“Excellent food in a modern casual environment” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mandala IKI Asian Bistro - CLOSED

Mandala IKI Asian Bistro
2394 W 4th Ave, Vancouver, British Columbia V6K 1P1, Canada (Kitsilano)
604-734-3715
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Takeout
Neighborhood: Kitsilano
Vancouver, Canada
“Excellent food in a modern casual environment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Mandala Asian Bistro is a basic but comfortable restaurant that serves Japanese and Chinese dishes. I’ve eaten here at least ten times. It’s a good restaurant to go to meet friends; quiet enough to talk with bench seating and regular table seating. The décor isn’t particularly spectacular but it’s a modern design, clean and provides a comfortable ambiance.

I really like the variety of dishes so it’s sure to please anyone. I tend to have tuna sushi (they also have the choice of brown rice) which is really good. The goma-ae (spinach salad) is very tasty and I particularly enjoy the papaya, mango and avocado salad. I’ve tried a few items off of the menu and haven’t been disappointed with anything. The Chinese dishes are also very good and I have friends who like to meet there for lunch. The food tastes very fresh and there’s an extensive menu.

The service is good and the prices are quite reasonable. I would recommend this restaurant for a casual lunch or dinner.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Vancouver, Canada
“Excellent Value - Usually a Great Meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Since switching to brown rice at home about 5 years ago, I find white rice tastes too "synthetic". So, I'm always on the hunt for places that serve brown rice sushi.

Thus, I ran across Mandala a few years ago, and while not a 'regular', I make a point of dropping in from time to time.

First of all, this is not a high-end, fancy sushi experience with elaborate fusion dishes; it's very simple clean Japanese (and other) food. If you're going out with friends and someone at the table feels like chicken and broccoli rather than spicy tuna rolls, then this is the place to go to.

The food quality is good, considering the price point. But remember, this is not the place to go order sashimi if you're expecting an incredible hamachi experience. To the contrary, Mandala is where you'll want to stick to mainstream rolls when it comes to sushi.

As far as other dishes go, their yam fries are awesome (if not killer!) and they will substitute their beef and broccoli with chicken if you prefer --- a very clean, simple, healthy dish.

If you order conventional rolls and staple dishes you're going to have a good meal at a very good price.

Lastly, I am steering away from the "trantura" roll (yes, it's purposely spelled with an "R" rather than "L"); it used to taste quite good but during my most recent visit, the soft-shell crab wasn't right. They took it off my bill.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, B.C.,
“Healthy Asian”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

The "Healthy Asian" sign outside the restaurant seems more prominent than the restaurant's name and I couldn't see a list of their daily specials outside so I was a little apprehensive on my first visit. However, the menus was extensive, including Japanese, Chinese and Vietnamese dishes. The quality and quantity of servings were very acceptable so much so that I've had to ask for doggy bags occasionally. A nice, quiet gem in Kitsilano.

• Visited May 2012
Edmonton, Canada
“Repeat Customer...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

I've eaten at Mandala several times. I try to drop in there everytime I'm in Vancouver. I could eat at more expensive (and more tastefully decorated) restaurants, but the service is good, the food is good, and the prices are fantastic. Even though I'm on expenses, I can't pass up a deal like this. The amount of food you get for your money is crazy! I always order the sashimi bento box. It comes with edamame beans, salad, miso soup, tempura (lots), rice, beef teriyaki, sashimi, and sushi rolls. $13.50 for dinner, and better yet, the same box is only $11.50 at lunch. They only charge $4 for Japanese beers, too. I'm usually out of there with dinner, a beer, tip and tax, for around $20. Crazy reasonable. The quality is very good, so the value is outstanding. There are a number of higher-end sushi places in Vancouver, but I haven't found any offering so much food for so little money. I'll keep going back.

• Visited May 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver
“Good value, good quality!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2009

I'm pretty picky about sushi places and find that this one is good and is reasonably priced. I also love brown rice sushi which isn't that easy to find. They have both regular and brown rice. If you don't like sushi, there's also a wide assortment of cooked dishes, both Chinese and Japanese, and even some Vietnamese items. The only thing is that the service can be slow on busier nights.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere