“There's one, or two, in every city . . .” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cafe Medina

Cafe Medina
780 Richards Street, Vancouver, British Columbia V6B 3A4, Canada (Downtown)
+1 604-879-3114
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #29 of 2,821 Restaurants in Vancouver
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Comox, Canada
“There's one, or two, in every city . . .”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

You know - that little boutique restaurant, specializing in breakfasts, usually in a reclaimed building, that everyone insists you try. On a recent visit to Vancouver, the 'kids' took my wife and I to Cafe Medina 556 Beatty Street. It was an easy walk from our hotel, The Met, and soon we were in that preprandial social event - the lineup. Only 45 minutes - good deal!! A very efficient version of the breakfast maitre-d' policed the crowd, regularly called and rechecked the roll and ushered us to our table for four, through the bowels of the building to a bright a cheery room with a view of - I forget. I was facing the wrong way. But it was cheery and there was a view. My wife had the cassoulet, for me, the paella and frequent sharing took place. I know, you're thinking paella for breakfast! Ah but it was crowned with a soft cooked poached egg and avocado. Great service, fun food, wonderful coffee - an excellent choice.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

San Francisco, California
“Wait for it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We went here for breakfast one of the days of our trip to take a break from the food cart marathon we were on. Somehow, we lucked out and arrived at the perfect time to be seated right away, but the lineup started shortly after. Even if we would have had to wait out in the rain, it definitely would have been worth it.
Service: super friendly and helpful
Food: outstanding breakfast & waffles (lunch offerings looked great, but we were there for the breakfast)
Coffee: excellent coffee and tea selection
Do the right thing and go eat here!

Visited June 2013
Columbus, Ohio, United States
“Best waffles!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

Waffles were delicious and for 3 bucks each you can get 3-4 without spending too much ( they're small). The toppings were pretty good- we tried the salty caramel, milk chocolate lavender (the lavender is strong with that one) , and the raspberry caramel -- the winner. We also split the fricasse which was delicious.

I'd seen the line outside and heard this place was overhyped- but we got in after waiting maybe 5 minutes and it was as good as everyone said.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
San Jose, California
“Best. Belgium. Waffles. EVER!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

After walking in a huge circle around downtown, GF needed to eat. I needed a beer and my feet needed some rest. Cafe Medina was on already my list of must eats. We arrived a little after the kitchen already closed so our options were very limited.

Oh man.... the Belgium waffles are to die for! A bit pricey for the size ($3 each) but they were delicious. Even with no toppings! Can't even imagine how it would taste with some fresh strawberries as well.

Top it off with the Pyramid apricot ale and I forgot how sore my feet were.

It's a cute little place to hang out too. I can see myself sitting here with a cup of coffee and reading a book all day. Too bad I don't read books so that's not happening.

Visited October 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Superb!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We loved the delicious coffee, the excellent food, and the thought that has obviously been put into giving menu items a unique twist. All of the dishes we sampled were generously portioned, imaginitive and fresh.
The wait staff were a mixed bunch with the majority being friendly and helpful, but one or two who were a little on the surly side.
We disliked the giant skip outside the door (clearly not their fault), the size of the seating area (its a little cramped), and the lack of tables. We also disliked that the kitchen does not open until 9am, resulting in a huge queue outside which was up to 45 minutes long. The building is shared with the sister business which is a resturant. Why not open that side of the building for breakfast too, employ a few more wait staff, and get the kitchen open prior to 9am! I am confident it would still be packed, but without asking customers to queue next to a gigantic skip for the most part of an hour!
A magnificent breakfast venue with superb food at acceptable prices, slightly let down by almost bordering on arrogance in relation to the points raised above.

Visited May 2013