“Great food, okay service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Miku

Miku
70-200 Granville St | Corner of Canada Way and Howe St, Vancouver, British Columbia V6C 2R6, Canada (Downtown)
+1 604-568-3900
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Miku is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 2,763 Restaurants in Vancouver
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Doing business, Special occasions, Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Howe Street & Canada Place Way
Description: We specialize in Aburi, or flamed-seared sushi, which was developed nearly a century ago in Japan. The act of applying fire directly and lightly sear is known to enhance the natural flavors of the fish. Miku owner, Seigo Nakamura, innovated the Aburi concept by creating speciality sauces, using non-traditional Japanese ingredients, to complement the unique taste properties of each fish. Miku Restaurant is within walking distance from the Pan Pacific Hotel, Canada Place, Trade & Exhibition Centre, IMAX Theatre, Cruise Ship Terminals and Sea Bus. If shopping downtown, join us for lunch and re-energize. It's entrance is at the corner of Howe Street and Canada Place Way, overlooking the east cruiseship terminal at Canada Place. **Please note: We do not take reservations for the patio as it is a first come, first serve basis. We also only will hold reservations for an additional 15 minutes.
Toronto, Canada
“Great food, okay service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

Came in for lunch recently and the food was amazing. Sad to say, Not so much for the service.

First off, I have to say that the room is fabulous. Waterfront views if the north shore mountains, the port of Vancouver and North Vancouver.

If you are planning on going to Miku, make sure you reserve early and request a window seat. They do let you know that it's not a promise but they can only try. I found it quite polite and honest. They are not saying no to your request but as a guest, people probably request window seating all the time.

We came in for lunch. I have to say it was a little bit expensive but it was well worth it. Some of us shared the Miku Zen ($27), a selection of 4 smaller plates, accompanied by a miso soup and their famous Aburi Sushi. Their famous roll just melts in your mouth, almost an explosion because it was so good. I had the scallops and prawns, though smaller than the zen, it was a perfect size as I have a smaller appetite.

Now, the not so fortunate part. The service was okay hence I'm only giving this a 4/5. Service is everything to me, after rating the food and scenery.

We were politely greeted at the door, though it was super busy so there wasn't enough help at the door. A bunch of groups walked in at the same time and we were the last one of the bunch so it took about 10 minutes as the ladies were rushing back and forth to help everyone. So surprised to see no one else helping except the lone manager, as he was taking charge and putting out fires.

We sat in a booth by the sushi bar, we did not mind sitting here as we actually got to see the 'action' from the sushi chefs. They would torch or Aburi their sushi, rolls and nigiri.

We got greeted by a flustered Japanese girl who was a bit rude. She had a small tattoo on her arm, and her pronunciation of some Japanese words were perfect hence I think she Japanese. Though it was busy so we understood, as we started asking her questions, she started to dismiss our questions and just said "do you just want 6 Miku zens? It's the easiest." Most of the guest just took her suggestion but we wanted to try many things but we shared a zen instead and we ordered others things without her help.

The server was sweet but she just wasn't up to par compared to the other servers that I saw coming around. She was majority of the times unattentive. The manager dropped off the food and explained everything very well, but at no point did she ask how our food was. We were still hungry and she didn't even know. Eventually we wanted to order another of some more sushi so we had to flag down a manager after waiting 10 minutes. I'm glad I got his attention because after that, we continued to visit our table to ensure everything was perfect.

We did tell him about our server and he apologized, he said that he would ensure the rest of our meal was above and beyond, and trust me, it was. He told us on a tour of the room, explained the paintings and showed us their private room also. He made up for every little mistake our server made. We never saw our server again until we paid the bill, she asked how everything was and we said" your manager saved your butt today." And she didn't even say thank you for coming.

I would definitely suggest Miku as a restaurant, and should something happen, at least you know that their management team is there to listen and help ensure the rest of the meal is enjoyable.

Prince George, Canada
“Outstanding!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

Went for a late lunch thanks to a delayed flight arrival, and we left just before dinner. It was fantastic! The service was great and very accomadating since we all still had our luggage, and the food was delicious. We sat at the bar and asked the head chef to just make us up whatever he felt like making. this is the way sushi should be eaten. every dish was a fantastic surprise, not to mention the magnum of saki that was recommended by one of the other chefs. We had a great time, and we will be sure to visit again!

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

great staff , very efficiently run , great ambience and delicious food , we went there twice , reasonably priced as well .

Visited November 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
“Incredible”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Vancouver is known for it's sushi and this restaurant did not disappoint. I got all their "specials" and they were unreal. I highly recommend this restaurant. The staff were extremely accommodating.

Visited November 2013
Victoria, Canada
“Subarashi!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Yep, wonderful! This was a great restaurant, wonderful view, superb service and some of the best food we've had in a while. We picked it due to Tripadvisor rating it #2. So right.
Four Winnipegers served by (surprise) a Winnipeger. We had a fabulous lunch here. The gyoza were great, especially the pickled onions. Two of us had the Aburi Chirashi Tart...what can I say? Subarashi! The other meals were equally good, which I tasted, but the tart won me over and I kind of went into a zone enjoying the meal. SO good.

• Visited November 2013