“Great brunch, prepare to wait” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cafe Medina

Cafe Medina
780 Richards Street, Vancouver, British Columbia V6B 3A4, Canada (Downtown)
+1 604-879-3114
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #47 of 2,804 restaurants in Vancouver
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch
Neighborhood: Downtown
Roseville, California
“Great brunch, prepare to wait”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Had a lovely Sunday brunch with friends here. We arrived before they opened to a line already forming. Luckily we were seated with the first diners. The salted caramel waffle was crunchy and gooey, a piece of heaven early Sunday morning. Can also highly recommend the Paella eggs, it was a bit of Spain and California all in one skillet.

90% Recommend
Comox, Canada
“There's one, or two, in every city . . .”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

You know - that little boutique restaurant, specializing in breakfasts, usually in a reclaimed building, that everyone insists you try. On a recent visit to Vancouver, the 'kids' took my wife and I to Cafe Medina 556 Beatty Street. It was an easy walk from our hotel, The Met, and soon we were in that preprandial social event - the lineup. Only 45 minutes - good deal!! A very efficient version of the breakfast maitre-d' policed the crowd, regularly called and rechecked the roll and ushered us to our table for four, through the bowels of the building to a bright a cheery room with a view of - I forget. I was facing the wrong way. But it was cheery and there was a view. My wife had the cassoulet, for me, the paella and frequent sharing took place. I know, you're thinking paella for breakfast! Ah but it was crowned with a soft cooked poached egg and avocado. Great service, fun food, wonderful coffee - an excellent choice.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
San Francisco, California
“Wait for it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We went here for breakfast one of the days of our trip to take a break from the food cart marathon we were on. Somehow, we lucked out and arrived at the perfect time to be seated right away, but the lineup started shortly after. Even if we would have had to wait out in the rain, it definitely would have been worth it.
Service: super friendly and helpful
Food: outstanding breakfast & waffles (lunch offerings looked great, but we were there for the breakfast)
Coffee: excellent coffee and tea selection
Do the right thing and go eat here!

Visited June 2013
Columbus, Ohio, United States
“Best waffles!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

Waffles were delicious and for 3 bucks each you can get 3-4 without spending too much ( they're small). The toppings were pretty good- we tried the salty caramel, milk chocolate lavender (the lavender is strong with that one) , and the raspberry caramel -- the winner. We also split the fricasse which was delicious.

I'd seen the line outside and heard this place was overhyped- but we got in after waiting maybe 5 minutes and it was as good as everyone said.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
San Jose, California
“Best. Belgium. Waffles. EVER!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

After walking in a huge circle around downtown, GF needed to eat. I needed a beer and my feet needed some rest. Cafe Medina was on already my list of must eats. We arrived a little after the kitchen already closed so our options were very limited.

Oh man.... the Belgium waffles are to die for! A bit pricey for the size ($3 each) but they were delicious. Even with no toppings! Can't even imagine how it would taste with some fresh strawberries as well.

Top it off with the Pyramid apricot ale and I forgot how sore my feet were.

It's a cute little place to hang out too. I can see myself sitting here with a cup of coffee and reading a book all day. Too bad I don't read books so that's not happening.

Visited October 2012