“Tasty Italian cuisine experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cibo Trattoria

Cibo Trattoria
900 Seymour Street, Vancouver, British Columbia V6B 3L9, Canada (Granville Street)
604.602.9570
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Cibo Trattoria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #176 of 3,313 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Granville Street
Cross street: Smithe (kitty-corner to The Orpheum Theatre)
Transit: SKYTRAIN. From Vancouver City Ctr Station (Canada Line) or Granville Station (Expo/Millenium Line). Exit on Granville and walk 2 blocks west (towards Winners sign). Turn left at Smithe and walk to Seymour. You'll see Uva Wine Bar at the corner. We're just on the right at 900 Seymour. Time: Approx. 10 minutes walking.
Description: Located in the chic Moda Hotel in the heart of downtown Vancouver’s arts and cultural district, Cibo Trattoria is the ideal destination for an enjoyable dining experience and memorable evening out in the city. True to the trattoria aspect of its name, Cibo’s 50 seat, cozy dining room is the perfect spot for any occasion or social gathering; where patrons enjoy casual, rustic Italian cuisine in a warm, inviting atmosphere.FRESH. ORGANIC. LOCAL. SEASONAL. Cibo Trattoria specializes in authentic Italian cuisine made with same-day fresh and local ingredients. Cibo is truly one of a kind when it comes to sustainability and the use of organic products; we are 100% committed to this movement.
Toronto, Canada
“Tasty Italian cuisine experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Went in a group for dinner. A nice and simple menu with of course Italian specialties. The Tagliatelle with beef and pork meatballs was nice and the pasta correctly cooked.
The wine list ha a good selection of wines from all over the world at affordable prices.
A good dinner experience.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Igal A

Fort Langley, Canada
“Good ambience and food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Cibo Trattoria offers Italian cuisine in the traditional Italian style with antipasto, prima and carne menu selections. The food is well prepared and nicely presented. Located across from the Orpheum Theatre, it's a very popular dining spot for people attending the theatre. Cibo offers a 3-course pre-concert set menu which is very tasty. The service was very good. The only thing I didn't like is that there is a $2 surcharge per person for water, not bottled water but tap water! Given that our bill was $100, this seemed a bit unnecessary. However that did not detract from our dining experience.

• Visited May 2013
Edmonton, Canada
“Nouveau Italian cuisine?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Six of us (3 couples) went here because it was promoted in Cheap Eats Vancouver and served Italian. So we were a bit shocked when we saw the prices... they're not cheap, not exorbitant, definitely average... so much for our first motivator. We talked about the menu items and each ordered a primo. Two of us ordered gnocchi. We had a variety of bruschetta for starters. Here we got our first taste of the nouveau streak at Cibo. Not the traditional tomato/garlic/parsley bruschetta, nope, these were designer bruschetta. When it comes to food, if it ain't broke don't fix it. That maxim certainly applies to the bruschetta; 'creative' combinations of elements that to my palate just didn't work well. My jaw dropped when the server arrived with my meal... two small cakes garnished with grilled broccoli and prosciutto. That's not the way my mamma made gnocchi! In fact it's not like any gnocchi I've ever seen! We learned later that they're made from semolina, Roman style, not the traditional potato base. I have to say they were tasty. My brother had risotto and the others a variety of pastas. The risotto was pretty good. The meatballs (with pasta) were very good. The other pastas were good too. I found the server a bit pushy in terms of up-selling which I never appreciate. The wine list is very extensive and on the expensive side. Not a lot of reds under $50. We had a great Valpolcella though. Another surprise was cover charge of $2 per person. In summary... good food but not what you'd expect.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“Good but a bit pricy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We are mostly vegan (though not super strict - it's not a religion) so finding a good place for dinner is always a challenge. We do lower our requirements when dining out and find dairy acceptable and occasionally, fish.
The room is modern and dark - lots of black including the napkins. There is a fireplace and in the summer the street windows hinge back and open onto the street. A nice room.

We had a (mainly) very tasty dinner here one rainy, Friday night. I had a nice salad with a sprinkling of goat cheese and my wife a spicy soup. The soup was boiling hot and required a considerable wait to cool down but once cooled was pronounced delicious.
For main course I had a nettle pasta with a light cheesy sauce which was delicious - unusual and something I would never have tried normally but the dish I went in for (as per the website) was unavailable. My wife had the risotto of which she only ate half as she complained it tasted sour - something with which I agreed. It was bordering on unpleasant. That is not to say there was anything wrong - just that it was not to either of our tastes. When the server was made aware of this she offered something else but when my wife said no, it was promptly removed from the bill without a fuss. This happens too seldom in restaurants and this gets them a big gold star; you should always stand behind your product.
For dessert a had the tiramisu and my wife the flourless chocolate cake. The cake was rich dark and excellent (though we still miss the chocolate pavé from the late Herald Street Caffe in Victoria which still remains our benchmark). The tiramisu which had the ladyfingers soaked in Grand Marnier was OK - just OK. It had too little mascarpone and too much whipped cream for my taste and although eminently edible would not rank in my top 100 desserts. The best I have ever had was Ron Lammie's tiramisu at Il Giardino (but that was 20 years ago I confess).
The wine was OK but magnificently over priced. The wine by the glass is 5oz rather than the standard 6oz and the prices were just silly.

This is a casual trattoria with no linens not an upscale white linen place. My takeaway feeling is that everything was a dollar or two over-priced (portions are small) and the wine particularly so.
Service was excellent but a bit slow initially and since we were almost the first customers I don't know how that happened.

As we left, the owner (or manager) apologized for the risotto and appeared genuinely upset and tried to ascertain exactly what was wrong, I assume with a view to fixing it.

All in all a pleasant and enjoyable dinner and we will return - we just won't order wine here ever again.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Vancanman64
Ontario
“Great Italian food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

Just had a wondrful meal at Cibo. The food was excellent and the service even better.

Prices are reasonable for the quality and the wine selection was great also.

The octopuss dish was excellent!

1 Thank TolouseKytzia