“Best waffles!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cafe Medina

Cafe Medina
780 Richards Street, Vancouver, British Columbia V6B 3A4, Canada (Downtown)
+1 604-879-3114
Neighborhood: Downtown
Columbus, Ohio, United States
“Best waffles!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

Waffles were delicious and for 3 bucks each you can get 3-4 without spending too much ( they're small). The toppings were pretty good- we tried the salty caramel, milk chocolate lavender (the lavender is strong with that one) , and the raspberry caramel -- the winner. We also split the fricasse which was delicious.

I'd seen the line outside and heard this place was overhyped- but we got in after waiting maybe 5 minutes and it was as good as everyone said.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

San Jose, California
“Best. Belgium. Waffles. EVER!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

After walking in a huge circle around downtown, GF needed to eat. I needed a beer and my feet needed some rest. Cafe Medina was on already my list of must eats. We arrived a little after the kitchen already closed so our options were very limited.

Oh man.... the Belgium waffles are to die for! A bit pricey for the size ($3 each) but they were delicious. Even with no toppings! Can't even imagine how it would taste with some fresh strawberries as well.

Top it off with the Pyramid apricot ale and I forgot how sore my feet were.

It's a cute little place to hang out too. I can see myself sitting here with a cup of coffee and reading a book all day. Too bad I don't read books so that's not happening.

Visited October 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Superb!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We loved the delicious coffee, the excellent food, and the thought that has obviously been put into giving menu items a unique twist. All of the dishes we sampled were generously portioned, imaginitive and fresh.
The wait staff were a mixed bunch with the majority being friendly and helpful, but one or two who were a little on the surly side.
We disliked the giant skip outside the door (clearly not their fault), the size of the seating area (its a little cramped), and the lack of tables. We also disliked that the kitchen does not open until 9am, resulting in a huge queue outside which was up to 45 minutes long. The building is shared with the sister business which is a resturant. Why not open that side of the building for breakfast too, employ a few more wait staff, and get the kitchen open prior to 9am! I am confident it would still be packed, but without asking customers to queue next to a gigantic skip for the most part of an hour!
A magnificent breakfast venue with superb food at acceptable prices, slightly let down by almost bordering on arrogance in relation to the points raised above.

Visited May 2013
Dorset,UK
“Excellent brunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

Visited the Cafe Medina for brunch during a recent stay in Vancouver. Excellent menu, great atmosphere, lovely service

Visited May 2013
Sooke, Canada
“Oh my, waffles!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

My daughter wanted waffles for breakfast which was fine wih me because she was paying for our trip to Vancouver. We chose Cafe Medina when she read they served a lavendar infused topping. This place is hopping busy - fortunately we were seated fairly quickly, along with three other groups, in a back room that seems to serve as an overflow area for Medina and another eatery operated by the same people - I believe the room is called the Chamber.
Despite how busy they were we received our menus promptly and everything was served quickly. We both ordered the lavender latte, me because it just sounded so good despite my not being a huge latte fan, it was delicious but could have been a bit hotter. Then it was onto waffles. We ordered two, deciding against the lavender for the white chocolate with pistachio and rosewater. I understand the need for the white chocolate as a binder although I am sure something else could be used (maybe) to further enhance the pistachio and rose water - mouthwatering! Just the right amount for our shared, delicious waffles. My only concern was the assumption we would be eating off one plate - we had to ask for serving plates. Otherwise the presentation was simple and inviting. We also shared one of the egg dishes - the name completely escapes me now! I do not enjoy eggs that art not completely cooked through so it was wonderful they got it right. Included was a serving of baked beans, definitely home cooked, that brought back memories of beans my mother would bake - just a little tinge of burnt (is it just me who likes that) mixed with a perfect sauce and bacon.
As the back room filled up quickly I can only assume the place is a favourite for locals and visitors - make it one of yours!

• Visited May 2013