like...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Indian Head, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

I can see how people wouldn't like it if they were looking for a hotel, but for a hostel its great! The rooms are fine and clean. There is internet that kind of works. Seems there are enough bathrooms and showers. The beds are squeaky. Just a heads up, there is no AC. There are computers that you can use for $0.50 per half hour, but they look like they are from the late 90's. The windows in the rooms open which is good o account of no AC. The showers were a little dirty. They are communal, 2 on each floor. The rooms have a sink in them and lock with a key. I was sharing a room with 2 other guys that I know so it was nice to be able to lock the door. The guys at the desk seemed helpful. I would stay here again. Great for the price, not for luxury.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012 via mobile

We have stayed twice now in a private double and liked it just fine. It isn't a life and sole of the party hostel but it's nice to chill out and really well located and great value for money. The rooms and beds are perfectly clean (and we even had a telly) but the showers and (sadly very limited) cooking areas could do with a bit of a scrub but saying that I was not disgusted. The more we stayed the more I liked it.

• Stayed June 2012

Been to St Clair Hotel - Hostel? Share your experiences!