“was accused of lying to get free cheese” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Speakeasy On Granville

Speakeasy On Granville
921 Granville Street, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada (Downtown)
(604) 685-5531‎
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,207 of 2,846 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Bar
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Downtown
Vancouver, Canada
“was accused of lying to get free cheese”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

Ate here once last summer. I ordered a burger that was supposed to have cheese on it. A few bites in, I realized that the cheese had been forgotten. I asked the server if I could get a some cheese on the side to put into my burger myself, but she returned from the kitchen emptyhanded and looking sheepish. Apparently, the chef insisted that he HAD put cheese on my burger and said I would have to pay for extra. When I showed her my cheese-less burger again, she said, "I'm sorry, but you'll have to pay for more cheese." She looked embarrassed. I asked to speak to the manager and she told me that the chef was in charge (it was mid afternoon and I was the only customer, hence the bare-bones staff). I asked her if he was suggesting that I had eaten the cheee off the burger and was trying to scam them for free cheese and she shrugged and said, "I don't know what he thinks." I've never got my cheese and I never went back.

• Visited July 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Vancouver Island BC Canada eh.
“Worst Service ever- and we didnt even get in the door!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

We stopped here to have a bite to eat. It was close to the downtown comfort inn and it was one of the few relatively quiet locations we came across. It was my birthday and we were hoping to have dinner and a few drinks. We approached the young woman who I am guessing was the hostess this particular evening (this was december 3rd 2011 around 8:00). She asked how many in our party (it was just my husband and I) so we told her just the two of us. So she stared at her little seating map for a good minute or two before responding that she could 'fit us in" but that we would have to eat our meal at the bar. I said we would rather a table but she said they didnt have any available. As we left,we walked by we could see at LEAST 5, four person tables available inside-- let alone all the empty tables that werent attended! I understand when there is a huge lineup, wanting to fill up your tables if you can rather than allowing two people to sit at a table for four or six, but when you have NO customers-- well that is just poor business practice. We can't comment on the food, prices or atmosphere there but we carried on to the Olympia Bar and Grill about ten feet away and had FABULOUS food and service there!

• Visited December 2011
London
“Central location, lots of breakfast options”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

Went here for a quick breakfast, food was pretty good, plenty of it, and service was friendly. Appreciated that when we asked about waffles the waitress told us they didn't make them in-house, so we didn't order them and were grateful for the honesty. Good location too.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“best food on granville”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

love this bar, been there with 14 other friends on sat night and had a great time . we all ate and food was really good friendly staff and tons of beers on tappppppp! i will be back!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“Ridicilous service with unacceptable staff!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

It was my boyfriend's birthday on the 13th of August when we decided to visit Speakeasy for the second time. I first went there the weekend before , after the fireworks. Needless to say, I was not satisfied with the service from the start, the only reason I went back for the second time because I figured the waitress had a bad day , and also did not think everyone else would be so snobby.

We arrived to Speakeasy on Saturday night with 4 of us, including myself. I have informed the guy at the door that there will be approx. 6 more people coming. I bought a small cake for my boyfriend and thought we'd share it before the 4 of us. I've informed the waitress (short, long brown hair, toned skin) to keep it fresh for us because we'll be eating it soon. She said it will be $5.00 per plate in order to bring it to our table because it was taken into the bar from outside. I could NOT understand what she was saying so I kept on asking her to repeat it. I assume she got fed up with my poor understanding and I could just tell on her behaviour that I am NOT going to have a good night. You know when you can just tell that you're being served like an animal? they way they talk to you?, or the way they serve you? - well that's exactly the way I felt about her. Anyhow...It did not make any sense to me WHY I should be paying to eat our cake. Even if there was a fee for bringing it into their bar, why make it $5.00/person?!?! are you kidding me? Should I be telling my friends, "HEY ,IF YOU WANNA HAVE A PIECE OF THE CAKE IT WILL COST YOU $5.00 , BUT THANKS FOR COMING OUT??!?!?!?!?" - obviously I wouldn't have been able to pay for all 11 of us. I have agreed to pay the fee for each one of us; however I asked if the birthday person is going to be charged for that? First, she did not seem to know the answer, and second she hesitated to answer. The waitress then answered like this " okay, yeah, I won't charge the birthday person". This seemed a little tricky to me, as if she was about to keep that $15.00(fee for the 3 of us) to herself.
We started eating the cake but a 5th person showed up. I must mention, at this time we have been handed out 4 plates and 4 culteries. Our 5th friend has shown up and I decided that I will give my share of the cake to him and share my boyfriend's slice so that we don't have to ask my 5th friend to pay $5.00 because that would've been a history to explain.
After all of our friends arriving , having the time of our life, with the worst customer service I've ever dealt with, we asked for the bill. When the waitress brought it out to us I checked if she charged the right amount, Of course, she has charged me 4 plates=$20.00 for the plates (for the cake) instead of 3 plates = $15, 3 for my friends ,not including the birthday boy and the 5th friend who technically had my plate ; therefore there should've been only 3 people charged which would've been $15.00 . I immidiately questioned her , and she just said in an angry tone " well I gave you 5 plates because there were 5 of you". I ,of course, have raised my voice too and became firm becuase I felt like I was being treated as if i'm stupid. After wasting my times, which should've been spent with my friends and boyfriend (who was standing with us at that time while we're celebrating his bday) , she has sarcastically told me "that is okay I will not charge you if that makes you happy". I replied to her " yes, cause I will not pay for something that is not fair".

To conclude my recent experience at Speakeasy, I would like to mention that the most important role in a business is customer service. Without that, you will not get far. As I was reasearching on your reviews I've noticed that a lot of people have complained in regards to staff of Speakeasy. My boyfriend's birthday would've been absolutely unforgettable if this whole incident wouldn't have happened infront of right him. He has recently lost a friend, and all we wanted to do is have a bit of fun after a very stressful week. Thanks to your staff, I was not only frustrated that night because of that hilarious cake service you came up with, but also because of ruining my boyfriend's birthday mood with a snobby waitress who clearly does not belong to the customer service industry. Needless to say, my boyfriend was kind enough to still tip her after paying to eat our own cake , "$5.00 each" , HOW RIDICILOUS. I won't be surprised if you start charging for using your nasty, stinky, washroom....

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere