“best brunch ever” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cafe Medina

Cafe Medina
780 Richards Street, Vancouver, British Columbia V6B 3A4, Canada (Downtown)
+1 604-879-3114
Neighborhood: Downtown
Palma de Mallorca, Islas Baleares, Spain
“best brunch ever”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We managed to visit Cafe medina when visiting vancouver to see family last year. I waned something hearty, warmy and cosy. Cafe Medina is just that and the food is executed perfectly. Plus, I the coffee is delish! Visited here for lunch and had the Tagine breakfast plate. Served in a terracotta bowl with two soft poached eggs and the scrumiest merguez sausage, it was a highlight of our trip. Wasn't too busy on a winter weekday, though I think we were lucky to get there before the lunch rush..... and the line-up Every table was full. And the decor was funky and interesting.

Not to mention my husband's dish of smoked salmon and caper creme fraiche. B.C smoked salmon is unbeatable. It is obvious that the chef, Nico, is trained. And to have such an eclectic choice for a menu is refreshing and exciting. A little expensive, though the ingredients were top-notch. And the service could be a tad faster. But, hey, I was chilled by the end of it.

• Visited December 2012

Toronto, Canada
“A 2-hour wait which was totally worth it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I came here with my boyfriend a while back for brunch because it was so highly raved about. We went around 12pm and as expected, there was a line. No biggie - we put down our name and walked around... we came back an hour later and the line was STILL long and our names were still very far down the list. We asked the guy at the front how much longer and all he responded with was "we'll have you in before we close"... what does that mean? When will that be? We ended up going DT Vancouver for an hour before going back and by this time it was already 2:30pm... we still had a good 4-5 tables in front. I was starving at this time and then the waiter offered us a table at the bar and we jumped on it because we couldn't wait anymore! Talk about a long wait for brunch... this was more like an afternoon tea.

Anyway, we ordered off the bunch menu and a few drinks as well. The green tea latte wasn't bad but a bit bland. When our orders came, I got the Fricasse which was divine! I was also super hungry but everything was so rich in flavor and tasted better than I expected. I loved the presentation as well and it's a good portion size. My bf ordered Les Boulettes and although I don't like poached eggs much, the meatballs were good. You can really taste all the ingredients that they're putting into the food and I love that distinction - makes it worthwhile. The portion sizes are also just enough to make you full but not over the top to make you sick. The service was also exceptional and everyone was very friendly.

Besides my long rant, the food is SO worth it! There aren't many places that I would say is "worth a 2-hour wait" but Cafe Medina passes that test. The offerings aren't huge but everything we tried was unique and flavorful. The price is average for brunch in my opinion so I would definitely go again. Although next time we'll probably head down when it opens... I highly recommend it as one of the best places I've eaten at in Vancouver!

• Visited February 2013
Toluca Lake, California
“Great Lunch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Took a day trip to Vancouver with friends from Washington and had lunch here. Great Vibe, great food, great service, excellent coffee, Love Vancouver!

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Fantastic tasty breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

Arrived at 11am on weekday. Front room was already full so were ushered to the back where there was still space. Clientele mostly media types sporting asymmetric haircuts and facial hair so we stuck out a bit as a family; but were made to feel welcome nonetheless.
Great selection of egg based breakfasts covering different mediterranean countries. Went for the "tagine" which was really a merquez sausage and chickpea stew plus a couple of poached eggs. Was slightly spicy, well seasoned and tasted delicious. Quite a big portion and was enough to share between two, especially if you have one of their signature waffles too.
Next time will return sans kids and try their lunch menu.

Calgary, Canada
“Great brunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We got there about an hour after it opened and we had to wait for about 30mins. Once we were inside, it was great. The tables are jammed pack together - I felt like I was in London. I wouldn't have minded the closeness if the lady next to me wasn't coughing every 3 minutes!

The food was fantastic - the lavender latte I was dying to try was.... surprisingly just okay, perhaps I expected too much. Nonetheless, the food and the waffles are fantastic. Worth 30mins wait in the cold (but not too, too cold).

• Visited March 2013