“Food Excellent, Service Variable, Decor Drab” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Globe @ YVR

Globe @ YVR
US Departures Terminal - Vancouver Airport, Vancouver, British Columbia V7B1X9, Canada
Improve this listing
Ranked #308 of 2,846 Restaurants in Vancouver
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
London,UK
“Food Excellent, Service Variable, Decor Drab”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We dined here twice in a matter of weeks, both times the food was excellent, though the service was variable. The second time the service was excellent, the first amateur at best, but chatting to our waitron the second time the issue was a known server who might no longer be there. So giving the benefit of the doubt this will concentrate on the second visit.

Fine dining at an airport isn't usual but as the Fairmont Hotel is IN the airport it makes sense! The ambience is a little hotel lobby lacking warmth and intimacy so I wouldn't recommend this for honeymooners!

The welcome was genuine and warm. We joined our friends at the table as they arrived before us. Aperitifs were offered and gratefully accepted along with our water choice. For starters I had the seared Qualicum Bay with bacon and eggs carbonara and meyer lemon marmalade. The carbonara was incredibly tasty and induced a yearning for paglia e fieno which I later satisfied at home. The main was a tasty sea food paella. This was beautifully presented with fresh sea food. I'd opted to swap the pork belly for chorizo. My only slightly negative comment would be that the rice seemed more like arborio so the paella had a more risotto like consistency.

We all enjoyed the food - this really is a top class restaurant. It helps that the open plan kitchen is right there visible - we actually sat by the pass!

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Vancouver, Canada
“Good, but not "wow"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Went here for their high tea with a coupon I got from groupon. The high tea set came with a choice of tea. There weren't that many varieties to choose from. I got their egyptian chamomile tea, and it came in a big jug. The flavour wasn't really strong, and it didn't taste very good. The savory part of the high tea was impressive. I especially enjoyed their aged chedder and apple with basil leaf sandwich. I loved the fresh basil taste with chedder, the flavours really came well together. The scones were also delicious. The butter that came with is was so creamy that my sister ended up eating plain butter with her spoon! Now I wasn't a big fan of their sweets. Everything was either too sweet, or had a really bad texture. I'd say the whole set was a little too pricey for $39 per person value, but overall, I had a great time! I would come back for their high tea if they switch up the sweets and if I have another coupon!

Vancouver
“Lunch @ Globe @ YVR”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Lunch was just OK. I had the fish and chips. The fish was not that fresh and the chips were very salty. On the positive the staff, service, view and ambience was great.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Phoenix, Arizona
“VERY GOOD FOOD, NICE AMBIANCE AND QUALITY SERVICE”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

While spending the night at the Fairmont Vancouver Airport, we dined at the restaurant and, although pricey, the meal was very good. My husband’s fillet was perfectly done and the Béarnaise sauce did not congeal into a gooey mess, as often happens. My mushroom-stuffed ravioli was so good it could convince me to become a vegetarian. Our server was courteous and kept things moving. The wine list was fair with only a few moderately priced choices (this was our experience everywhere in Vancouver...drink beer if possible). All in all, this restaurant did a good job considering it serves a captive audience.

London
“Delicious burger, great views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I was staying at the hotel and wanted to eat out but at the end of the day I was so exhausted I stayed in. I was pleasantly surprised, two delicious cocktails and then a really delcious burger - loved the crispy onions, and I'm very fussy about my burgers.

Visited June 2013